Cans for rock music - Budget: 450USD
Nov 5, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy*Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I couldn't imagine owning an on ear headphone like a grado... especially for how much I use headphones. I don't think its possible to make a headphone more comfortable than the HD580/600/650. A headphone can sound so amazing, but if it isn't comfortable, it just isn't worth it. If you look at the design of the 650, it is an oval, like a real ears shape.. It is also very deep so that your ear doesn't touch the foam covering the drivers and doesnt push on your ear. I dont know why circular shaped cans even exist like the AKG or some ultra sones.

I found my HD580s to sound the best actually with trance, the very genra ppl said they it would be least appropriate for. I think the Sennheiser are just good general purpose phones and I dont see how you can be disappointed with them, unless you want tons of booming bass. Ultra clear sound... and did I mention they sound good with rock to?

If you dont wear them for long periods, then I guess maybe grados are really worth looking into for rock, but for me its a no brainier - comfort comes first.

comparing somethign like sennheisers and grados are like apples and oranges. grados were designed with only one purpose in mind. SOUND. theyre hardcore, all out in your face impressive. i personally value sound over comfort anyday. i cant imagine owning anything else than a pair of grados that wouldnt put a smile on my face ; sure sennheisers are crystal clear and accurate but grado just has that punchy and exciting quality to them that makes them THAT much more enjoyable to listen to. i do admit they are uncomfortable for a prolonged use. but personally i'll be willing to sacrifice anything for sound.

Nov 5, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #32 of 39
Let me be another that add the HF-2 to the suggestion list. To me they offer a pinch of Senn with all of the best qualities of Grado. As I've never listened to the RS1, I can't comment. But the HF-2 is better than the 225 and 325. Absolutely the most refined of any Grado I've had before. Without losing it's aggresive attitude they're known for. You can't have mine, lol, but there are pelnty to be had on the sales forum. -Ross

Nov 5, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #33 of 39
In the FS forum, i've found a deal for a pair of RS1i recabled with APureSound V3 for a price that i think it's honest. The guy live in my town, so i will not have to pay shipping an so on...

The cable itself, cost 400$, and even if i didn't know if it's a real upgrade from stock, it's surely an added value...

Im gonna pay the cable plus about 200$.... do you think it's worth, or is better to search for a stock RS1i?

Nov 5, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #34 of 39
Not sure about availability in Rome, but I'd save some money and go with the Beyer DT150. Best rock headphone I've ever heard, better than the Beyer DT770 and Grado HF-1. Haven't heard the HF-2.

Nov 5, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD650s are notoriously picky on amps to sound non-veiled, so you might want to keep that in mind. There's always the option of Grados, but they won't deliver the soundstage of a Sennheiser. Denons might be worth a look too. D5000s have good soundstage, and sounds pretty good with rock.

I would seriously look at a set of used Grado RS1 or Denon D5000.

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #38 of 39
To put another option out there for you, I'd recommend the Sony MDR SA5000 if you can find a pair second hand. I love them for rock and metal. Sound great straight out of an iPod too.

You won't get a boomy bass out of these but fast, accurate and punchy instead. Fast metal with double bass drums sound great. Also the sound of distorted electric guitar puts a grin on your face coming out of these phones.

Nov 6, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by radrd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but I'd save some money and go with the Beyer DT150. Best rock headphone I've ever heard

Same here, although I haven't heard any Grados yet, that'll be a future plan
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back