Can't Decide! Help me pick an IEM (so I don't have to buy them all)
Jul 10, 2013 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Xeculus

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, new here, and I'm looking to get a new pair of IEMs at or below the $200 range. I've done some research and have been poking around here, and I've gotten some picks that interest me. However, I really can't decide on what to buy and there is no place where I live that I could possibly give these a try. So if anyone can help, it's you guys. 

- TDK BA200
- Audio-Technica ATH-CKS1000
- GR07 MK2
- Westone 3
- Westone UM2 
- UE TF10 

I listen to a variety of music: pop, rock, hip-hop, rap, alternative, dance, etc. Some examples are The Fray, Two Door Cinema Club, Imagine Dragons, Coldplay, Bastille, Eminem... basically varied. 
I definitely want to feel like I'm in the music, so a good soundstage is important. Not really looking for a boomy bass, but not looking for tinny bass either. Sorry if I'm sounding too aggressive looking for sound + build quality in this price range... 

So anyways,
Thanks in advance! Hopefully this post wasn't too long to read    

Edit: By the way, if you have any other recommendations, those are welcome. They have to be purchasable on Amazon though (sad student life/budget = buying gear with gift cards) 

Jul 10, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #2 of 34
Simply buy audio technica cks1000, they are better than any iem you have listed including tf10 and maybe ue900. I myself have cks99 and they are noticeably better than tf10.

Jul 10, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #3 of 34
Simply buy audio technica cks1000, they are better than any iem you have listed including tf10 and maybe ue900. I myself have cks99 and they are noticeably better than tf10.

Wow, I can't say I'm unimpressed at some of the reviews. Definitely looks interesting.

Is there anything different between the CKS99 and the 1K's that justify the extra $100?

Jul 10, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #6 of 34
You are kidding? Re-400 for hip hop and so on? Price/performance wise best things are ckn50 and ckn70. I suggested cks1000 because your budget is $150. They isn't $100 better than cks99 or ckn70. For example ckn70 and cks99 match re-400 detail level, but they have great low end.
Cks has more subbass but ckn have more mid-bass.

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #10 of 34
Quote:
You are kidding? Re-400 for hip hop and so on? Price/performance wise best things are ckn50 and ckn70. I suggested cks1000 because your budget is $150. They isn't $100 better than cks99 or ckn70. For example ckn70 and cks99 match re-400 detail level, but they have great low end.
Cks has more subbass but ckn have more mid-bass.

Actually, I only see the CKS1000 for $200 on Amazon (I can still afford them though, but it makes my wallet sad) 
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cks1000&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Acks1000

GR07 MK2 or BA200 since I own both and each can be had for around $150

I've edited my first post to include these as well. ClieOS even said that the BA200 was a great alternative to the UM3x. 

Now I really don't know what to get....

Quote:
Just go ahead and buy them all and try them all, then sell what you don't like. Eating, paying bills and gas and stuff can alway wait

Wish I could, but I can't 
tongue.gif

I've got about $200 in Amazon gift card credit and that's what I'm using. Will eventually go on a spending spree maybe later in life 
beerchug.gif

It is obvious that the OP is not JUST listening to hip hop.   He listens to a wide array of genres, and as such, a very balanced IEM, such as the RE-400, makes a lot of sense.

Yeah, the CKS1000 label "solid bass" kinda scared me a little. But the reviews actually say it isn't a bass monster and has very controlled bass. 

Anyways, yes I'm definitely interested in the RE-400s also. 
Oh if I could only afford them all...

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #11 of 34
Well apparently you are new to this, so if you are not in a hurry, feel free to take my advice: Be patient, go slowly and spent some money buying these 2 IEM: "Monoprice 9927" and "Philips SHE3580" (or 3590)(these 2 are very cheap so they wont cause bankrupt). The former has "balanced" sound while the later has "V-shaped" sound. Give each of them 2 weeks of listening, compare them to each other, then come back here and tell us what you think about those IEM (about the bass, the treble, soundstage and anything you notice) and I think we will be able to give you a proper recommendation.

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #12 of 34
Quote:
Well apparently you are new to this, so if you are not in a hurry, feel free to take my advice: Be patient, go slowly and spent some money buying these 2 IEM: "Monoprice 9927" and "Philips SHE3580" (or 3590)(these 2 are very cheap so they wont cause bankrupt). The former has "balanced" sound while the later has "V-shaped" sound. Give each of them 2 weeks of listening, compare them to each other, then come back here and tell us what you think about those IEM (about the bass, the treble, soundstage and anything you notice) and I think we will be able to give you a proper recommendation.

Can either a Skullcandy Titan or a Phillips SHE9000 be a substitute for one of those test IEMS?

Jul 10, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #13 of 34
Titan is bass heavy, and i dont know much about SHE9000, and they both seem to be more expensive. Also getting only 1 IEM wont be a good idea as you wont get to know different sound signatures
btw i am off so i will reply to you later.

Jul 10, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:
Titan is bass heavy, and i dont know much about SHE9000, and they both seem to be more expensive. Also getting only 1 IEM wont be a good idea as you wont get to know different sound signatures
btw i am off so i will reply to you later.

Only reason I'm asking is cause I have them already (which also explains why I'm looking for new IEMs 
tongue.gif

SHE9000 is pretty crappy overall in my opinion, I got them for free and don't really touch them. I've been using the Titans for awhile, after seeing a misleading, rave Headroom review.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back