Can't Decide! Help me pick an IEM (so I don't have to buy them all)
Jul 10, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #16 of 34
Quote:
Why not just get the SE215's? They're only $99. Great price/performance. 

Because he may want a more balanced sound sig considering that he's going to be listening to a wide array of genre's.

The 215's are very mid-centric with an emphasized bottom end and a rolled off top end.    By comparison, the RE-400's  are very balanced and don't really favor one frequency over another.  

Jul 10, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #17 of 34
Se215 is avoidable at all costs. They have serious build quality issues and they don't sound really well. They was useless after few months. Audio technica ckn70 sound much better and they aren't bass heavy.

Jul 10, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:
And cks1000 from amazon Japan with tenso shipping costs $155.

I can't seem to sign into the Amazon Japan site. Do U.S. accounts only work for the U.S. website?

Update: By the way, right now they're ¥17820, so that's about $177 USD. I'm guessing with shipping that's gonna work out to about $200... same as buying off of the US site?

Quote:

Because he may want a more balanced sound sig considering that he's going to be listening to a wide array of genre's.

The 215's are very mid-centric with an emphasized bottom end and a rolled off top end.    By comparison, the RE-400's  are very balanced and don't really favor one frequency over another.  

+1 

Yup, good at everything would be preferable. I might be a little too ambitious for the price range, but that's why I came here!

Jul 10, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Yup, good at everything would be preferable. I might be a little too ambitious for the price range, but that's why I came here!

You're not too ambitious for the price range.    For a balanced, accurate sound sig that is good across all genre's of music, the RE-400 is considered by most to be king of that category in an IEM under 100 bucks.   Hell, many consider it to be king in that category at twice that price.

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:
Only reason I'm asking is cause I have them already (which also explains why I'm looking for new IEMs 
tongue.gif

SHE9000 is pretty crappy overall in my opinion, I got them for free and don't really touch them. I've been using the Titans for awhile, after seeing a misleading, rave Headroom review.  

Man, why didn't you tell me that in the beginning? 
So what do you like about your Titan and what you dont like about SHE9000?
And have you ever listened to balanced sound sign IEM before?

You're not too ambitious for the price range.    For a balanced, accurate sound sig that is good across all genre's of music, the RE-400 is considered by most to be king of that category in an IEM under 100 bucks.   Hell, many consider it to be king in that category at twice that price.

I wonder if someone is willing enough to tell OP and everyone here how RE-400 sounds superior than Vsonic GR07.

Jul 11, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #23 of 34
Man, why didn't you tell me that in the beginning? 
So what do you like about your Titan and what you dont like about SHE9000?
And have you ever listened to balanced sound sign IEM before?

I wonder if someone is willing enough to tell OP and everyone here how RE-400 sounds superior than Vsonic GR07.

Whoops, my bad for not clarifying.
The Titans were my first headphone purchase, before I had any real desire for sound. To be completely honest, I got them much for the same reason people get Beats.

But now things are different (at least I'm hoping so!). The Titans are decent sounding, but I feel like there's too much muddy bass. There's nothing of this magical control, speed, or texture I read about. All I hear is "thump thump thump." There's not much detail in the mids or highs. Soundstage is nonexistent.

I thought the SHE9000 were awful. Even compared to the Titans, the Phillips were even more lousy. The sound right off the bat was muffled and muddy. Better than iBuds, but really no match against the Titans. I pretty much just didn't bother with them after that.

I haven't listened to any other balanced IEM before. I have listened to a HD380 before, and I liked the way those sounded, but it was some time ago and I can't quite recall them clearly. I also have a Bose QC15 that was a gift.
I'm hoping that a generous family member might get me an HD600 soon, but that remains to be seen.

My situation is pretty much that I am very into audiophilia, read much about it, but actually have yet to own or listen to any of this audio nirvana. Sad student life indeed :frowning2:

Jul 11, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #24 of 34
Alright, so do you want similar amount of bass and more clarity, more details or do you want to tone the bass down a bit?

btw, beside some genres you mentioned, do you listen to some acoustic music like Jazz or Classical? 

edit: Well, I think I start to sound irresponsible, but you know what, RE-400 is not a bad choice either. Coming from Titan, you may find the bass really lacking at first but your ears will adjust the sound overtime. The more you know, the more confusing it get, so just be happy with whatever you can get

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #25 of 34

Quote:
Alright, so do you want similar amount of bass and more clarity, more details or do you want to tone the bass down a bit?

btw, beside some genres you mentioned, do you listen to some acoustic music like Jazz or Classical? 

edit: Well, I think I start to sound irresponsible, but you know what, RE-400 is not a bad choice either. Coming from Titan, you may find the bass really lacking at first but your ears will adjust the sound overtime. The more you know, the more confusing it get, so just be happy with whatever you can get

The amount of bass depends... I'm listening through my library at the moment, and I want less bass on some songs such as "Dancing in the Moonlight" - Toploader. But on the flip side, I do want the same amount of bass as the Titans on some other songs such as "Radioactive" - Imagine Dragons.

I do listen to classical music. A listen to a lot of Yanni too, if that helps. He uses a huge range of instruments from violins and guitars to harps and basses. 

I have been looking at the RE-400s, but also the TDK BA200s, the GR07s and the CK1000s cubota mentioned. 

How would the 4 IEMs stack up against each other? 

Jul 12, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #26 of 34
Listened to some of the song you mentioned. Yep, you might need something between balanced and v-shaped. Actually I am thinking about Yamaha EPH-100, they might give you the right amount of bass without overbearing nor lacking as well as pleasant smoothed treble. Balanced IEM like RE-400 or GR07 will also do thing good, but like I mentioned, coming from the Titan, you might find the bass lacking on them.

I listened to RE400 and GR07 a while ago but did not give them serious A/Bing (was A/Bing them with my FXT90 actually) but I recalled the GR07 has a more spacious soundstage than RE400, other than that I am not sure.

Jul 12, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #27 of 34
Quote:
Listened to some of the song you mentioned. Yep, you might need something between balanced and v-shaped. Actually I am thinking about Yamaha EPH-100, they might give you the right amount of bass without overbearing nor lacking as well as pleasant smoothed treble. Balanced IEM like RE-400 or GR07 will also do thing good, but like I mentioned, coming from the Titan, you might find the bass lacking on them.

I listened to RE400 and GR07 a while ago but did not give them serious A/Bing (was A/Bing them with my FXT90 actually) but I recalled the GR07 has a more spacious soundstage than RE400, other than that I am not sure.

How about the ATH-CKS1000 and the TDK BA200? 

The CKS1000 right now is looking quite appealing to me based off of what I read here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/641571/the-new-ath-cks1000

ClieOS said the BA200 was a great alternative to the much more expensive UM3X's. 

Right now I'm thinking about getting one of these 3 (GR07 included) but I'm not sure exactly how these IEMs stack up nor compare to each other. And many people haven't heard the CKS1000 

Trying to do some more research, but it doesn't look like there's much of any comparisons between these IEMS...

Edit: I'm wondering right now if I extend my budget to $250 territory, can I get some more/better options? The budget would then be in Westone 2 range. Haven't done much research for IEMs at $250 though, but am looking. 

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #28 of 34
Never heard the TDK and ATH, so no comments on them

$250 is out my knowledge, so I cant say anything either. Sure you will have more options, but my advice is that if you dont know exactly the sound signature you want, you shouldn't spend too much. Audiophilia is about your progression of seeking prefered sound, not throwing a bunch of money onto something just because many people said it's good.

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #29 of 34
I have had westone 2, they are inferior to tf10 and on same level as re400. And ckn70 is better than tf10. For $250 really good is tpeos h200. According to owners - on same level as cks1000.

Jul 12, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #30 of 34
Quote:
I have had westone 2, they are inferior to tf10 and on same level as re400. And ckn70 is better than tf10. For $250 really good is tpeos h200. According to owners - on same level as cks1000.

They're not available on Amazon, so the Tpeos H200 isn't an option for me.

I think I'll listen to FrequencyBlue's advice and stay back in the <$200 zone. If I remember right, you would rank the IEMs in this fashion: 

CKS1000>TF10>Westone 2=RE400

Edit: Anyone know of the UM2's or Westone 3's? They've been around for awhile and they're within my price range of $200. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back