Cartridge Recommendations
Jul 27, 2004 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

erikzen

06 National Meet Co-Coordinator
100% THD and S/N = 0
I've been planning a project to convert my albums to CD for a long time and I think I'm finally going to get started over the next couple of months. The first step however is to get a turntable working.

I have a Technics SL-1900 turntable, which as far as I can tell is functioning properly mechanically. However, it does not have a cartridge so I can't tell if it is sonically working.

I am going to be converting my albums to CD by using the XP Sound XP201 input into my soundcard.

Although this is an "archival" project, I am obviously not going to get top quality sound, although I hope it will be good enough for listening through my modest headphone gear.

What is a decent cartridge to buy that will fit my turntable and allow me to get decent sound? In the "old days" Stanton and Shure used to be the names I knew and of course there is Grado. How do I get the right fit?

Jul 28, 2004 at 3:59 PM Post #2 of 24
Try asking the same question in Todd/vinyl/junkie's forum.
I don't know enough beyond pointing to lower priced carts.
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48

EDIT: Oh...you're already there.
600smile.gif

Jul 28, 2004 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
EDIT: Oh...you're already there.
600smile.gif

Yeah, when I didn't get any responses here I thought I'd post there.

Maybe that turntable is not worth spending any money on. It was part of the "dowry" I received when I married my wife.
tongue.gif

Instead of spending $150 on a good Grado cartridge, maybe it's better to buy a whole new budget turntable.

Jul 28, 2004 at 4:35 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
Instead of spending $150 on a good Grado cartridge, maybe it's better to buy a whole new budget turntable.

I'm not big on recommendations but I did buy a budget table a few weeks ago that I'm satisfied with. I chose based on print reviews not available online (British mags-Hifi+, Hifi Choice, What Hifi & Canadian- Inner Ear)
But I noticed a new online review at 6Moons.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/project/project.html

So you can add it to your list of candidates in the $400USD range.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 24
I've read about, and personally experienced, the dreaded Grado "hum" with Technics TTs. I would look around for a decent Shure, Stanton, or Audio Technica. The Vinyl Asylum at Audioasylum has a lot of info regarding cartridges. Right now, I'm using a vintage Empire TT/cartridge combo. Is it high-end?.......well, it used to be, but I'm sure there are much better sounding vinyl rigs available....... but, with clean records (a must!), it sounds damned good to me!
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2004 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
I've read about, and personally experienced, the dreaded Grado "hum" with Technics TTs.

Yikes! I wouldn't want to spend $150 (or even $40) for a Grado cartridge only to have it hum.

Thanks for the advice. I will check out the Vinyl Asylum for more cartridge info.

Do I want to spend $400 on a new turntable? Probably not, but it's a consideration. However, I'm not sure that after I rip my albums I'm going to get much use out of a turntable. With babies and toddlers around and no dedicated A/V room, CDs and computer setups are just more practical.

I remember back when all we listened to were turntables, it didn't cost that much for a decent one. Maybe I need to adjust for inflation or the fact that I don't live with my parents anymore.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 28, 2004 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
Yikes! I wouldn't want to spend $150 (or even $40) for a Grado cartridge only to have it hum.

Thanks for the advice. I will check out the Vinyl Asylum for more cartridge info.

Do I want to spend $400 on a new turntable? Probably not, but it's a consideration. However, I'm not sure that after I rip my albums I'm going to get much use out of a turntable. With babies and toddlers around and no dedicated A/V room, CDs and computer setups are just more practical.

I remember back when all we listened to were turntables, it didn't cost that much for a decent one. Maybe I need to adjust for inflation or the fact that I don't live with my parents anymore.
rolleyes.gif

For $400, you probably won't be able to best your SL-1900. The SL-1200 MKII (which I use, $400 retail) is more solidly built and offers adjustable VTA, but assuming the motor of your SL-1900 spins accurately, I recommend keeping it.

Cartridges. Lots of choices. How much are looking to spend? My favorite in the $100 and under range is the Audio Technica AT440ML. My favorite in the $200 and under range is the Shure V15VxMR (on sale at Jack's Music Factory). I've tried Stantons (didn't like the dark sound) and Grados (no hum, but lots of tracking problems) in these price ranges.

Jeffery

Jul 28, 2004 at 5:44 PM Post #8 of 24
ehh, he may be able to do alright. I originally obtained a brand new MMF-5 w/ goldring cart for only $425 shipped from an authorized dealer--someone who got in early on one of those might try to spread the wealth when they upgrade. As long as you don't mind going used I think $400 is a respectable amount to throw into a table and cart.

Jul 28, 2004 at 6:04 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher
ehh, he may be able to do alright. I originally obtained a brand new MMF-5 w/ goldring cart for only $425 shipped from an authorized dealer--someone who got in early on one of those might try to spread the wealth when they upgrade. As long as you don't mind going used I think $400 is a respectable amount to throw into a table and cart.

"USED" is the key word. And I'm not the only one not impressed by the build quality and pitch stability of the under $500 Music Hall tables.

Jeffery

Jul 28, 2004 at 6:11 PM Post #10 of 24
erikzen: Do you only need the cartridge, or is the removable headshell missing as well?

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jul 28, 2004 at 6:14 PM Post #11 of 24
I like the Shure M-97XE which can be found for less than $70 online. It's clean and clear with no terrible flaws and has a low tracing force. Best of all, it doesn't hum or dance as most Grados like to. Run a search at the Vinyl Asylum as I remember it being brought up recently.

NGF

Jul 28, 2004 at 6:27 PM Post #12 of 24
lini: the headshell is attached to the tonearm so just the cartridge is needed.

I already have a used turntable so spending another $400 to buy another one is not ideal, although I do realize you're suggesting a TT that has a much better pedigree.

All I really want to do is put a decent cartridge on this thing that will be suitable for ripping albums to my computer and possibly spending some time in my decidedly mid-fi home stereo setup. Preferably, I'd like to spend <$200.

I'm happy to try any of the recommendations given: Shure V15VxMR, Shure M-97XE and the Audio Technica AT440ML, although I'm wondering if the more expensive Shure is going to be worth it considering the other equipment.

Jul 28, 2004 at 8:20 PM Post #13 of 24
I personally like the inexpensive Grado cartridges- they provide very good value and good sound. Ask around and see if you can borrow one to see if it hums with your setup- many people have these as backup/spares. If you have the hum issue, see if you can ground the tonearm base, the spindle base, and anything else that is metal to a common ground. I had an awful hum for a while, but by grounding everything, it completely went away.

Jul 28, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #14 of 24
Anybody want to lend me their Grado Blue?
eggosmile.gif

Jul 28, 2004 at 8:42 PM Post #15 of 24
I'd say go for the M97XE. I purchased one about 6 months ago and, installed in a vintage ARxa TT, the sound is very neutral to my ears. Not as exciting (elevated upper midrange?) as the Grado Black that I have in a Technics TT, but then again, no hum either. I have a feeling the Shure is more faithful to the source. And it tracks just about anything you can throw at it.
IIRC, I picked mine up for around $65 shipped. Here's the link.......you have to request a price quote and they'll e-mail you pretty quickly. Good luck!.......and get those records clean somehow. As I said earlier, and as JMT recently discovered, a clean record makes a WORLD of difference.
biggrin.gif

http://www.ttdabomb.com/default.asp?...oup=Audiophile

Users who are viewing this thread

Back