CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #331 of 955
It disgusts me to hear about people stealing at an event where most people are volunteering their time and equipment.

On a positive note-I brought my 13 year old son with me to his first audio show. He had a great time checking out all the gear and comparing the different headphones. In addition to the gear, he was fired up for the signature hunt and raffle. We waiting until the end of the day because he was really hoping to come home with something(in addition to the 2 free shirts he got from cool vendors). While we waiting for the raffle to start we started talking to another experienced Head-Fi'er who was also waiting. He thought it was cool that my son was getting exposed to all this great sounding stuff. Well, the raffle ended and neither my son or my card got picked for a prize. Coincidentally the guy we were talking to happened to win some IEM phones. He noticed the obvious disappointment on my sons face at the end of the raffle and decided to give the IEM's he had just won to my son. What an incredibly kind gesture coming from a fellow member we had just met. Of course my son was ecstatic and went home thrilled by the whole experience. A big shout out to the fellow Head-Fi'er(sorry I never caught your handle) that made my son's day!!! The majority of Head-Fi'ers are kind and giving people that share a passion for great audio.

Mar 30, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #333 of 955
It disgusts me to hear about people stealing at an event where most people are volunteering their time and equipment.

On a positive note-I brought my 13 year old son with me to his first audio show. He had a great time checking out all the gear and comparing the different headphones. In addition to the gear, he was fired up for the signature hunt and raffle. We waiting until the end of the day because he was really hoping to come home with something(in addition to the 2 free shirts he got from cool vendors). While we waiting for the raffle to start we started talking to another experienced Head-Fi'er who was also waiting. He thought it was cool that my son was getting exposed to all this great sounding stuff. Well, the raffle ended and neither my son or my card got picked for a prize. Coincidentally the guy we were talking to happened to win some IEM phones. He noticed the obvious disappointment on my sons face at the end of the raffle and decided to give the IEM's he had just won to my son. What an incredibly kind gesture coming from a fellow member we had just met. Of course my son was ecstatic and went home thrilled by the whole experience. A big shout out to the fellow Head-Fi'er(sorry I never caught your handle) that made my son's day!!! The majority of Head-Fi'ers are kind and giving people that share a passion for great audio.

Now, that's what head-fi is about. Glad you and your son were there and had a good time. Note to other members, start em young.

Jim

Mar 30, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #334 of 955
Either I'm really stupid or really smart because I just don't get how a person can wake up one morning and decide to attend a show like this to steal stuff. 
Yes, I think it is a factor of not caring at all. Not only are they ripping off the person who worked hard to get what they have or in the case of the vendor, their investment, but they are also ripping off everyone else too.
Stuff like that cause the vendors to have to factor theft into pricing which shuts out more folks from purchasing. Further to that, it can get to the point where vendors don't want to showcase their wares and then what do you guys get? No Can-Jams. Also, folks who own said gear don't want to bring it around either or reaching further, events such as this will have to have armed guards and a government screening process destined to intimidate everyone. Man, it's all just no good and a bad scene.

Mar 30, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #335 of 955
Did anyone get a chance to listen to the Echobox DAP at Canjam?
I know it wouldn't be the final retail model, but it would still be cool to read what people think.
It's currently the most interesting 'in development' DAP (to me anyway), but there seems to be few independant opinions to be found.
I'm sure I saw someone mention that Echobox were there?

As others have said, thanks to all those posting, and even though Canjam is too far for me to attend, thanks to those who organised/ran it.

Yup, I played with it for a while. Really tempting little unit, especially for the price point they're aiming for, I think. I would have LOVED to have had one for CanJam, especially considering how few listening stations had good jazz tracks available. The interface is still in progress, but the output was clear and crisp, and apparently it can handle some seriously demanding headphones. The thing I loved about it was the ability to use TIDAL in a very small package, and it sounded really good with my Westone W40s. 

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #336 of 955
I would hate to find out it was a head-fi member as that is not what this community is about. Most likely a friend of a member, I hope. As solitary man said, this pi**es me off.

Jim

Hopefully not a friend of a member either... If it is, hopefully the friend drops the bumb before that person causes him some more grief.

@santacore glad your son had a positive experience and kudos to that headfier for giving his prize away like.

Enjoy the music.

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #338 of 955
You make some valid points. I had actually brought a non audiophile with me and she was blown away by $$$ of the equipment being presented. She was somewhat intimidated and hence was a little apprehensive to try things out just because she knew she would not be making a purchase at all due to price. I to would like to see more of a spread in $ from low to sumitfi from the various vendors to help those beginners in headphone technology. I do agree with you in that meet conditions are not conducive for testing out open back phones but having dedicated, soundproof listening rooms would require a lot of work nd would drive up entrance costs drastically and deter most people from attending. As far as the speaker vs headphone issue I think we are talking apples and oranges. I myself have a decent 5.1 system at home but rarely get to use at my preferred listening level due to noise complaints and hence have moved over to headphones. I would agree that speakers are more for friends and family. Headphones are for a solitary situation which is the majority of the day for me. Not everyone around me likes the music I like and even at home I would not have my my speaker system on while watching over the air/Hulu/Netflix movies and shows but I do want better sound quality and hence find myself using headphones and a splitter if anyone else were to join-- quite intimate indeed
tongue.gif

Happy listening all.

I know how your friend feels. I'm a non-audiophile too and I get intimidated easily. There were at least two tables including the Cavili one that I was afraid to even go near. (I can't hold my breath that long). I also spent less than 5 minutes listening to anything I was invited to. I wonder if your friend has regrets now. Mine are: 1) Not spending more than a few seconds to 3 minutes listening to headphones I had interest in. 2) Not talking more with the Oppo rep about the HA-1 and 3) Being too intimidated to at least acknowledge the welcoming gesture of beckoning me to the Cavili table by the rep there. I just hope she didn't think I was not nice or was being rude or something, I was just too scared thinking it was 5 digit stuff.

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #340 of 955
I also wanted to add that I never noticed any of the vendors treating my son any differently then the rest of the adults. By the way-his show favorites were the Oppo HA-2 rig, Mr. Speakers Ethers, Cavalli Audio 009 rig, Pono player, and the Riva Turbo-X. Not bad for a kid that doesn't really get to listen to daddies expensive rig much.

My favorites- Mr. Speakers Ethers, Ayre Codex dac/amp with HD800's, Pono player, Cavalli Audio new small desktop amp, Cavalli 009 rig, and Riva Turbo-X.

The Ethers sounded different on most every setup, but always were comfortable and very musical. If I wasn't up to my ears in top tier stuff I would be buying these.

I was very impressed with the Ayre Codec with the HD800's. Extremely smooth and musical sounding with great dynamics. I couldn't believe how much body the HD800's had with this setup. If that was my main phone, this would be very tempting.

I've never been a Stax guy, but that 009 setup was pretty darn fantastic sounding.

The Riva Turbo-X was another fun surprise. Really great sound from a small Bluetooth speaker that has a 26 hour battery life. That would be a great setup for hanging out by the pool, camping, or just music in kitchen or dining room.

A nod goes out to WyWires for their fantastic sounding cables. I seem to always love the systems that are using their stuff. I still can't believe how great sounding and comfortable his red headphone cable is for the money. Good stuff!!!

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #341 of 955
  Either I'm really stupid or really smart because I just don't get how a person can wake up one morning and decide to attend a show like this to steal stuff. 
Yes, I think it is a factor of not caring at all. Not only are they ripping off the person who worked hard to get what they have or in the case of the vendor, their investment, but they are also ripping off everyone else too.
Stuff like that cause the vendors to have to factor theft into pricing which shuts out more folks from purchasing. Further to that, it can get to the point where vendors don't want to showcase their wares and then what do you guys get? No Can-Jams. Also, folks who own said gear don't want to bring it around either or reaching further, events such as this will have to have armed guards and a government screening process destined to intimidate everyone. Man, it's all just no good and a bad scene.

I think all the simultaneous conventions may have drawn more attention to the event than originally planned. I'm not going around pointing fingers or anything but that was also something I saw. Still out of all the major exhibitors only a few were picked off. They needed to be more attentive or have some kind of responsibility because I know at Schiit there were 4 guys working it and they had only full sized headphones.

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #343 of 955
  Yeah, and I've always wanted to go at least once. bummer

It's not all that hard to wrangle tickets. My engineering business is only peripherally involved with consumer electronics, and they approved me/us with pretty much no oversight. 

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #344 of 955
  If you haven't already done so, make sure to stop by the Member Showcase, and check out (and listen to) the Frank Cooter designed and built electrostatic amp, driving the Stax SR009. It is easily one of the most beautiful pieces of audio gear I have ever laid eyes on, and it sounds amazing.

Like Frank, I've desired a bit more smoothness and body from the Stax SR-009, and this amp, to my ears, is a stunning pairing.

(Above) Frank Cooter with the 845 DHT (Directly-Heated Triode) Electrostatic Amplifier that he designed and built.

Now THAT's what I'm talking about 
atsmile.gif

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #345 of 955

I think all the simultaneous conventions may have drawn more attention to the event than originally planned. I'm not going around pointing fingers or anything but that was also something I saw. Still out of all the major exhibitors only a few were picked off. They needed to be more attentive or have some kind of responsibility because I know at Schiit there were 4 guys working it and they had only full sized headphones.

Even still though, just one being hit is more than enough, but it was more than one. It's just so very sad and disturbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back