Cardas replacement for HD650 cable any good ?
Jan 18, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostOne.TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, good choice. Asking cause I have one I'm planning to sell soon.

which amp btw?

Cayin Ha-1A. I auditioned it a few days ago but the other ones in its price range has to either be shipped via overseas and go through customs and end up costing much more or I have to assemble it myself, either of which meant that it would've been hard to just "try out" and if I didn't care for it, returning would be a PITA.

The wires do look as good as I bet they sound, though. Good luck with selling.

For the OP, I've never heard the Cardas cable being WORSE than stock. At worst, people could tell no difference.

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #17 of 31
Geruvah didn't you just buy all that gear in your sig recently? LOL already upgrading.

to OP, I've only used the stock HD580 and HD650 cables and found no difference. I have an APureSound cable on order, but it's a balanced XLR cable and will be connected to new equipment so I won't be able to directly compare. I'm not much of a believer in high dollar cables, but in this case I wanted to make sure I had a well made cable and the right connector (4 pin). The cable itself set me back $230, which is the same as I paid for the HD600, but in the grand scheme $230 is manageable.

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Geruvah didn't you just buy all that gear in your sig recently? LOL already upgrading.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah I need to stay away from hearing other equipment...there was a very audible difference too. I don't even think my amp is a week old. I just didn't expect to really get into this.

You say the right connector is the 4 pin? Does that mean that it's more common than, say, two 3 pin xlrs?

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geruvah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah I need to stay away from hearing other equipment...there was a very audible difference too. I don't even think my amp is a week old. I just didn't expect to really get into this.

You say the right connector is the 4 pin? Does that mean that it's more common than, say, two 3 pin amps?

At least I was able to stick with my LDMKIII for 3 months before going balanced
L3000.gif

What about the connector? The 4 pin xlr is less common than 2x3pin, but really a 4pin is more efficient because only 4 pins out of the 6 in the 2x3pin setup are actually used. The LDMKVI has only the 4pin output so that's the cable I got. It seems like most of the DIY and some of the manfactured balanced amps lately are moving towards 4 pin, which makes sense. There are no ready made cables from Sennheiser directly that use a 4 pin connector so I had to go aftermarket.

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #20 of 31
Ah got it (and also fixed my little word mistake). In a couple of months a friend and I are going to be doing a DIY cable and I was torn on its termination for whenever I upgrade. The wire that'll be used is still up in the air, which is why I was paying attention to the answers the OP would get.

Jan 19, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #21 of 31
Well the good thing about DIY cables is if you need a different termination just lop it off and put the new one on.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll get into DIY at some point, but right now I just want a good mid-high setup.

Jan 19, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #22 of 31
I had the same problem with the Apuresound V3 with the sound drop-outs when the cable tapped my desk. I sent it back and got an Equinox (Diffferent Connectors) and it works like a champ. Sounds much nicer IMO than the V3 as well.

Jan 19, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #23 of 31
Not sure what sound comparison you can make with an obviously faulty connection.

Jan 19, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Not sure what sound comparison you can make with an obviously faulty connection.

The drop-outs happened about 3 times a week. It was not a constant thing. The V3 brought out the entire midrange and wasnt very natural and the Equinox added more bass impact and made the midrange more forward where vocals reside (Lifted the veil if you will).
wink.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #25 of 31
Hm, well I'll have to see how my new setup works together synergy-wise before I start swapping cables around.

Jan 19, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Hm, well I'll have to see how my new setup works together synergy-wise before I start swapping cables around.

It just seemed that SAA purposely developed a cable to compensate for the 2 short comings the 650 has. The V3 was nice but made for a preponderance of midrange and reduced the lows a bit. The V# uses silver coated copper and silver is just not my thing, but I do see why some people would like the sound you get from silver.

Jan 19, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It just seemed that SAA purposely developed a cable to compensate for the 2 short comings the 650 has. The V3 was nice but made for a preponderance of midrange and reduced the lows a bit. The V# uses silver coated copper and silver is just not my thing, but I do see why some people would like the sound you get from silver.

Ah you have 650s. I'll be using 600s. I was 'instructed' by Headphoneaddict to get HD600s for balanced, and after some of the reading I've done today I'm glad I went for them instead of 650s.

Jan 19, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Ah you have 650s. I'll be using 600s. I was 'instructed' by Headphoneaddict to get HD600s for balanced, and after some of the reading I've done today I'm glad I went for them instead of 650s.

Y

Jan 19, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #29 of 31
Taking to pm so as to not derail the tread further.

Mar 2, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #30 of 31
Honestly, people who can't hear the diff between the stock Senn cable and the Cardas HAVE to be DEAF!!!! There is so much more air around the notes when Cardas cable is in use, the soundstage become holographic, the treble extends and delivers MUCH more harmonic content than stock. Also the bass extends wayyyyy deeper and is much better well controlled. I've mistakenly sold my cardas cable, and now every moment that I listen to HD650 in stock cabling is pure agony. Have had trouble buying one used, so bought one brand new again. Worth every penny IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back