Cans that can take a bit of abuse?
Jun 22, 2011 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

idvsego

100+ Head-Fier
I am starting to transition more to using my headphones than IEMs lately.  comfort, variety, whatever.  I like my hd428s but I dont want to mess them up having them banging around in my bag all the time.  Can anybody recommend a particularly sturdy set that still sound good?  Like some good hinges on the cups, and a headband that wont snap under some pressure.  price range...ehhh...like $50-80.  cheaper is better, could push to $100 for the right phones.  Being hauled around, I prefer to not cry to hard if someone else feels like they need them more than me and takes them.  I also prefer around the ear design as opposed to on the ear.

some of the sets I have been considering...

http://av.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL028574&pathId=95&page=1
http://av.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL028890&pathId=112&page=1
DBI PRO-700 if I can find some

Jun 23, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #2 of 2
Sony MDR-V6 ($60-$70) ... or it's "professional" brother with the blue sticker -- the MDR-7506 ($80-$90?).

These things don't know how to quit. I'm sure there are people on this forum who have had them longer then my 9 years. These were my cans in college, so they got thrown in and out of backpacks and messenger bags and survived unscathed. Leave it to the metal driver housing and hinges... theirs no large plastic piece to crack like on your 428s. Also, the V6 cable feels strong enough to scale a rock face with. Only thing that wears out are the pads, but replacements are cheap and you can do the velour pad upgrade (search the forum).

Though for $100-$120 the perennial favorite ATH-M50 are built like a brick house AND sound better than the Sonys. Looking at your sig, I noticed you don't own these, so you might as well get on the bandwagon. There's a good reason they're one of Head-fi's darling. If you've got the money ... you won't regret it. Based upon what you own now (much of which I have tried or owned), I can pretty much guarantee you'll love them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back