Canare vs. Cardas???
Feb 12, 2009 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Capt. Z

500+ Head-Fier
I have an old Beyerdynamic DT990 headphone re-cabled with Canare start quad. My plan is to re-cable it with Cardas chassis wire 4x24ga.

When I replaced the original wire on my Beyer with Canare star quad the highs 'calmed down' and the bass and mids got fuller. Got similar experience with a solid core magnet wire, with even less highs.

Goals is to keep the bass and mids 'full and warm' but have some more high end for better resolution.

Just wanted to check and see what sonic difference I can expect between the Canare and the Cardas.

Feb 12, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #2 of 18
The Cardas cable sounds good. I've listened to their cable for sennheisers and liked them very much. However, I'm not sure how just the chassis wire compares to the actual headphone recables they do. If I were you, and if I really wished to retain the high-end maybe a silver plated copper cable would be best.

Feb 13, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #3 of 18
I am using Cardas, not bad at all...
icon10.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #4 of 18
I actually had bought a Cardas cable for the Beyer once before. It came with Sennheiser connectors so I made the mistake plugging them into my HD600. That's where they stayed, since I prefered it way over the Equinox cable, which came with my used HD600.

Well, sold the Equinox and later on sold the HD600 with the Cardas, since I always used the old Beyer, while the HD600 collected dust.

Feb 13, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 18
Which is thinner, or atleast more flexible? Canare or Cardas (gonna recable a couple of portapro drivers)? And what's the best place to get either of them?

Also does a thin flexible solid core cooper/silver exists?

thx

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt. Z /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually had bought a Cardas cable for the Beyer once before. It came with Sennheiser connectors so I made the mistake plugging them into my HD600. That's where they stayed, since I prefered it way over the Equinox cable, which came with my used HD600.

Well, sold the Equinox and later on sold the HD600 with the Cardas, since I always used the old Beyer, while the HD600 collected dust.

You liked the Cardas over the Equinox?! I am shocked.

Feb 14, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why?

a lot of people here find the equinox to be the hands-down best sennheiser replacement cable. The Cardas is also much less expensive in comparison with the other cables out there (equinox, aps, zu, etc).

Feb 14, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyotero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which is thinner, or atleast more flexible? Canare or Cardas (gonna recable a couple of portapro drivers)? And what's the best place to get either of them?

Also does a thin flexible solid core cooper/silver exists?

thx

Sarn-Industries Clarus perhaps? No silver though. Now how big of a issue is stiff cables? I have always run stock and I may have the opposite problem I feel at times in my home setup. I don´t use them for portables so is it a non issue then?

Feb 14, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why?

To my ears the Cardas sounded more 'right' with the HD600.

Many people wrote about the mid-bass hump in the HD600. That hump was much less noticable with the Cardas.

I believe the highs were also a little more extended without getting harsh. It's been a while while I had these cables and the HD600.

On the HD600 my vote goes definately to the Cardas - by far.

Feb 14, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a lot of people here find the equinox to be the hands-down best sennheiser replacement cable. The Cardas is also much less expensive in comparison with the other cables out there (equinox, aps, zu, etc).

I also know some prefer the stock cable than the equinox
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sarn-Industries Clarus perhaps? No silver though. Now how big of a issue is stiff cables? I have always run stock and I may have the opposite problem I feel at times in my home setup. I don´t use them for portables so is it a non issue then?

Nah to pricey.
But anyways, I just canibalised some Canare extension cable I had and did a quick recable. Well, seems to be just about perfect. Better then that SPC cable I had which was damn annoying.

Feb 14, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #13 of 18
yeah, I think for the price the Canare is really great sounding.

STuill wondering how the Canare would compare to the Cardas.

Feb 15, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mogami is much better than canare IMHO

x2. I like the Mogami a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back