Can't decide on new headphones
Apr 2, 2009 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sochee

100+ Head-Fier
I know there are probably a thousand threads like this already made, but I've been reading for a week and there are different opinions in every one. I've had a pair of Sennheiser EH350 headphones for over 2 years now, and the sound is very, very awesome. However, they are too cumbersome for travel, the cable is too big and they are clumsy. Therefore, I am looking for a pair of IEMs/headphones to replace them.

I'm looking for something around between $50 and $200. IEM or earphones? I am not sure. I have not tried any IEMs in my life, seems like they would be kinda invasive/difficult to put in. So preferably earphones, unless the IEMS in the same price range are much better.

I listen to rock, indie, and lots of big beat. So good, clear, punchy bass is really necessary. Good clarity (I hate muddy sound) and a wide, "transparent" soundstage are a plus, but really I have no idea what I'm talking about
frown.gif

Currently, I can't decide between the Shure SE210, Phonaks, and Nu-8. I've read both the Shures and Nu Force lack bass, and the Phonaks look kinda silly to me, so I was wondering if anyone had any clear recommendations. Again, earphones preferred
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: I need to learn the difference between earphones and headphones
frown.gif

Apr 2, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #2 of 4
Phonaks are good. Turbines are good. NE7-M are good for $50.

Apr 2, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #3 of 4
If you want clarity, try Etymotics. I'm biased because I haven't tried many other kinds of IEMs but I think they sound wonderful. I've been listening to sludge metal and then IEM on mine for 4 hours and I forgot they were even in my ears. I can't say enough about them. You may find them lacking bass, but if they're amped it helps the bass and soundstage a lot.

Haven't heard them but I've heard much that is good about the NE7-M and Klipsch IEMs if bass is what you want.

Apr 2, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for all the replies so far
smily_headphones1.gif
I tend to distrust Monster because of their overpriced cables, and I figure if they try to rip off people for one product, they won't hesitate for another. Ne-7M just puts me off a little bit because of the microphone. My source is going to be un-amped ipod touch/zune, because I tend to use it at the gym a lot. Do the q-Jays have decent bass? I have to look through all the different Etymotics and figure out all the differences between the models :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back