Cartridge Recommendations
Jul 28, 2004 at 8:43 PM Post #16 of 24
Jack's will have the Shure M97xE in stock by August 5th and gave me a very good quote - cheaper than I could find it anywhere else and significantly cheaper than the AT cartridge. If this cart is any good it seems like a good value.

Jul 28, 2004 at 9:03 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
.......and get those records clean somehow. As I said earlier, and as JMT recently discovered, a clean record makes a WORLD of difference.[/url]

Yes, I've been thinking about this, too. I read the threads about record cleaning but the machines you guys use are really expensive. I'm used to the old Stanton or D5 velvet brushes and alcohol/water cleaning fluid or whatever it is. (Geez it's been a long time since I've cleaned a record!) Besides those very expensive cleaning machines is there any recommended products to clean/treat your vinyl that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I've seen lots of stuff advertised ranging from $15 to $75 or more but I'm not sure what actually works. What about that Vinyl-Zyme stuff TTVJ sells? Does that work? And what's the best way to apply it?

Jul 28, 2004 at 9:52 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
Anybody want to lend me their Grado Blue?
eggosmile.gif

I would not ask for a blue- I think you should ask for the Grado Statement!
eggosmile.gif

I may be able to help you out, but it'll have to wait until the weekend when I have time to sort through my junk... I think I have a grado gold in a box stored away somewhere. I'll PM if and when I find it. I was hoping one of the New York analog gang would step up first so I didn't have to go digging!

But you'll also need a few other things... do you still at least have the template for aligning the cartridge? Also may be worth getting a strobe disc to be check the speed accuracy.

Drewski

Jul 28, 2004 at 11:12 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by drewski
I would not ask for a blue- I think you should ask for the Grado Statement!
eggosmile.gif

I may be able to help you out, but it'll have to wait until the weekend when I have time to sort through my junk... I think I have a grado gold in a box stored away somewhere. I'll PM if and when I find it. I was hoping one of the New York analog gang would step up first so I didn't have to go digging!

But you'll also need a few other things... do you still at least have the template for aligning the cartridge? Also may be worth getting a strobe disc to be check the speed accuracy.

Drewski

Technics makes an overhang gauge for its headshells, which means you don't need to use a protractor. If the original poster doesn't have the gauge, KABUSA sells them for $1.50 (plus shipping).

Also, the SL-1900 has pitch adjustment, so it has a built-in strobe.

Jeffery

Jul 29, 2004 at 3:49 AM Post #20 of 24
Jul 29, 2004 at 4:13 AM Post #21 of 24
Thanks for the Audiogon find, although considering how little I'm probably going to use the turntable I'm not sure I want to go that far. Buying a $75 cartridge is more my speed. But I know where you're coming from.

Yes, I'll need to get the guage and yes, the SL 1900 has a built in strobe.

Oh and drewski, I appreciate the offer but if it's a pain don't sweat it.

Jul 29, 2004 at 6:23 AM Post #22 of 24
If all you're dealing with is an extreme case of fuzz (dust, hair, etc.), the AudioQuest brush at $15 will more than suffice. Moreover, it eliminates static charge on record surfaces which is by itself a cause of significant distortion during playback. Don't be afraid to run it across a disk six or seven times. You'd be surprised by how much the fibers continue to gather even after the obvious debris have cleared. Then again, if you have something especially nasty, I'm sure one of the nice people here would give it the wet-vacuum treatment for someone a little less vinyl crazed.

NGF

Jul 29, 2004 at 7:31 AM Post #23 of 24
erikzen: I'd recommend to ask some dealers for cartridges recommendations for your table. I know a bit about cartridges for light to medium arms, but I'd suspect the Technics to be on the medium to heavy side, so the choice of cartridge should be decided in respect to that...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jul 29, 2004 at 1:50 PM Post #24 of 24
Good point lini. I will certainly ask before I buy anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back