Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Mar 9, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #556 of 2,737
In the case of the Miles Davis album, I was listening in the office from a CL AlgoRhythm Trio/AK120II rig. After a few mins I switched to the AK120II and liked it better, which proved to me that you don't need a powerful source to drive the Cascade. I'm not partial to Sony DAPs––I've always been partial to the AK & FiiO sound––so I can't speak to the 4.4 balanced connection (in fact, CA, what up with the not having 2.5mm balanced cable option??). By far the best source I've tried with the Cascade (again, portable, as I view the Cascade as a stellar travel headphone option), is the AK SP1000.

Mar 9, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #557 of 2,737
20180217_193752.jpg

Sony fan myself.

Cascade loves it too. I am really stoked to finally have an over ear that satisfies me in sound, build quality and over all design.

Life is good!

Mar 9, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #558 of 2,737
I asked about the 2.5mm balanced at CanJam NYC and they said it's coming. When I ordered the 4.4mm for the Cascade they mentioned that the 2.5mm balanced and 3.5mm SXC 8 for the Cascade would be available in April.

Mar 9, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #560 of 2,737
iBasso DX200 with Amp 4

(MMCX Version)

What does the Cascade's sound like on the AMP4? I'm still waiting on my balanced cable, but through AMP5 the is bass is still a little too rounded for my tastes. Really regretting selling AMP3 now, since that tightens up the mid-bass in favor for more sub, unlike AMP4, which does the opposite. I'm only on my 3rd day of burn in though and haven't tried the filters yet.

I do like the treble though. It's not your standard V-shape frequency response where it's ridiculously boosted. It's more tamed like the ZMF Atticus or Sony MDR-Z1R.

Regarding isolation, I thought it was pretty poor at first. In my quiet room, it seemed to noticeably leak if you were listening loud enough, but in the office with more ambient noise, you can't hear it at all.

Edit: Just got my tracking notification for the balanced. I'll find out soon enough!

* Forgot @twister6 did an DX200 amp comparison with the Campfire Vega. Looks like AMP4 might actually be a better match. Explains why it sounds a little too smooth with the AMP5 too.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #563 of 2,737
i am starting to think Cascade is better than Utopia for my tastes... always reaching for this warm-bassy-blooming sound, it's really lovely.
Second to that.

Mar 9, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #564 of 2,737
Even though I did not care for the Cascade's sound, I think it's cool that so many hobbyists seem smitten with it. It shows at least that Campfire has some insight into how cater to different tastes effectively. Hardly surprising, given the assortment of IEMs they have on offer.

With some additional ergonomic and finish tweaks/improvements to the design, I'm looking forward to seeing what @KB and Caleb can come up with next. :thumbsup:

Mar 9, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #565 of 2,737
Even though I did not care for the Cascade's sound, I think it's cool that so many hobbyists seem smitten with it. It shows at least that Campfire has some insight into how cater to different tastes effectively. Hardly surprising, given the assortment of IEMs they have on offer.

With some additional ergonomic and finish tweaks/improvements to the design, I'm looking forward to seeing what @KB and Caleb can come up with next. :thumbsup:

did you listen to a fully broken-in set? it's really quite something when it settles in.

Mar 9, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #567 of 2,737
i am starting to think Cascade is better than Utopia for my tastes... always reaching for this warm-bassy-blooming sound, it's really lovely.
The cascade is all about the music isn't it? A lot of the Cascade sound is what music really sounds like. It's like it's got your attention.
What does this mean? Like they should put a sticker or two on it? The headphone is great the way it is. Why over-engineer it?
They could do an open version. Or do a $3500 headphone just for the hell of it, since everyone and his uncle is doing it.

Mar 9, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #568 of 2,737
I'm at work, and just listened to Art Blakey - Moanin via Tidal Master, thanks for the introduction, very nice and sounds good on my Etymotics. I'll try with my cascades this evening and let you know if it sounds odd.

The crackling sound was introduce by the new firmware (1.20) on my Fiio X5III. Was OKwith previous version 1.18

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #569 of 2,737
did you listen to a fully broken-in set? it's really quite something when it settles in.

That's an excellent question. Do we have any semi-official guidance on what constitutes "broken-in? Initially I played pink noise for about 2 days thru them at 70% of my macbookpro.

Now I've read some people are burning them in for 200+ hours? Also, is there an optimal volume? Can you go too high from a non-amped source?

Mar 9, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #570 of 2,737
That's an excellent question. Do we have any semi-official guidance on what constitutes "broken-in? Initially I played pink noise for about 2 days thru them at 70% of my macbookpro.

Now I've read some people are burning them in for 200+ hours? Also, is there an optimal volume? Can you go too high from a non-amped source?

There's a Spotify playlist for headphone burn in that I use. It includes stuff like pink noise, sine sweeps, bass tests, and a crap ton of songs in between. I just play that from my iPad at normal listening volume for a week straight (excluding times I listen to it myself).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back