Canal Phones and change in elevation (change in air pressure)
Oct 7, 2007 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Nagasaki_Kid

500+ Head-Fier
I was wearing my ep630 (usually wear my koss pro35a) on a bus (the bus goes up and down a small mountain) today, and I started to realise alot of pressure in my ears. So I took off my phones and felt really light headed for the next 20 mins and had a really bad headache for most of an hour. Has anyone else experienced discomfort in this type of situation or is the seal from my canalphone too tight? There really should be a warning on canalphone boxes for altitude change

Oct 7, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 13
I noticed the same even without traveling, with Senn CX300.

I suspect that foam plugs would let the pressure equalize better than the airtight rubber ones.. Though I guess you have to mod your own if you want foamies with ep630 and cx300
frown.gif

Oct 7, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #3 of 13
I actually had a very similar experience except during a drive in Colorado as the elevation changed I developed a very painful inner ear pain and got a very bad migraine coupled with light-headedness.

I've never experienced this here in Florida so I assume it was due to changing air pressure.

Oct 7, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilmari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed the same even without traveling, with Senn CX300.

I suspect that foam plugs would let the pressure equalize better than the airtight rubber ones.. Though I guess you have to mod your own if you want foamies with ep630 and cx300
frown.gif

Ultimate Ears foamies will work on your EP-630's.

Oct 7, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #5 of 13
I developed a headache in a similar fashion. My suggestion is either take the headphones out and re seat them ever 500ft or so, or don't use them when your are driving on a road that varies in altitude more than 1000 feet.

Oct 7, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #6 of 13
Ummmm....here's an idea: Don't use NOISE ISOLATING while driving. Let alone the fact you shouldn't be driving with any types of headphones/IEM's.

Oct 7, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #7 of 13
Take them out, equalize the pressure, put them back in. Works for me.

Oct 7, 2007 at 8:36 AM Post #8 of 13
The last time I flew in a plane, I was wearing E3Cs and after I landed I had real balance issues for 2 days afterwards, felt really dizzy etc.

I was wearing them on the ascent and decent, maybe that was my issue?

Oct 7, 2007 at 12:31 PM Post #9 of 13
I've heard that some audiologist will recommend you put them in before taking off. It's something about it being helpful to your ears. Not exactly Shure (and yes, pun intended
wink.gif
).

Oct 7, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #10 of 13
I've over 40 years experience with IEM's and if you have an airtight seal IME/IMO you're not getting the best sound. If the seal is airtight one gets a cave like echo effect. Mind you some folks like that sound. I don't, it's unrealistic. But does add to the bass and resonance.

My customs have a breather hole to prevent issues such as this. Then you just have to pop your ears to maintain internal/external ear canal pressure.

Or just chew gum, that works just as well for most.

Oct 7, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard that some audiologist will recommend you put them in before taking off. It's something about it being helpful to your ears. Not exactly Shure (and yes, pun intended
wink.gif
).

Naw, that won't help. See my previous post.

Oct 7, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagasaki_Kid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wearing my ep630 (usually wear my koss pro35a) on a bus (the bus goes up and down a small mountain) today, and I started to realise alot of pressure in my ears. So I took off my phones and felt really light headed for the next 20 mins and had a really bad headache for most of an hour. Has anyone else experienced discomfort in this type of situation or is the seal from my canalphone too tight? There really should be a warning on canalphone boxes for altitude change

You're assuming that the problem was caused by the canalphones, when this is a problem that can occur as the result of a change in altitude regardless of whether you are wearing canalphones or not.

In any event, the ear receives air through the nose via the Eustachian tube: http://www.entnet.org/healthinfo/ears/altitude.cfm

Oct 7, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ummmm....here's an idea: Don't use NOISE ISOLATING while driving. Let alone the fact you shouldn't be driving with any types of headphones/IEM's.

I wasn't the one driving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back