cantate vs arietta w/ 3move
Mar 25, 2009 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

lutwey

1000+ Head-Fier
just received my ms2,just ordered the dt990 will be ordering k702 or hd650 once i find my wallet. anyway what is the best option. ill be listening to rock jazz/acoustic rock and some r&b and a .ittle classical. my source would be a mac mini.
ive read skylab's review which led me to this dilemma.

thanks in advance
icon10.gif

Mar 28, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #3 of 20
If you got the MS2, which sounds in Grado style; then I am sorry that Corda products may not suitable for you. It is well-known that Grado cans are not synergy with Corda amps due to the different approach of music reproduction. You're better go for a tube amp with a little laid-off in mid and warmth sound for MS2. The HD650 also a tube amp lover. But if you want to have neutral sound, like using K702, Beyer headphones, then Corda will be one of the best options in market.

For your favorite, I suggest you to keep with the MS2 and go for a tube amp. You can use Corda if you didn't buy the MS2 first, but DT990. Unless you finally found that the sound of MS2 is not the type you favorite.

Mar 28, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #4 of 20
i would only be using the grados for rock then i would alternate the three for acoustic rock jazz and r&b. tubes is a possibility but im using my macmini as my primary source. i cant comment about the corda/grado synergy but from what ive read so far there is a good chemistry between hd650s and cordas,(jan meier used it to developed the cantate)
so that 3/4 cans that would suit corda well. ill do more reading about cordas and grados combos. thank for you 2 cents.

one more thing youre right i love neutral sound. i been in love with my etys from the day i got them. i thin i ll go with cordas so i guess the only question is which way to go.

thanks once again
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #6 of 20
Actually, Grados, due to their very low impedance, are often NOT very good matches with tube amps, especially OTL tube amps. It may yield the desired result, depending on what that is, but on paper at least it's a bad match. On the other have, a tube-SS hybrid amp, like the Head-Direct EF1, could be a GREAT combination - I did listen to SR325's on an EF1 are the sound was superb.

For me, the Meier amps would seem to be good with Grados - the new Corda amps are ultra-smooth on top, which helps with the Grado treble spike. I have only heard the GS1000 - Meier Opera combination (I owned them both for a while) and that was an excellent combination.

Just my opinion of course.

Mar 28, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #7 of 20
No, I would also vote against using a Meier amp with Grado. In my case I combined the Grado SR-325i (similar to your MS2) with the Corda Opera. Very bad combo. The Opera performs the astonishing feat of making the 325i boring. I love that amp and I love those 'phones, but the combination doesn't work at all (at least for me).

Mar 29, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, Grados, due to their very low impedance, are often NOT very good matches with tube amps, especially OTL tube amps. It may yield the desired result, depending on what that is, but on paper at least it's a bad match. On the other have, a tube-SS hybrid amp, like the Head-Direct EF1, could be a GREAT combination - I did listen to SR325's on an EF1 are the sound was superb.

For me, the Meier amps would seem to be good with Grados - the new Corda amps are ultra-smooth on top, which helps with the Grado treble spike. I have only heard the GS1000 - Meier Opera combination (I owned them both for a while) and that was an excellent combination.

Just my opinion of course.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Opera performs the astonishing feat of making the 325i boring. I love that amp and I love those 'phones, but the combination doesn't work at all (at least for me).

thanks for your responses. skylab, one question though, would you agree that the 3 remaining cans will have good synergy with the cantate(dt990, hd650,k701).
drosera, thats crazy..... never thought that was possible. i think from what you guys are saying you both agree that cordas will tame down my grados. skylab just liked it and droserra hated it. which is fine, i kinda find them too harsh so a little toning down on the highs wont hurt. i just hope not by much,in the point that that grado sig is undistinguishable.

Mar 29, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by winzzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so what amp are you using with your grado drosera ? i have sr325i too...

Actually, I'm still looking for the right amp for them. Apparently tubes won't work because of impedance problems, but good SS amplification in my experience makes them sound to controlled. The most enjoyable results up till now I've had simply from the headphone out of a decent integrated amp. Anyways, still searching....

Mar 29, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by lutwey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for your responses. skylab, one question though, would you agree that the 3 remaining cans will have good synergy with the cantate(dt990, hd650,k701).
drosera, thats crazy..... never thought that was possible. i think from what you guys are saying you both agree that cordas will tame down my grados. skylab just liked it and droserra hated it. which is fine, i kinda find them too harsh so a little toning down on the highs wont hurt. i just hope not by much,in the point that that grado sig is undistinguishable.

DT990 and K701, yes - I owned both of these phones while I owned the Opera. HD650, I cannot say.

Mar 29, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #12 of 20
I, sir, am no Skylab.

But I had both the Beyerdynamic DT770's and DT880's for a couple of weeks, with the Meier Audio Corda 3Move. They were wonderful together.

I eventually went with Denon, but that's unrelated. The Beyerdynamic and Meier combination was for me, excellent.

Apr 8, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #13 of 20
So the MS-2 will sound good or bad? with any Meier Amps say the 3Move, Arietta.

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #15 of 20
hehe although i might've already got either the 3Move or Arietta, Arietta probably is better because it is a better amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back