Canadian Dollar "what will you buy" thread
Nov 8, 2007 at 4:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Sarchi

500+ Head-Fier
OK Canucks, if our loonie hits $ _X_, what will you buy?

If it hits $1.20 (which I think it will very soon), I think I'm gonna pick up a Yamamoto HA-02. Something I wouldn't dream of happening in the near future under 'normal' circumstances. Get it while you can, as they say.

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if it gets that high I'm going to buy a 2008 mx-5 and bring it over the border.

I imported a used Kawi Concours last year, it was pretty easy.

You won't have any warranty on a new vehicle though....
(we have 2 Mazdas....love 'em)

Nov 8, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I imported a used Kawi Concours last year, it was pretty easy.

You won't have any warranty on a new vehicle though....
(we have 2 Mazdas....love 'em)

quite honestly, that is no concern to me. I will use the $10,000 I save towards any (unlikely) repairs.

Nov 8, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #5 of 15
With dollar at 1.20 american $$ I would get: a MAD amp:
Ear+ Purist HD2 High Definition Stereo Headphone Amplifier

Tough luck for me, it's a canadian product!!!!!!!!!
But the price is in US $$, I will benefit from that!

I remember in 1999 and 2003 when the canadian dollar was worth .60 US$ and to get $1000.00 of US products it costed $1,600.00 canadian $$. Very crazy...

regards

Nov 8, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #6 of 15
I highly doubt that we'll see 1.2, or even hit 1.1 again. The ABCP, credit and housing problems are stabilizing and being resolved. A strong oil production and good drilling due to a "light" hurricane season may bring it down. It may go just above 1.1, but if it goes above 1.15 that I'll eat some triports piece by piece.

Nov 8, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I highly doubt that we'll see 1.2, or even hit 1.1 again. The ABCP, credit and housing problems are stabilizing and being resolved. A strong oil production and good drilling due to a "light" hurricane season may bring it down.

It may go just above 1.1, but if it goes above 1.15 that I'll eat some triports piece by piece.

Funny!
580smile.gif

You know, the only way to remove that is to edit it out
wink.gif

regards

Nov 8, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #10 of 15
Just injected some cash from my bank to my Paypal. Looking at getting another pair of cans at this price. If the dollar stays up when Christmas come saround, I'm gonna have a hell of a time buying new toys.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #11 of 15
I'm hoping that it goes higher as I am looking to get some UE11's.
biggrin.gif
However, this is hitting me in the FS forums.

Yay for USD pricing?

Nov 8, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #12 of 15
You have good taste, pne... I'd pick the same vehicle.

I'm probably going to go for a Lavry DA10 DAC.

For me, the dollar has been a mixed blessing. Many of my investments are getting hammered, badly, by the drop in the US dollar. Relative to the Canadian dollar, most of my US assets have lost 10% of their value in the last 3 weeks alone. This makes it difficult to keep holding US-denominated bonds (negative real rate of return thanks to the currency risk) and primarily dividend-paying US stocks. I've been winding things down for the last six months, but the recent acceleration has really caught me by surprise.

The other thing worth mentioning is that we should probably act sooner than later if we're looking for deals. Eventually inflation is going to hit the US and prices in the US will rise. It doesn't matter if the Yuan is pegged to the dollar, when the raw materials costs priced in US dollars are rising.

Nov 8, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The other thing worth mentioning is that we should probably act sooner than later if we're looking for deals. Eventually inflation is going to hit the US and prices in the US will rise. It doesn't matter if the Yuan is pegged to the dollar, when the raw materials costs priced in US dollars are rising.

Umm....U.S. core inflation is at 2.2% and with a renewed fear of a broader economic slowdown inflation concerns are simply unwarranted. The Chinese Central Bank announcing possible changes to their foreign currency reserves doesn't help either. On the bright side, exchange rates are mean-reverting. The bad news is the U.S. currency still has ways to go.

Nov 8, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Umm....U.S. core inflation is at 2.2% and with a renewed fear of a broader economic slowdown inflation concerns are simply unwarranted. The Chinese Central Bank announcing possible changes to their foreign currency reserves doesn't help either. On the bright side, exchange rates are mean-reverting. The bad news is the U.S. currency still has ways to go.

There is little inflation yet, but inflation will come. The currency is falling and raw materials costs priced in that currency are rising. Unless you expect everyone between the manufacturer and the consumer to give up their profit margins, inflation in the US is inevitable.

Nov 10, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #15 of 15
ttt

I still think it's going higher....way higher. Triports with mango chutney are very underrated, Eli.

And this is about toys, not economics!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back