Car cassette adapters
Sep 15, 2008 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Scott549

100+ Head-Fier
I have two cars that have cassette players and no auxiliary inputs, so I've been using cassette adapters. I've found that they are generally bad quality; the wire usually goes bad within a year or so. The latest to fail was one from Griffin. The sound quality has been generally OK, but I wonder whether some are better than others.

Is there any info available about the durability and sound quality of cassette adapters?

Sep 16, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 10
I used those for years and still need one for one car I drive. I also had some quality issues...but interestingly I learned that sound quality can vary pretty significantly from one make to another. The best sounding one I ever had was a "Rio" branded one that died before it's time. Since then I've used Sony, Phillips, Magnavox, and yes...the XM one you link with the Phillips probably being my favorite. The XM didn't sound too great and I ended up removing the wire to use it as a "dummy" tape for another application.

Selection is dwindling on these so you may not have much choice anymore....

Edit: The cheap ones are pretty loud also. You can here those plastic gears turning when the volume level is low.

Sep 16, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #5 of 10
Cassette adapters are generally pretty awful with FM transmitters close behind. I recommend adding an aux input to your car headend. Check out USA Spec and P.I.E. to see if they may make an aux input adapter that is compatable with your vehicle. They are easy to install and work very, very well. The cost is a bit higher, but it is worthwhile.

Sep 16, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #6 of 10
I had one of those years back for my PCDP, I think it was made by Goodmans and the sound quality was terrible, It lasted about a week then went into the rubbish.

Sep 16, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by HulkSmashNow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use this one with my 4GB Clip and my nearly fifteen-year old car's stereo:

Walmart.com: Philips Cassette Adapter: Audio

And it provides fairly high quality sound, although the Clip's excellent SQ doesn't hurt.

All the best,
Brad

LOL - after trying 5 the 6th worked - and it was the same as yours HSN!!!!
L3000.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL - after trying 5 the 6th worked - and it was the same as yours HSN!!!!
L3000.gif

Cool! Enjoy it, my friend.

Brad

Sep 18, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #9 of 10
I've been using a Sony cassette adapter, and find it delivers better SQ than an FM transmitter. Sometimes while using a LOD, it overdrives the car stereo into distortion no matter what the volume setting. In those instances the adapter can be used with HP out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back