CanJam@RMAF 2011 Listening Impressions Thread
Oct 26, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #649 of 678
Wish I was there. Used up all of my days off this year due to a back injury. Next year, I'll be there.

Glad you guys had fun. How can something like an audio meet, not be fun. A bad day at RMAF is better than a good day at work, unless you're Tony Bennett 
smile.gif

Oct 26, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #650 of 678
Soup, I did, at the very beginning of the show, and quite honestly they sounded terrible.  And this is connected to electronics I KNOW sound good.  dminches went back later and said they sounded better, apparently they had not been broken in (which would be a bad mistake), so maybe he can add comment.

Oct 27, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #652 of 678
Remaining pics of the 23 total that were taken. Click any for a larger version.

Cavalli Audio Liquid Lightning (Pro and Normal jacks indicated by H and L respectively)

Dr. Alex Cavalli (on left) with sales/marketing associate

Stax SR-009 & HeadAmp BHSE in silver

Eddie Current Super 7 prototype

"Doc B" at his Bottlehead vendor table with tape reel system

Sennheiser's vendor table

Senn USA's Eric Palonen (Product Manager) on left, covering their table with Senn-blue cloth as Friday wrapped up

Westone-provided refreshments in the "lounge" area

the Westone-provided lounge area (also included a 2nd couch opposite this one, plus 1 more)

Audeze LCD-3 on Klutz Design stand

vendor tables in the center of the Head-Fi/CanJam room

Oct 27, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #653 of 678
Despite being in that room for something like 20 hours I successfully evaded all photographic detection.

Oct 27, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #654 of 678
Great pic's ASR!

I agree that this was quite different from a member driven CanJam which I'd still love to see happen again. In fact, there are some regional meets that are getting so big that they're getting to be more like CanJams of the past.

That said, I had a fantastic time and my thanks goes out to Jude and jp# for doing the leg work to put this all together (and the beer social was an excellent idea).
I did miss seeing some of my favorite headfiers like Wayne, Aaron, Vicki and Mike. If you're reading this you guys, we didn't miss a chance to insult your character simply because you weren't there!

As far as listening goes, I did really enjoy the sound that Doc B was getting with a pair of HD800's from his new Smack amp. I honestly don't think you can do much better for 4 times the price for that kit.
This was the first meet that I liked the sound of the LCD2/3. Maybe it was the kinds of amps I heard it with, or maybe I just never heard the "rev 2" version (I'd heard every version from it's humble beginnings at the LA CanJam) but this time, it sounded like something I could pry $1k+ out of my vault to get. I didn't really try to find the differences in the 2 and 3 versions. I think that the room was just too noisy to decide which is more suited to my tastes.
The 009 really did sound like a cross between the 02 mk1 and the SR Omega. I'm still more of a fan of the HE90 house sound so it's still not for me.

Oct 28, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #655 of 678

Quote:

As far as listening goes, I did really enjoy the sound that Doc B was getting with a pair of HD800's from his new Smack amp. I honestly don't think you can do much better for 4 times the price for that kit.
This was the first meet that I liked the sound of the LCD2/3. Maybe it was the kinds of amps I heard it with, or maybe I just never heard the "rev 2" version (I'd heard every version from it's humble beginnings at the LA CanJam) but it this time, it sounded like something I could pry $1k+ out of my vault to get.

You are one of the few people I can totally relate to on both counts.  Pretty much mirrors my experience and thoughts.

Oct 28, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #656 of 678
Thanks for the kind words, guys. I like that combo too. It was interesting to see someone walk up and put on some cans, get an enthused look in their eyes, and then start reading the specs and realize that what they were listening to was a kit. There is this moment of uncertainty that appears in some expressions, "oh no, I can't do that!"

I assure you that just about anyone can do it. Hopefully we can get more of you guys to try out a soldering iron in the coming year.

Oct 28, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #657 of 678
I plan to pick up one of your speaker amp kits sometime next year. My old Puoneer receiver is just ugly and mediocre.

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words, guys. I like that combo too. It was interesting to see someone walk up and put on some cans, get an enthused look in their eyes, and then start reading the specs and realize that what they were listening to was a kit. There is this moment of uncertainty that appears in some expressions, "oh no, I can't do that!"

I assure you that just about anyone can do it. Hopefully we can get more of you guys to try out a soldering iron in the coming year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back