Car Stereo Powered Subs
Dec 20, 2006 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

DarkAngel

DarkAngel's a man, baby!
Looking for bass boost for my small car with new Pioneer 6800 CD deck and 4 Alpine 6.5" speakers (2 in door, 2 in rear deck) Just looking for some punch/extension for rock etc with deeper tight clean bass, not looking for boomy rap thumpers.

For simplicity and cost savings I was looking at small powered sub units like:
-Kenwood KSC-SW1
-Infinity Basslink

Anyone tried these or similar products?

Dec 21, 2006 at 8:21 AM Post #2 of 12
Well being a car audio guy Im going to try and talk you out of the pre made setup. You can take a nice 10" sub, something like an Image Dynamics IDQ or one of the Dayton drivers off of partsexpress.com, put it in a 1 cube sealed box and attach a small ~400 watt class D to it and haev a much better setup, for prob about the same cost.
-greg

Dec 21, 2006 at 10:06 AM Post #3 of 12
phergus is right. you could do a quality 10" driver in a 1cu box. with a 200w mono amp. it would slam and be tight without being obnoxious.

i'd do a jl w3v3, and a rf p325.1 more money then the all in one but acceptable sound.

have a shop build a box. a basic box should actually be included with that deal. compared to bass tubes or whatever this is a lot better.

music_man

Dec 21, 2006 at 1:22 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by phergus_25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well being a car audio guy Im going to try and talk you out of the pre made setup. You can take a nice 10" sub, something like an Image Dynamics IDQ or one of the Dayton drivers off of partsexpress.com, put it in a 1 cube sealed box and attach a small ~400 watt class D to it and haev a much better setup, for prob about the same cost.
-greg

Infinity basslinks (10" speaker + 10" passive radiator + 200 watt amp) are very cheap at Amazon $172, plus size is smaller overall than 1ft cube box in trunk. Also basslink has many sound controls built into unit although they duplicate some that Poineer 6800 head unit already does.

I went into local sound shop that had the pre-made carpet covered sub boxes, and he suggested same approach with 10" subwoofer + box + amp except his total came to $300-400........also the sound coming from his sample systems was absolutely ghastly and I was be scared to let him do anything to my system
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #5 of 12
The basslinks wont be completely horrible, and is deff the easy way to go, and I exect it will make you happy. But one word of warning, most local car audio shops know enought to incorrectly install things, and thats about it. If you want to go bigger let me know and we could come up with a system for less than 300, but as i said dont listen to a local shop. And with all honesty the Infinity rig wil probably keep you happy.
-greg
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Infinity basslinks (10" speaker + 10" passive radiator + 200 watt amp) are very cheap at Amazon $172, plus size is smaller overall than 1ft cube box in trunk. Also basslink has many sound controls built into unit although they duplicate some that Poineer 6800 head unit already does.

I went into local sound shop that had the pre-made carpet covered sub boxes, and he suggested same approach with 10" subwoofer + box + amp except his total came to $300-400........also the sound coming from his sample systems was absolutely ghastly and I was be scared to let him do anything to my system
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2006 at 3:13 PM Post #6 of 12
lol most car audio shops suck! I've done my own installs for years after the local "best in town" dealer installed my seperates without even sealing them! talk about ZERO bass response.

goto http://www.caraudio.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6

it's the equivalent of this place for car audio.

Dec 21, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #7 of 12
Im actually installing a system today, JL fronts, ALpine backs on a Directed audio 4 ch amp. O yea, and a Pioneer MP6800.
HEres a pic of an enclosure i did:
DSCF0151.jpg

Dec 21, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #8 of 12
Basslink = poop

I dunno where people think they sound dece, but hop into a STi and they have the Basslink...and boy does it suck. My GFs Neon with stock stereo sounds better than a Basslink....and they're 6x9s. Here little Neon has some thump for it being an OEM speaker set.

I listened to the Basslink when it first came out in the early millenia, and it didn't sound all that great, and I've heard the ones in the STi's, so if there's any difference between the 1st gen ones, the ones in the STi's and the ones you can buy out in stores, give it a shot I guess, but the two I've heard were poo.

But Phergus is 1978364598734659786235 % right. I ran a Boston in a Passive box (the one with the radiator on the back...that you buy like that). They discontinued them for a couple years, but recently reintroduced them. Those things, because of the passive radiator on the back, hits like 2 subs, but only takes the space up of a Basslink. I have never heard such clean and plentiful bass (oh trust me, if you want them to, they can rattle your car apart) come from something that takes up so little space.

Dec 21, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #9 of 12
i don't even know why the sti has that. how stupid. strip the car so it will go fast with only 300bhp. then add that so the stereo can still impress the young buyer. seems dumb. either you want a rally car or a system car. can't have both.

music_man

Dec 21, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #10 of 12
Pioneer vs Alpine
Which head unit sounds better?

The Pioneer 6800 I just got has tons of features and perhaps overkill with very active display.......but sound seems very bright with 4 Alpine 6.5 speakers, preset EQs are basically useless they sound so bright.

I have to use heavy EQ to cut treble to get sound back to normal range, would comaprable Alpine model be any better?

BTW previous deck was a 10yr old Alpine casette deck that sounded much more natural and balanced.
frown.gif

Dec 23, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #12 of 12
Kenwood Excelon > Alpine

I love alpine decks, but my Excelon blew every Alpine deck I've ever listened to out of the water.

But Eclipses sound nice...I just don't dig thier sound sig. And well, I like the Excelon features and looks better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back