Capacitor burn in, how long does it really take?
Aug 31, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #31 of 53
You mean your parents had no manners either?. Well, that explains it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure I did.

I just wasn't raised by a bunch of uptight, puritanical prudes, that's all.

k

Aug 31, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #32 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean your parents had no manners either?. Well, that explains it.

So, you mean it's only uptight, puritanical prudes who have "manners"?

Tell me, what exactly do you consider "bad manners" regarding the statement "Anyone who tells you that the dielectric in a film or similar type cap needs 'forming' is talking out of their ass"?

Unless it's the "talking out of their ass" part, saying that anyone who tells you that the dielectric in a film or similar type cap needs "forming" doesn't know what they're talking about, is simply a statement of fact, and I fail to see how such a statement can be considered "bad manners."

If it was the "talking out of their ass" part, then you need to grow up and leave that childish, irrational and hypocritical world where there are Bogey Men known as "bad words."

k

Aug 31, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #33 of 53
Oh, and while you're at it, Miss Manners, perhaps you would care to explain to others here how insulting someone's parents constitutes "good manners."

****ing hypocrite.

k

Aug 31, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #34 of 53
It was you who blamed them for your bad language. I guess your little respect for others shows in your lack of respect for your elders. I haven't insulted anybody. You wont get that. No matter what gross words you use against me. Keep trying!.

Aug 31, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #35 of 53
Quote:

It was you who blamed them for your bad language. I guess your little respect for others shows in your lack of respect for your elders. I haven't insulted anybody. You wont get that. No matter what gross words you use against me. Keep trying!.

Grow up.

And what it is that I have no respect for is ********, irrationality and hypocrisy.

k

Apr 2, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #37 of 53
Quote:

You're out of line dude. Your contributions are adding no value to this thread and you are just thread crapping. If you have a personal problem with someone, why not take it to PM?

Apr 2, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #38 of 53
Who would have thought a thread about capacitor burn-in could amount to calling someone 'Miss Manners'?
tongue_smile.gif

I don't like to post without contributing anything, so I'll say that capacitor burn-in is all snake oil. Like someone else said, component 'burn-in' is just the component heating up and approaching its tolerance limit. With proper ventilation and whatnot, a component should reach a stable temperature and tolerance after a short amount of time. Am I right? An increase in heat means an increase in resistance, and a decrease in efficiency.

Apr 2, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #39 of 53
Me and some other audio-gd phoenix owners think the amp sounds better when hot, might be group placebo but it's significant enough to me that I avoid pointing my rack fan at the phoenix during wintertime.

Apr 3, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #42 of 53
Most of the electrical components* I've bought new have improved their sound after a few (hundred) hours: speaker and headphone amps, DACs and CDPs. Both of my latest Cordas (Opera and Symphony) took a considerable amount of burn-in (> 150 hours) to sound like they sound now. The common explanation for this phenomenon is capacitors forming up. A scenario also advocated by Jan Meier, who believes in component burn-in. (I've been a beta tester for his products until two years ago.) I also suspect that it's not just the capacitors contributing to a change of sonic characteristics.

An interesting link as food for thoughts, not specifically about burn-in, though – just a bit too demanding for my state of knowledge.

[size=xx-small]* The most striking burn-in experiences were provided by the following components: Metaxas Solitaire, Corda HA-2, McCormack UDP-1, Corda Opera, Corda Symphony, Silver Dragon cable for HD 800[/size].

Apr 3, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #43 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most of the electrical components* I've bought new have improved their sound after a few (hundred) hours: speaker and headphone amps, DACs and CDPs. Both of my latest Cordas (Opera and Symphony) took a considerable amount of burn-in (> 150 hours) to sound like they sound now. The common explanation for this phenomenon is capacitors forming up. A scenario also advocated by Jan Meier, who believes in component burn-in. (I've been a beta tester for his products until two years ago.) I also suspect that it's not just the capacitors contributing to a change of sonic characteristics.

An interesting link as food for thoughts, not specifically about burn-in, though – just a bit too demanding for my state of knowledge.

[size=xx-small]* The most striking burn-in experiences were provided by the following components: Metaxas Solitaire, Corda HA-2, McCormack UDP-1, Corda Opera, Corda Symphony, Silver Dragon cable for HD 800[/size].

Hi Jazz

I was wondering long you took to get that several hundred hours of burn in time? Did you leave everything on 24/7 or did you do it slowly over a longer period of time?

USG

Apr 3, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #44 of 53
Hi Upstateguy Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering how long you took to get that several hundred hours of burn in time. Did you leave everything on 24/7 or did you do it slowly over a longer period of time?

During the first few days I left the amps and the player play night and day, with some cool-down phases and of course some aural peeks, e.g. when I got home from work. This made for 100-120 hours. The rest consisted of an ongoing experiencing of more subtle changes during normal use. (For understandable reasons the speaker amp exclusively burned in during listening to music.)

Apr 4, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #45 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi UpstateguyDuring the first few days I left the amps and the player play night and day, with some cool-down phases and of course some aural peeks, e.g. when I got home from work. This made for 100-120 hours. The rest consisted of an ongoing experiencing of more subtle changes during normal use. (For understandable reasons the speaker amp exclusively burned in during listening to music.)

Thanks Jazz.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back