Car junkies, help!
Jul 7, 2007 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

wafflesomd

500+ Head-Fier
So yah, that 97' Malibu I recently got, has one huge mother of a problem.

It's leaking coolant, somewhere.

This car has had this problem for ahwile, even before my dad gave it to me.

In many cases, I will fill up the coolant tank with either, water(it's all I have sometimes), or Dex-cool. I will start the car, then bam, empty coolant tank light comes on.

What? I'm pretty sure I just filled it up...

In other cases, the car will drive fine for a week. Then I will stop. As I get out of the car, coolant will spill out of the bottom, almost as if you were just pouring coolant into the ground.

There is obviously a leak...... somewhere
rolleyes.gif

I just can't find it myself....

I want to take it to a mechanic, but I'm unsure that I can trust the mechanic, and that he may overcharge me for some part I don't need.

Jul 7, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #2 of 3
Does anyone in your family have their "own" mechanic? Someone they been using for many years and are on friends basis with? If your dad doesn't have anyone like that, ask your relatives... someone always has a good mechanic.

Jul 7, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #3 of 3
Is it the 3800 engine? Does it ever overheat, or has it overheated in the past? You can go to AutoZone and rent a cooling system pressure tester, fill the cooling system and attach the tester. Pressurize the system to the same pressure as the radiator cap (it should say on it, and check for leaks. Does and white smoke/steam ever come out the tailpipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back