CanJam NYC 2017 Impressions Thread!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 5, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #31 of 323
This was my first meet in years and the first ever for The Little Monkey.  What a great time.  So much interesting stuff out there.  And so great to see so many old friends.  Also great to see that the hobby is alive and well.  And thanks to the vendors and members, all of whom made my son feel very, very welcome.  Looks like we've got another headphile in the making, god help me...

Feb 5, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #32 of 323
Just returned,great time meeting some members,and some Head-fi celebs too.

Met Jude,Zach from ZMF(both very nice cool folks) Fang from HiFiMan and my personal fav of the day, NBA HOFer David "The Admiral" Robinson.

My two favorite headphones from the meet were ZMF Atticus(that bass+stunning mids) and Mr.Speakers Aeon,which was a very pleasant surprise!

Had a great time!
Yes, that was awesome that he was there.

Feb 5, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #33 of 323
Another notable standout was the boys at Dekoni. I made a passing suggestion that they consider making a backing/tuning plate clone for their TH-X00 upgrade pads. The owner told me they were, wait a sec, then handed me some proto types to try out and share my experience.

Um, wow. And also, whoa! Forgot what the sound signature of the stock pads must have been like. The rumble is back! With the comfort of natural leather and memory foam. Generally an overall tilt to the mid and bass, allowing me to hear what's going on in the low-mids to mids way better now. And that's good, as the replacement pads without the plate biased the signature slightly too far to the treble. I predict Dekoni is going sell a whole Lotta these!

Feb 5, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #35 of 323
Any locally heard rumors on the successors to Astel&Kern AK380 & AK500n ?  

May be sharing some beers with A&K reps will help... 
beerchug.gif

Feb 5, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #37 of 323

Wow. I didn't know there was another room. Yay! More fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

I was surprised too, I didn't aware the problem until my customers complained how difficult if was for them to find me at the URIS room.

I hope HeadFi attendance on Sunday CanJam NYC won't miss our showcase again.
beerchug.gif

Andy, it was a pleasure meeting you in person, and I encourage others to stop by URIS room to check out Cayin exhibit and their new N3 portable DAP, as well as Unique Melody and their new planar magnetic ME.1 iems.  It's located to the left of the main CanJam area.

It's not just a nice quiet area to give your ears a break, the main showroom had a huge crowd and it gets loud, but also a chance to listen to a lot of premium full size cans.

Feb 5, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #38 of 323

Thanks for your feedback. We did have the SR-007 out the entire time. This particular one has had the drivers replaced with the latest ones. So, they will sound similar to the latest SR-007 model. If you can come back tomorrow we will still have them!

Glad to hear the SR-007 is back available at the booth. Been looking for it at Canjam London 2016 (and I believe it was also missing at RMAF 2015, but not entirely sure). If I remember, it was in for repairs. Will it be there at Canjam Singapore 2017?

Feb 5, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #39 of 323
It was such a PLEASURE to attend my first CanJam and to be able to meet in person the people behind Head-fi. (@jude, @joe, @AxelCloris). You guys make it happen for all of us to come together in one place, to share our common interests and passion for the music and the audio gear, to get together on-line and in person at the meets and the shows like one big happy (and maybe on some occasions dysfunctional) family!!!
biggrin.gif
 and of course to @third_eye for organizing such a fantastic event!!!

I definitely should have made plans to attend CanJam for 2 days, one day is NOT enough for sure.  It was just so overwhelming and I end up spending most of the day, from 10am to 6pm, socializing rather than taking notes and pictures as I was originally planning to do.  Felt like I was inside of a pinball machine jumping from one table to the other, saying hello to manufacturers, meeting for the first time face to face with people I have formed a bond over the emails and PM exchanges.

Also, big shout out to @Jack Vang and @Canyon Runner, you guys are like family, and @moedawg140 you are one COOL dawg!!!

I can't wait for CanJam NYC 2018!!!!!!!

Feb 5, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #41 of 323
This is he 2nd or 3rd time I seen people post David Robinson went to a headphone meet!

Guy must be a serious audiophile fan.

Mr. Robinson is so awesome and does know his stuff. I mean, he at least owns a Zen Black Edition -- in awe of his knowledge, and a pleasure to converse with as well!

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #42 of 323
Is anyone heard the 64audio Tia Fourte ?

Feb 5, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #43 of 323

Please remember that I consider myself only a part time headphone user and a full time stereo nut and audiophile.  My comments on CanJam NYC 2017 are from a different view point than that of a dedicated headphone user.  Given that this CanJam was 30 miles from where I live I simply had to go.  So for what it is worth here are my impressions.

For a national headphone show it was much smaller than I expected it to be.   I say this because shortly after the turn of the century some of the best audio shows ever in NYC were held at the Hilton on 53rd   and 6th and that is what I was expecting. Where were AKG, Stax and several of the Japanese makers?

So going from the top down here are my impressions of what I heard at the show.

Both the HE-1 from Sennheiser and the Shangri  La from HiFiMan were incredible (I got goose bumps listening to the HE-1)  but at $50K I think they are basically statement products.  I say this because by pure coincidence I happen to audition a pair of Wilson Audio Alexia floor standing speaks about 10 days ago at Innovative Audio in NYC.  They cost almost exactly the same as either of these headphone systems and give you a soundstage image that makes you think the performers are right in front of you.  No set of headphones (including the two above) have ever done that for me.

I was very impressed be the Kimber Kable Axios headphone cable.  It sounds very neutral and open.  It was used by Woo Audio, Sennheiser , Focal and others.  It also gets very expensive if you want the models that use silver wires.

I thought the Focal Utopia was the best sounding dynamic headphones at the show and I am considering upgrading to them.  I thought the Abyss headphones are one of the best planer headphones I have ever heard.

I use Sennheiser HD800 headphones and was able to do an AB comparison of the 800 and the 800S at the Sennheiser both.  The 800S has more bass but I think neutrality has been degraded by the extra bass.  I was told by one of the people manning their both that there will be more hi-end products from Sennheiser coming in the next two years including a tube headphone amp.  Hopefully it will sell for less than $50K.

One last thought is that I was surprised to see only one booth that had a turntable as the source.

Feb 5, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #45 of 323
For a national headphone show it was much smaller than I expected it to be.   I say this because shortly after the turn of the century some of the best audio shows ever in NYC were held at the Hilton on 53rd   and 6th and that is what I was expecting. Where were AKG, Stax and several of the Japanese makers?

You should go to CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, which is in Denver around early October. The usual hotel they have the entire event should be fully renovated by then, so I cannot give any details, but rooms with individual vendors will have speaker setups as well. Even companies, like Stax, have a room set up for their ear speaker setups, so that you can have a more quiet listening area.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back