CanJam SoCal 2023 Impressions Thread
Oct 8, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #346 of 488
I'm very grateful to everyone who provided their impressions. Can someone clarify if the Bonneville is bright and airy with rich bass; or warm, thick, and colored with booming bass; etc.? I think I read something about it being an Andromeda with improved bass and techs? Or it was compared to the Trifecta (XE6?)?

Regarding balance and staging, is there any overemphasis or attenuation that might cause any perception of flatness or lack of dimensionality, etc.?

Oct 8, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #347 of 488
I'm very grateful to everyone who provided their impressions. Can someone clarify if the Bonneville is bright and airy with rich bass; or warm, thick, and colored with booming bass; etc.? I think I read something about it being an Andromeda with improved bass and techs? Or it was compared to the Trifecta (XE6?)?

Regarding balance and staging, is there any overemphasis or attenuation that might cause any perception of flatness or lack of dimensionality, etc.?
Following

Oct 8, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #348 of 488
The thing that I regret is not getting more out of my comfort zone and interacting with everyone more. I am hoping next time to be able to hang out with more of you and hopefully got to lunch or dinner with some of you.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #349 of 488
As already highlighted in many posts thus far, CanJam SoCal 2023 was an epic event. The energy and enthusiasm for the SoCal show is always high and this year’s event continued to increase beyond previous CanJams. Both the SoCal and New York CanJams are key events for our hobby as there are typically new releases announced and available for the North American market. And this year didn’t disappoint in that regard either.

First though, I want to give a huge thanks to the CanJam team. They do an incredible job for every CanJam, and without them, we wouldn’t have the opportunity to hear incredible gear. I also want to give a huge thanks to all the exhibitors. Your willingness to participate in CanJams can’t be thanked enough. The resources in both finances and time to support CanJams are tremendous. Next time at CanJam as you gaze on all the great present, take a moment to think about the effort to transport all that fragile gear. I got some great insight from the ZMF team on the logistical aspects.

Before I discuss gear, I want to highlight the best thing about CanJams and this community. And that’s the camaraderie that’s prevalent, whether at CanJams or on the forums here. I think this has grown quite a bit the last few years and it’s linked back to the CanJam team, the exhibitors, and the attendees. On Sunday evening, several Watercooler members relaxed in the lobby / bar area recounting the best things of CanJam SoCal and the consistent theme present was camaraderie. Additionally, @jude highlighted this camaraderie and community during a Friday evening discussion along with @warrenpchi

On to the gear, but I’ll note that these are just basic observations and based on my musical tastes. Additionally, it’s hard to really evaluate gear on a show floor with the noise, and distractions of other gear. I focused mainly on IEMs and portable gear this CanJam as I already have an acquisition strategy for headphones over the next year, and that includes ZMF’s Atrium Closed and their new ZMF / JDS collaboration amp.

Naturally I tried the EE Raven, and as many have said, it’s an incredible IEM. It provides a technical presentation, but is also musical, probably due to the bass and sub-bass presence that eliminates any sense of fatigue. The air, soundstage and separation are all incredible for such a small device, albeit large for an IEM. I didn’t have issues with fit, but I’ve always had a good fit with EE IEMs. I also tried the Raven with the Eletech Aeneid, and it adds just a little extra to the IEM in separation of treble, mids, bass and soundstage. I did notice @Jack Vang trying the new Sonnet of Adam on the Raven as well - and he had a smile. One sleeper IEM EE has is the Bravado Mk II, think of it as a baby LX. I have both the LX and the original Bravado in customs and enjoy both tremendously. But with the Bravado Mk II now on it’s way out of production, I took the opportunity to purchase a universal Bravado Mk II to share great audio with friends.

On to Noble Audio. For TWS, their FoKus Prestige is outstanding. It’s has a dynamic driver along with 2 BA drivers and provides excellent sound. There’s also an app to provide EQ if you desire. For my use case of working around the house or traveling, the Prestige hits the mark, and I did buy a set. I listened to the Prestige on my flight home and with the included tips, it provided pretty good sound isolation. (Note, I was on an Airbus A350 which has a quieter ambient noise level compared to older aircraft). I also tried the new Noble Audio Spartacus, an 6-driver IEM with 4x BA drivers and 2x bone conduction drivers. I found this to fit my preferences extremely well, the bass is very present with the BCD, but the mids and treble also very good, and clearly separated and distinguishable in my test tracks. The IEM was tuned more for the North American market with more bass present as compared to some of the other Noble IEMs. I do like the Ronin as well for some of my music, but for soundtracks or an everyday IEM from Noble, I prefer the Spartacus.

I spent quite a bit of time at MusicTeck and demo’d quite a bit of gear. A new company to me is CanPur and I tried both the CP54e and CP622B. In my brief time with them, I enjoyed both - clear bass, mids and treble, with distinguishable separation. I will definitely give them more time at a future CanJam.

At Bloom Audio I tried the Fir prototype Electron 12. A great IEM with awesome bass, soundstage and separation of bas, mids and treble. I’m eagerly awaiting more information on release date and price. I think there will be great competition between the Electron 12 and the NIghtJar Singularity. I also listened to the 64 Audio Volür and while a good IEM, it just didn’t suit my tastes.

I also had a brief listen to the Duality, and wow, it’s like having two sub-woofers in your brain. It’s the Singularity on steroids, if you will. I definitely want to give the Duality another listen with some select soundtracks, but hopefully that won’t cause my brain to explode or turn to mush :ksc75smile:

Given I have IEMs in my collection, I do keep an eye out for new cables. Another new discovery for me at the CanJam was a cable maker called Viking Weave Cables. I tried some of his cables on my custom LX and was impressed. Unfortunately it was near the end of the show on Sunday and I was quite audio fatigued, but the cables made a positive impression and look forward to trying them again at a future CanJam. The company is a single owner who does audio work part-time, so hopefully he can make a future CanJam.

Lastly, I tried the new Eletech Baroque eartips. They are very comfortable, provided a great seal and didn’t impact the audio qualities to a great degree, at least in my listening at the show. According to Eric, part of what provides the great seal is the new design to help the eartip collapse to the shape of the ear canal and form a better, more comfortable seal. In my opinion and test, it does work.

To close out, it was great to meet new fellow Head-Fi’ers in person and keep connection with existing ones. See you all in Dallas and / or New York :beerchug:

Oct 8, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #350 of 488
Thank you everyone for writing their impressions! It was a pleasure reading this thread.

Oct 8, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #352 of 488
Finally! It's time for my third and final canjam impressions post! Before I start, I want to give a shout out to a few groups that made my 2 day canjam experience really enjoyable.

First is the Watercooler group. Has there ever been a nicer group of people at a canjam? Not in my mind. Meeting everyone was a pleasure, and they included me into their existing group so kindly. I wish I could attend more canjams, just for the fun of heading out with them for dinners and conversations in the lounge.

Second is the Headphones.com group. I hit the table a couple times, and each time they were so friendly and accommodating. I got to witness Taron's pastry laptop disaster, which was quite enjoyable.

Finally, of course, is the ZMF room. I've already mentioned how great they are, and one thing that never changes is their consistent friendliness and customer service.

On to the iems I heard at the show! All iems were tested on the Acoustic Research AR-M2 and the Dethonray Prelude DTR1.

Winners:
Nightjar Duality: I didn't have as much time with these as with the singularity, but they're just as much fun. Bass cannons with more cleanliness in the rest of the spectrum than you'd think. Harder to drive than the singularity. A little larger.
Nightjar Singularity: One of my favorites from the show. Really great bass that stays where it's supposed to. Surprisingly good technicalities. These sounded great on both daps I tried them on. Especially good was the timbre. Really natural and enjoyable.

Subtonic Storm: Best of show, and I'm glad I had a chance to hear them. Larger than I expected but were comfortable to wear. Great bass and not an ounce of listening fatigue present. They handled my distortion test track with ease.

cj6.jpg

Dunu Mirai: I only wrote one work next to these, "Great!". A very inoffensive tuning that everyone seems to like. While not my over show favorites there was a lot to love about these. I do feel that they're prices just a bit high, but time will tell.

64 Audio Volur: Great balance. Solid bass and subbass without being heavy. Tonally correct.

Symphonium Crimson: Really liked these. The fit was a bit bigger than I would normally enjoy, but they fit excellently. Great clarity and separation; everything just sounded right. I've heard a couple people mention they get some treble heat, but I didn't have an issue on any test track. The highest complement I could give these was I left with pair.

cj4.jpg

Middle of the Pack:

IER Z1R: Based on what I'd read, I was fully expecting to have fit and comfort issues with these, but they actually fit well. Plus! Of all the iems I listened too, these were the hardest to decipher. I feel like they'd get better if I had more time, and was in a better environment. Soundstage was excellent, as was the low end, but over all I just felt something was lacking, especially compared to the winners.

Symphonium Helios & SE: Both good, but I preferred the Crimson due to the additional technicalities.

QDC Anole VX: I finally got to hear these. Very enjoyable with excellent clarity and treble. A tiny bit bright on the stock setting. They have great bass. A little bit thin for my preferences. The comfort was good.

Campfire Andromeda 2019: I didn't hate them. They didn't wow me in one direction or another.

Theiaudio Monarch Mk3: These would be a winner, just like the mark 2, except for the fit. They're as big as the mk2, which is just a little bit too big to remain comfortable for me for anything over 30 minutes. Sonically I'm not sure I prefer them over the mk2. Capable technically, perhaps a tiny big of brightness up top. Their tuning seemed to work with pretty much everything, especially my 80's alternative.

Elysian Annihilator: I think most people would have these ranked up with the winners, but for me I wasn't drawn in. Great clarity and separation. The bass was controlled but not exciting. They did have great treble extension without being hot. A bit uncomfortable for me and also very pricey. For that cost I want to be wowed.

IE900: Better fit than the ie600. Excellent clarity and separation. Good sparkle uptop. A bit light in the low end, but what was there had good quality. Is this 2-3 times as good as the Yanyin Moonlight? I don't think so. Perhaps not even better...

Losers (for me):
64 Audio U4S: While I found these to have a good low end and to be comfortable, the were a little bright on my playlist. Just a bit hot for me.

Softears Enigma: They're enormous. I couldn't get the right ear piece to stay well in my ear. My other note just says, "capable" which isn't a glowing review, but they're...capable.

Timsok: Their base model was not impressive to me, and at the cost there is just too many excellent competitors. They have an unnamed 1DD, 4BA, 4est with gorgeous faceplates that I liked quite a bit more. Depending on how they price it they could have a winner there.

IE600: I think there may have been a fit issue here. They were lacking in bass and quite unengaging compared to many of the iems I enjoyed. Even at a reasonable price I did not find value here, which makes me question if I was "doing it right" because all of the other praise for these. I'd take the ie900 over these any day of the week.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #353 of 488
The thing that I regret is not getting more out of my comfort zone and interacting with everyone more. I am hoping next time to be able to hang out with more of you and hopefully got to lunch or dinner with some of you.
I think most can understand this feeling and agree that you have to do that (get out of your comfort zone) to have a complete experience. You should definitely try at the next one, and if you see me, please say hi!!!!

Oct 9, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #354 of 488
I think most can understand this feeling and agree that you have to do that (get out of your comfort zone) to have a complete experience. You should definitely try at the next one, and if you see me, please say hi!!!!
Most definitely! Next one, if I see you, I’ll come say hi!

Oct 9, 2023 at 12:51 AM Post #355 of 488

I can echo this - I saw a few people I recognized (or had a name tag) but everyone was typically already in conversation.

Oct 9, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #356 of 488
Big thanks as usual to all the CanJam staff and exhibitors (thank you @joe for my shiny new badge!), and a very special shout-out to the super-nice Bloom Audio folks who tolerated me for so long at their booth :) Here are my good and not-so-good impressions of SoCal's 2023 CanJam. I'll start with the not-so-good.

Way too many exhibitors and way too little time. That's always been true of CanJam, but this year was even sillier. If you listened to a couple of seminars and visited three or four booths, that was the day gone. I made it to less than 5% of the exhibitor booths this year. (Though in fairness, Bloom carries so many vendor products that you could check quite a lot of boxes in just one place.) CanJam just feels like it's too big. I'm sure the answer to this is an even bigger CanJam next year, because, you know, $$$$. But I do consider this a problem. I come away acutely aware of how much I missed.

The market is becoming absolutely saturated with products having increasingly smaller differences separating them. (Spoiler alert for the end - vendors are closing in on those targets they know the majority of us like.) OTOH, the gradient isn't necessarily always positive. There was a period post-pandemic where supply-chain-constraint excuses saw many manufacturers simply incrementing model numbers and increasing prices with product specs often going south. I'm more optimistic having seen some of the more recent offerings, including those exhibited at the SoCal CanJam, but it still feels like many OEMs are disingenuous with their newer offerings, and weeding out truly-improved products isn't trivial.

One major concern I have with the audio industry in general is that the hype that precedes these events builds expectation which, on its own, is enough to skew perception of a product. Nobody is immune to having their brain tricked, even when you know it's coming. YouTube is littered with both audio and visual examples of this. Interpolating, extrapolating and 'filling in the gaps' is part of a normally-functioning brain. We're all susceptible to it, and we ought to at least acknowledge it.

Let me get some of my disappointments out of the way first. Empire Ears. I love you guys. You have made some great headphones in the past. I just think you're headed down the wrong path with the Raven. A 'quadbrid' IEM, with dual W9+ sub-woofers, five proprietary balanced armature drivers, quad electrostatic tweeters and a W10 bone-conduction ultra driver with a premium Empire X PWaudio R7 OCC dual-gauge cable with a 4.4 mm rhodium termination, a proprietary multi-point synX Crossover Network, dual-conduction architecture, EIVEC MKII (Empire Intelligent Variable Electrostatic Control Technology), HRC (Harmonic Resonance Core) and ARC Resonance Mitigation Technology. Are you sure that's enough? Doesn't it also need dual W10+ ultra drivers and triple AHA hydroxy liposomes? TL; DR - it's huge and its tuning is not to my preference. (Even if you love the tuning, it's still going to be unnecessarily huge.) Consider how much buzz and excitement there was for the Odin at this CanJam. I predict that level of buzz for the Raven at SoCal CanJam 2024 after EE unveil their newer IEMs.

The Subtonic STORM is an example of the audio hype train at its most nefarious. The STORM's sound was, to me, rather average. It's a bit lean in the sub-bass, and I'll admit that part is personal preference, but it also seems to have a somewhat uneven treble, and that isn't a plus for anybody. Like the Raven, it's also firmly a part of the audio arms race to pack as many different divers (preferably with as many different driver types) as possible into a single shell. The result is stupid-sized IEMs that - even if they somehow fit in your ear canal - stick out the side of your head like a pair of golf balls. My other gripe (aside from the ridiculous sticker price) is the fact that Subtonic were not prepared to let me measure the STORM. This is the first and only time - at any audio event - that I've been denied that request. It would be understandable if the STORM were a prototype, but Subtonic are already selling this product and are perfectly willing to take your money. What do they have to hide? I'm not claiming measurements can tell you exactly how a headphone will sound to you, but they can quickly find flaws in a product that might be a problem. If you believe that you can determine everything about the sound in just one listening session, go back and carefully re-read paragraph #4. TL;DR: Subtonic and their products all receive an emphatic thumbs down from me.

FiR Audio is an IEM manufacturer that is cascading new products onto the market at a furious pace - certainly faster than the fade-rate of existing-product hype. They've made some great IEMs in the past (and I've voted positively with my wallet on more than one occasion), but they've also had some really weird misses, so a new IEM from FiR has a genuine fun element of surprise to it. They had a new single-driver 'e12' IEM at CanJam, which I found pretty fascinating. It came in a standard FiR shell, but it looked like it might have been 3D-printed. I'm not sure if it's even for sale so, in fairness to Bogdan, no measurement links here, but what I can say is it sounded like a typical dynamic driver with a very slightly emphasized lower treble. (Pretty good actually, but not as good as the NHB12 discussed later.) But there's one really big puzzle - it had large (and I mean really enormous) levels of 2nd-order harmonic distortion. I can't imagine what's going on here, because you never get distortion this high from a single dynamic driver. Apparently it uses an 'electro-dynamic' driver, which ostensibly means the same thing, and yet this driver does indeed seem to be somehow different - but not in a good way. I don't care how harmless (or pleasant-sounding?) even-order harmonics are, at this level something seems to be wrong.

64 Audio's Volür was another IEM that seemed to be getting a lot of chatter and hype. They've come close, but I've never quite found a 64 Audio product that really works for me. Volür certainly seems to be an improvement over the Tia Fourte's tuning, but their upper treble is a bit much and fit is still an issue meaning I'd have to pass on this one.

I'm a big fan of Noble's products. I loved the Sultan and thought last year's Kublai Khan was stunning. Their new Viking Ragnar had me scratching my head though. This is supposedly their new flagship product, but it feels like we've just gone back in time several years. The Ragnar sounds like their original Khan (not the Kublai Khan), which I found too bright. You can see the similarity here.

Astell & Kern have partnered with Vision Ears to make the new 'Aura'. (I think 'partner' here simply means Vision Ears made the product and then cranked up the price so that both companies could take a cut of sales). A&K's past partnerships have usually been over-priced disasters (e.g., T9ie, Odyssey), but the Aura looks only to be over-priced - it's actually a decent-sounding headphone. I personally much prefer the sound (and price) of the PHöNIX (more on this below), but tuning is obviously a personal thing. One general caveat though - check the output impedance of your DAP or amp. Aura has a low and uneven impedance curve, which means that even very small output impedance values (around 1 Ohm or so) can be enough to noticeably change its frequency response. (You can see the effect by adjusting the Z-out value in the tool window here.)

Questyle is a company whose products I've enjoyed in the past. They have a new dongle (the M15) which might appeal to those of you who, thanks to Apple's courage, broke free of those nasty 3.5 mm sockets in your phones. No comment here, because I don't believe in dongles. (To clarify - I believe they exist, but I also believe they're the work of Satan and ought to be banned.) Questyle also have a new 'lossless' IEM, which is 'made for iPhones'. Made for iPhones with a lightning socket, that is. That aged well, didn't it? :wink: However, the NHB12 also comes with a 3.5 mm-terminated cable, so technically it can also be lossless with Android - yay! It's actually a great-sounding IEM. I believe it's selling for around $300USD, which makes it all the more impressive. After hearing it, I commented to the Questyle rep that it sounded very similar to the original Beyerdynamic Xelento. I can't remember his exact words and don't want to get them into a lawsuit with Beyerdynamic, but his response was basically: yes, that's what we were aiming for. Its shell is larger than those of the Xelento, but its frequency response is awfully close. Its lightning cable might quickly become obsolete, but since you can just throw that away and use its supplied 3.5 mm cable with a decent DAC in a DAP or an LG/ASUS phone, I'd give this one a big thumbs up :) Great job Questyle!

Thieaudio have another iteration of their Monarch (the Mkiii), which I guess I enjoyed enough to tolerate its large size. It's another great-sounding IEM - a big improvement over other Harman-like headphones like the AKG N400 (which had some nasty treble spikes). The Monarch Mkiii sounds good enough that I could happily use it without EQ. Another thumbs up from me :)

This was my first time hearing Vision Ears' PHöNIX. It appears to be a cheaper (though still not cheap) version of the ERLKöNIG with its tuning switch in position #2. Number 2 is easily my favorite ERLKöNIG tuning, so I wouldn't miss the switch at all. I actually find the PHöNIX's tuning more to my liking than that of the Harman target and despite the modestly-large shell size, Vision Ears' IEMs always seem to fit in my ears nicely. For me, they're super comfy. Another big thumbs up from me :)

Sadly, this year I didn't find any must-buy products that I left the show with. I've probably been in the game too long to be dramatically surprised by any new headphone or DAP, because most now just represent increasingly small changes (and not always for the better). There was really only one product I would have bought at this year's show. This was a product I heard right at the end which gave me a wow factor I'd not experienced in ages. But this was, sadly, a product that's not even for sale :frowning2: It was a private demo of a headphone unit that oratory1990 showed me. This was a single-driver mems-microspeaker-based IEM that was tuned by oratory1990 via DSP, which it could do by virtue of its USB-C interface. This must have been the smallest IEM I've ever tried - it was ridiculously tiny, so anybody who can fit any kind of eartip in their ears would be able to get a comfortable fit with these. Part of the wow factor probably came from the whole concept of getting a bass this big from a device this tiny. It was apparently tuned to the Usound1v1 target, which (even though it might be fractionally mid-bass heavy for me) is definitely a tuning I prefer over Harman. (If you already own any of the headphones on the HTS database, you can try EQing your existing headphones to that Usound target here.) Sadly, the product itself is now discontinued, but you can see its specs here. I think these would have sold like hot cakes if they'd been exhibited at CanJam. I would have bought one in a heartbeat. It was such clever engineering and such an amazing sound from such a tiny device, and they were just so impressively different from all the other gazillion-driver IEMs that have now become the mainstay of this event. Despite this particular IEM being discontinued, I feel like this type of device is, or should be, the future. Tuning via DSP (for example, with parametric EQ) is much more precise than clunky hardware tuning via resonance chambers, crossovers, dampers, etc. On that subject...

Why is it that we have so few (almost zero) DAPs, USB- or true-wireless-Bluetooth-driven headphones with a proper built-in parametric EQ? I think the answer is you. And me. All of us. We're the reason we can't have nice things. Because we don't demand products that would actually make a significant difference. We're the reason we're going to be visiting an even larger CanJam in 2024, that will be exhibiting even more, even larger IEMs, with even more drivers per side. Sigh.

A final parting thought that brings all this full circle. The gray curve below is oratory's Usound1v1 target; the cyan curve is the arithmetic average of the frequency responses of all those newer headphones discussed above. I don't think this is entirely coincidence:
Average.png

Oct 9, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #358 of 488
Big thanks as usual to all the CanJam staff and exhibitors (thank you @joe for my shiny new badge!), and a very special shout-out to the super-nice Bloom Audio folks who tolerated me for so long at their booth :) Here are my good and not-so-good impressions of SoCal's 2023 CanJam. I'll start with the not-so-good.

Way too many exhibitors and way too little time. That's always been true of CanJam, but this year was even sillier. If you listened to a couple of seminars and visited three or four booths, that was the day gone. I made it to less than 5% of the exhibitor booths this year. (Though in fairness, Bloom carries so many vendor products that you could check quite a lot of boxes in just one place.) CanJam just feels like it's too big. I'm sure the answer to this is an even bigger CanJam next year, because, you know, $$$$. But I do consider this a problem. I come away acutely aware of how much I missed.

The market is becoming absolutely saturated with products having increasingly smaller differences separating them. (Spoiler alert for the end - vendors are closing in on those targets they know the majority of us like.) OTOH, the gradient isn't necessarily always positive. There was a period post-pandemic where supply-chain-constraint excuses saw many manufacturers simply incrementing model numbers and increasing prices with product specs often going south. I'm more optimistic having seen some of the more recent offerings, including those exhibited at the SoCal CanJam, but it still feels like many OEMs are disingenuous with their newer offerings, and weeding out truly-improved products isn't trivial.

One major concern I have with the audio industry in general is that the hype that precedes these events builds expectation which, on its own, is enough to skew perception of a product. Nobody is immune to having their brain tricked, even when you know it's coming. YouTube is littered with both audio and visual examples of this. Interpolating, extrapolating and 'filling in the gaps' is part of a normally-functioning brain. We're all susceptible to it, and we ought to at least acknowledge it.

Let me get some of my disappointments out of the way first. Empire Ears. I love you guys. You have made some great headphones in the past. I just think you're headed down the wrong path with the Raven. A 'quadbrid' IEM, with dual W9+ sub-woofers, five proprietary balanced armature drivers, quad electrostatic tweeters and a W10 bone-conduction ultra driver with a premium Empire X PWaudio R7 OCC dual-gauge cable with a 4.4 mm rhodium termination, a proprietary multi-point synX Crossover Network, dual-conduction architecture, EIVEC MKII (Empire Intelligent Variable Electrostatic Control Technology), HRC (Harmonic Resonance Core) and ARC Resonance Mitigation Technology. Are you sure that's enough? Doesn't it also need dual W10+ ultra drivers and triple AHA hydroxy liposomes? TL; DR - it's huge and its tuning is not to my preference. (Even if you love the tuning, it's still going to be unnecessarily huge.) Consider how much buzz and excitement there was for the Odin at this CanJam. I predict that level of buzz for the Raven at SoCal CanJam 2024 after EE unveil their newer IEMs.

The Subtonic STORM is an example of the audio hype train at its most nefarious. The STORM's sound was, to me, rather average. It's a bit lean in the sub-bass, and I'll admit that part is personal preference, but it also seems to have a somewhat uneven treble, and that isn't a plus for anybody. Like the Raven, it's also firmly a part of the audio arms race to pack as many different divers (preferably with as many different driver types) as possible into a single shell. The result is stupid-sized IEMs that - even if they somehow fit in your ear canal - stick out the side of your head like a pair of golf balls. My other gripe (aside from the ridiculous sticker price) is the fact that Subtonic were not prepared to let me measure the STORM. This is the first and only time - at any audio event - that I've been denied that request. It would be understandable if the STORM were a prototype, but Subtonic are already selling this product and are perfectly willing to take your money. What do they have to hide? I'm not claiming measurements can tell you exactly how a headphone will sound to you, but they can quickly find flaws in a product that might be a problem. If you believe that you can determine everything about the sound in just one listening session, go back and carefully re-read paragraph #4. TL;DR: Subtonic and their products all receive an emphatic thumbs down from me.

FiR Audio is an IEM manufacturer that is cascading new products onto the market at a furious pace - certainly faster than the fade-rate of existing-product hype. They've made some great IEMs in the past (and I've voted positively with my wallet on more than one occasion), but they've also had some really weird misses, so a new IEM from FiR has a genuine fun element of surprise to it. They had a new single-driver 'e12' IEM at CanJam, which I found pretty fascinating. It came in a standard FiR shell, but it looked like it might have been 3D-printed. I'm not sure if it's even for sale so, in fairness to Bogdan, no measurement links here, but what I can say is it sounded like a typical dynamic driver with a very slightly emphasized lower treble. (Pretty good actually, but not as good as the NHB12 discussed later.) But there's one really big puzzle - it had large (and I mean really enormous) levels of 2nd-order harmonic distortion. I can't imagine what's going on here, because you never get distortion this high from a single dynamic driver. Apparently it uses an 'electro-dynamic' driver, which ostensibly means the same thing, and yet this driver does indeed seem to be somehow different - but not in a good way. I don't care how harmless (or pleasant-sounding?) even-order harmonics are, at this level something seems to be wrong.

64 Audio's Volür was another IEM that seemed to be getting a lot of chatter and hype. They've come close, but I've never quite found a 64 Audio product that really works for me. Volür certainly seems to be an improvement over the Tia Fourte's tuning, but their upper treble is a bit much and fit is still an issue meaning I'd have to pass on this one.

I'm a big fan of Noble's products. I loved the Sultan and thought last year's Kublai Khan was stunning. Their new Viking Ragnar had me scratching my head though. This is supposedly their new flagship product, but it feels like we've just gone back in time several years. The Ragnar sounds like their original Khan (not the Kublai Khan), which I found too bright. You can see the similarity here.

Astell & Kern have partnered with Vision Ears to make the new 'Aura'. (I think 'partner' here simply means Vision Ears made the product and then cranked up the price so that both companies could take a cut of sales). A&K's past partnerships have usually been over-priced disasters (e.g., T9ie, Odyssey), but the Aura looks only to be over-priced - it's actually a decent-sounding headphone. I personally much prefer the sound (and price) of the PHöNIX (more on this below), but tuning is obviously a personal thing. One general caveat though - check the output impedance of your DAP or amp. Aura has a low and uneven impedance curve, which means that even very small output impedance values (around 1 Ohm or so) can be enough to noticeably change its frequency response. (You can see the effect by adjusting the Z-out value in the tool window here.)

Questyle is a company whose products I've enjoyed in the past. They have a new dongle (the M15) which might appeal to those of you who, thanks to Apple's courage, broke free of those nasty 3.5 mm sockets in your phones. No comment here, because I don't believe in dongles. (To clarify - I believe they exist, but I also believe they're the work of Satan and ought to be banned.) Questyle also have a new 'lossless' IEM, which is 'made for iPhones'. Made for iPhones with a lightning socket, that is. That aged well, didn't it? :wink: However, the NHB12 also comes with a 3.5 mm-terminated cable, so technically it can also be lossless with Android - yay! It's actually a great-sounding IEM. I believe it's selling for around $300USD, which makes it all the more impressive. After hearing it, I commented to the Questyle rep that it sounded very similar to the original Beyerdynamic Xelento. I can't remember his exact words and don't want to get them into a lawsuit with Beyerdynamic, but his response was basically: yes, that's what we were aiming for. Its shell is larger than those of the Xelento, but its frequency response is awfully close. Its lightning cable might quickly become obsolete, but since you can just throw that away and use its supplied 3.5 mm cable with a decent DAC in a DAP or an LG/ASUS phone, I'd give this one a big thumbs up :) Great job Questyle!

Thieaudio have another iteration of their Monarch (the Mkiii), which I guess I enjoyed enough to tolerate its large size. It's another great-sounding IEM - a big improvement over other Harman-like headphones like the AKG N400 (which had some nasty treble spikes). The Monarch Mkiii sounds good enough that I could happily use it without EQ. Another thumbs up from me :)

This was my first time hearing Vision Ears' PHöNIX. It appears to be a cheaper (though still not cheap) version of the ERLKöNIG with its tuning switch in position #2. Number 2 is easily my favorite ERLKöNIG tuning, so I wouldn't miss the switch at all. I actually find the PHöNIX's tuning more to my liking than that of the Harman target and despite the modestly-large shell size, Vision Ears' IEMs always seem to fit in my ears nicely. For me, they're super comfy. Another big thumbs up from me :)

Sadly, this year I didn't find any must-buy products that I left the show with. I've probably been in the game too long to be dramatically surprised by any new headphone or DAP, because most now just represent increasingly small changes (and not always for the better). There was really only one product I would have bought at this year's show. This was a product I heard right at the end which gave me a wow factor I'd not experienced in ages. But this was, sadly, a product that's not even for sale :frowning2: It was a private demo of a headphone unit that oratory1990 showed me. This was a single-driver mems-microspeaker-based IEM that was tuned by oratory1990 via DSP, which it could do by virtue of its USB-C interface. This must have been the smallest IEM I've ever tried - it was ridiculously tiny, so anybody who can fit any kind of eartip in their ears would be able to get a comfortable fit with these. Part of the wow factor probably came from the whole concept of getting a bass this big from a device this tiny. It was apparently tuned to the Usound1v1 target, which (even though it might be fractionally mid-bass heavy for me) is definitely a tuning I prefer over Harman. (If you already own any of the headphones on the HTS database, you can try EQing your existing headphones to that Usound target here.) Sadly, the product itself is now discontinued, but you can see its specs here. I think these would have sold like hot cakes if they'd been exhibited at CanJam. I would have bought one in a heartbeat. It was such clever engineering and such an amazing sound from such a tiny device, and they were just so impressively different from all the other gazillion-driver IEMs that have now become the mainstay of this event. Despite this particular IEM being discontinued, I feel like this type of device is, or should be, the future. Tuning via DSP (for example, with parametric EQ) is much more precise than clunky hardware tuning via resonance chambers, crossovers, dampers, etc. On that subject...

Why is it that we have so few (almost zero) DAPs, USB- or true-wireless-Bluetooth-driven headphones with a proper built-in parametric EQ? I think the answer is you. And me. All of us. We're the reason we can't have nice things. Because we don't demand products that would actually make a significant difference. We're the reason we're going to be visiting an even larger CanJam in 2024, that will be exhibiting even more, even larger IEMs, with even more drivers per side. Sigh.

A final parting thought that brings all this full circle. The gray curve below is oratory's Usound1v1 target; the cyan curve is the arithmetic average of the frequency responses of all those newer headphones discussed above. I don't think this is entirely coincidence:
Average.png
There is a silver lining to almost everything here. The fact that you could get thru so many at Bloom, you could have literally covered almost everything else at musicteck. Oriolus Monacha, Aroma Fei Wan, and others.

I feel downbeat from your post, while my experience was, admittedly my first CanJam, utterly exhilarating. My takeaway was that the IEM market has never been healthier with more competition from talented geniuses!

Oct 10, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #359 of 488
Your impression of the frequency response plus complaints about the size suggests that you got a bad seal and that's why it sounded the way it did to you.

I also don't really understand the complaint about "Like the Raven... part of the audio arms race to pack as many different drivers (preferably with as many different driver types) as possible into a single shell" given that Storm utilizes only two driver types and nine drivers in total, compared to the Raven's four driver types and twelve total drivers, and compared to the Monarch Mk3 which you praised which has three driver types and ten drivers in total.

Considering I and plenty of others on Discord servers like IEF and Elise Audio have had frequency response measurements of Storm available to us from third parties since before Subtonic was taking launch edition orders, I really doubt this is a case of them hiding anything. I think what's nefarious is you assuming that they must be just because they didn't let you shove an IEM that they have limited production capability of and probably less than five samples of into a clone coupler. There's plenty of other measurements of Storm, go take a look at those. Hell I have Storm and a 711 clone coupler, I'll send you measurements on any of the eartips that I have if you ask nicely.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #360 of 488
Subtonic are one of the firms out there that (rightfully so) are acutely aware of how measurements are all too often misused by enthusiasts to draw conclusions and/or form narratives instead of letting their ears decide. This problem is compounded by the fact that almost anyone can get their hands on a clone IEC 711 coupler, many of which don't even meet IEC specification (and that's not even touching on the potential issues with the acoustic impedance of the 711 coupler).

While of course, they didn't know that csglinux isn't just some kid with a clone coupler, I'm not sure being an experienced measurer makes one immune from drawing erroneous conclusions from measurement data. We're only human.
To that end, I support Subtonic's decision to abstain from allowing someone they didn't know to measure one of their engineering samples. Fully within their rights to do so, and since they supply their own B&K 4195-Q measurements on their site, I would agree with McCheese that it doesn't seem they're hiding anything.

In case it's of interest to anyone reading, I had the pleasure of being able to measure a retail unit belonging to a friend (not an engineering sample) on the B&K Type 5128-B at the show, with the assistance of the lovely Vince Rey. Attached below.
Target is the 5128 Diffuse Field HRTF, tilted downward with a -1dB/octave slope across the entire audio band.

graph - 2023-10-10T011125.915.png

Great to see everyone at the show! Highlight for me was probably the time spent at the B&K booth, measuring my friends IEMs. Never thought I'd even get a chance to be in the same room as one, but getting to handle it with Vince's assistance and get useful output was really one of my dreams come true.
The cherry on top was doing the quick binaural audio demo using open-canal mics and B&K's Audeze EL-8 with Jude riiiiiight as the show was closing out. Super fun stuff!

Hopefully I can make it out to SoCal next year, but if not i'll see you all in NYC in March! :darthsmile:

Last edited:
headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back