CanJam@RMAF 2011 Listening Impressions Thread
Oct 20, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #511 of 678
Based on early impressions on the LCD-3: Anyone that have some impressions of the LCD-3 vs. the HiFiMAN HE-6?

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #512 of 678

Quote:
Based on early impressions on the LCD-3: Anyone that have some impressions of the LCD-3 vs. the HiFiMAN HE-6?

Yup, I would love to hear about this particular duel though I have the feeling the Audez'es are gonna thump the hifimans. They had better for the price difference.

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #513 of 678
Quote:

I own the HE-6, and had time to hook it up to the Cavalli Liquid Fire.  So LCD-3/CLF vs. HE-6/CLF, the LCD-3 wins hands-down.  The HE-6 still does treble better, and mids are comparable, but the LCD-3 really shames the HE-6 in the bass category. Oodles of clean, tight solid bass.

LCD-3/CLF vs. HE-6/RSA Dark Star is a bit harder.  The Dark Star gives the HE-6 more bass character than I thought I'd ever hear from these headphones.  The treble is awesome too.  It's very close, in my estimation.  In short, HE-6/RSADS has amazing treble, great mids and good bass, while LCD-3/CLF has good treble, great mids and amazing bass.

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #514 of 678
Thanks, sridhar3. I guess that enlighten the fact that it is not purely headphones that matter, but also synergy. That is nothing new, but sometimes the discussions in these threads leave that impression. 

Based on the headphone & amp / DAC portfolio I currently have, combining it with information posted after the CanJam, I am starting to see some contours of the LCD-3 own sound signature. Again thanks. 

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #515 of 678

Quote:
Quote:
I own the HE-6, and had time to hook it up to the Cavalli Liquid Fire.  So LCD-3/CLF vs. HE-6/CLF, the LCD-3 wins hands-down.  The HE-6 still does treble better, and mids are comparable, but the LCD-3 really shames the HE-6 in the bass category. Oodles of clean, tight solid bass.

LCD-3/CLF vs. HE-6/RSA Dark Star is a bit harder.  The Dark Star gives the HE-6 more bass character than I thought I'd ever hear from these headphones.  The treble is awesome too.  It's very close, in my estimation.  In short, HE-6/RSADS has amazing treble, great mids and good bass, while LCD-3/CLF has good treble, great mids and amazing bass.

How about the LCD-3/Darkstar combo, I believe one other headfier said that that was his second best setup of the show after the he-90/a10 combo

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #516 of 678
To me, most importantly I would like to know how the soundstage compares between LCD-3 & HE-6?  Thanks!

I have never committed to any LCD-x yet just because of the small narrow sound field issue. 

Quote:
Quote:

Oct 20, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #517 of 678
Quote:
Thanks, sridhar3. I guess that enlighten the fact that it is not purely headphones that matter, but also synergy. That is nothing new, but sometimes the discussions in these threads leave that impression. 

Based on the headphone & amp / DAC portfolio I currently have, combining it with information posted after the CanJam, I am starting to see some contours of the LCD-3 own sound signature. Again thanks. 

No problem!

Quote:
How about the LCD-3/Darkstar combo, I believe one other headfier said that that was his second best setup of the show after the he-90/a10 combo

I didn't have the opportunity to take the LCD-3 over to the RSA table.  The Audez'e guys only had three pairs, so we were only really able to take them to other tables when there was very little traffic (i.e. after normal show hours).  If I could speculate purely based on specs, however, I'd say that since both the LCD-2 and LCD-3 both have the same efficiency/sensitivity, they would likely not benefit from the extra juice conferred by the Dark Star.  I can't comment on synergy as I didn't hear the pairing, but the Dark Star was designed with the HE-6 in mind, a fact that will make such a synergy less likely.

Quote:
To me, most importantly I would like to know how the soundstage compares between LCD-3 & HE-6?  Thanks!

I have never committed to any LCD-x yet just because of the small narrow sound field issue.  

The LCD-3 has better soundstage than the LCD-2, but I personally felt the HE-6 still has better soundstage, especially when paired with the RSA Dark Star.

Oct 20, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #518 of 678
I liked the LCD2 best on the Darkstar. As you'll see in my notes it was the first time I thought their performance was very good. I thought they were still on the 'too dark' side, but they were very good there. The LCD3 cured the 'too dark' and slightly bested the HE-6 on the same setup. I wasn't all that satisfied with the LCD3 on any other rig. The 2a3 and LF were acceptable, but not something I would buy.

Oct 20, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #519 of 678
My experience is that soundstage width and tonal balance in the highs are somewhat correlated. I.e. soundstage width is not necessarily a standalone parameter. IMHO. Soundstage e.g. depth,. are however less correlated with tonal balance.

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #520 of 678

Quote:
 The 2a3 and LF were acceptable, but not something I would buy.

rolleyes.gif

In my 4 years of experience exclusively with orthos, and having owned the LCD-2 since before day1, and a previous owner of the LCD-1 and twice owner of the HE5 and once the HE5LE, the LCD-2 never sounded better to me than on the Balancing Act and the Liquid Fire.  

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #521 of 678

Quote:
I liked the LCD2 best on the Darkstar. As you'll see in my notes it was the first time I thought their performance was very good. I thought they were still on the 'too dark' side, but they were very good there. The LCD3 cured the 'too dark' and slightly bested the HE-6 on the same setup. I wasn't all that satisfied with the LCD3 on any other rig. The 2a3 and LF were acceptable, but not something I would buy.

What did you like most about the Darkstar over the other amps? Tone / presentation? Resolution? Dynamics? Clarity?

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #522 of 678
I also thought that the LCD-3 sounded excellent with the LF. Pity I didn't get a chance to try any of the Eddie Current amps. The LCD-3 sounds very good on both the LF and the RWA Audeze Edition. Can't wait to try them in my home this weekend on the RWA AE and Leben.

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #523 of 678
sridhar3 said:
 Sure, I can elaborate a bit. I found the Rx Mk.III to be great-sounding in almost all respects. It doesn't have the clarity and pinpoint detail retrieval of a full-size amp, and it sounded a bit warm and "tubey" to me. But it gave off a forgiving, musical sound and made for engaging listening. The Rx Mk.III at the ALO table was hooked up to a CLAS and LCD-2. It drove the LCD-2 with ease. Great bass, treble was decent, mids were solid. It didn't throw a very large soundstage, but then again, that's never been the strong suit of the LCD-2. I actually regret not trying the HE-6 with this thing, just to see how much power it can put out.

If there are any specifics you'd like to ask about, please feel free to do so.

Can you compare its sound to the SR71B's and in what aspects it did better?

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #524 of 678
rolleyes.gif

In my 4 years of experience exclusively with orthos, and having owned the LCD-2 since before day1, and a previous owner of the LCD-1 and twice owner of the HE5 and once the HE5LE, the LCD-2 never sounded better to me than on the Balancing Act and the Liquid Fire.  

That's fine, but don't roll your eyes at me. They are my impressions and I wrote them as I heard them.

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #525 of 678

What did you like most about the Darkstar over the other amps? Tone / presentation? Resolution? Dynamics? Clarity?

Mostly it was the center focus issue. This is the most important thing for me because a voice or instruments that should be center, not being centered, is very distracting to me. The focus on any can I put through the Darkstar was excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back