Canadian College/University, where do you go?
Sep 26, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #31 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by hero zero
oh dear..am I the only one from UBC?

hmm..maybe it's better that way. It's going downhill imo. Majoring in history

= P

Nope I'm Reppin' UBC as well. Also reppin' the Fiji house.

Sep 26, 2005 at 3:47 PM Post #32 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless
btw...why do they say that SFU has a super high suicide rate? From what I remember people said it was because the campus is depressing, but I found the architechture to be awesome. Maybe because it is so secluded? hmm...jlo mein, are there many reports of suicide?

Hmmm..interesting that SFU had such a reputation. Is this a new rep? When I went to that school, like some 10 to 15 years ago, there was no such rumours around. However, the interesting TRUE stories that happened on campus when I attended were:

1) Study to death case. I was visiting my gf back then in the residences and once I remember seeing lots of people mulling around outside and found out that a corpse was discovered in one of the rooms. Apparently, in one of the residences (a townhouse with 4 rooms), 3 of the housemates got a real funky smell from one of the bedroom and they haven't seen this other housemate for quite a while now... When they couldn't take the smell anymore, they got the RA to break into the room and there, they discovered a decomposing corpse who passed away while studying for her finals. I think, in the end, it was discovered that she died of some natural causes... don't know much beyond this.

2) For those of you who watches TVB (HK Cantonese Television Soap Opera Producer) will know that Sonija Kwok came from SFU. She was there when I was studying and one of my good friends back then was dating her. Not anymore though..

Hmmm...I think that's about it in terms of really memorable happenings on campus back then..
smily_headphones1.gif

Any other interesting true "stories" from other campusses?

SH

Sep 26, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #34 of 64
Alumnus: Queen's University - BScH Life Science Spec. Genetics
BEng Chemical
MSc Immunology jointly conferred by MIT

University of Ottawa - LLB
LLM
MA Philosophy
MCL

St. Paul University - JCB
JCL
BTh
MA Bioethics

Current: University of Ottawa - LLD
PhD Philosophy

St. Paul University - JCD

Sep 26, 2005 at 11:12 PM Post #36 of 64
Well i havent gotten out of highschool yet but am planning to either go to UWO or fanshawe college just because they're in london. I want to go into electrical eng. but only my math marks will say if i can go to UWO.

Sep 27, 2005 at 2:45 AM Post #38 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by MIKEp
Well i havent gotten out of highschool yet but am planning to either go to UWO or fanshawe college just because they're in london. I want to go into electrical eng. but only my math marks will say if i can go to UWO.

Why go to UWO for engineering? IMO, it isn't a very good engineering university, the only reason I would go there is for one of their combined degrees. I think the best university for electrical engineering is U of T, but that involves going to Toronto
eek.gif
Go to Mcmaster its a much better engineering school and only like an hour and half from London
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 27, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #39 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skipinder
Why go to UWO for engineering? IMO, it isn't a very good engineering university, the only reason I would go there is for one of their combined degrees. I think the best university for electrical engineering is U of T, but that involves going to Toronto
eek.gif
Go to Mcmaster its a much better engineering school and only like an hour and half from London
smily_headphones1.gif

Whoa there! Firstly it depends greatly on the type of engineering. UWO actually has a very very good EE programme, one of the best in the country and much stronger than McMaster. The best EE programme right now is Queen's, then closely followed by Waterloo then UBC then Toronto and Western. It helps to indicate what one wants out of a programme, a school, a city etc. Since he lives in London, Western having a strong programme in addition to the possibility of living at home is a win win situation. Save your money for graduate studies at a top school.

Sep 27, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #41 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skipinder
eek.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

U of T is highly over-rated, and you will hate the university after a year at most. I do not know a single U of T graduate who is happy with their experience there. Stay away from them in undergraduate studies.

McMaster is not, I repeat, NOT an engineering school, they're more for business & science, their engineering faculty is average at best, mediocre would be a more accurate assessment. When their cut-off mark for engineering is under 80%, that tells you something.

For EE, Waterloo & Queens are the ones to shoot for, very hard to get in and a brutal fail rate once you do, but if you make it it's more than worth it.

Sep 27, 2005 at 4:33 PM Post #43 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Whoa there! Firstly it depends greatly on the type of engineering. UWO actually has a very very good EE programme, one of the best in the country and much stronger than McMaster. The best EE programme right now is Queen's, then closely followed by Waterloo then UBC then Toronto and Western. It helps to indicate what one wants out of a programme, a school, a city etc. Since he lives in London, Western having a strong programme in addition to the possibility of living at home is a win win situation. Save your money for graduate studies at a top school.

I said IMO UWO isn't a good engineering school, I don't like it to much, but the combined degrees are a good idea. I recommended Mcmaster because he wanted to stay in London and Hamilton is pretty close. Its true that Mcmaster is not a good Engineering school, but I went here for the program. I'm told they have a strong Mechanical engineering program though. I want to be a biomedical engineer and there are only 2 schools in Ontario (that I am aware of anyway) that offer biomedical engineering are Mcmaster and Toronto, didn't want to go to Toronto, so I went to Mcmaster
smily_headphones1.gif

Queens is hard to get in? They accepted me and my marks weren't that great.

Sep 27, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #44 of 64
Well, I graduated from Mohawk College. The course that I took was called:

"Computer Science Technician - Networking and Hardware"

However, I had to make up one of my courses and sort of forgot to send in the exemption forms for a couple years... not that any of my employers checked anyways. So when I finally got around to doing that, the program that I actually graduated from was called:

"Computer Systems Technician - Network Systems"

I'm already thinking about changing careers though. I'm pretty good at my job, but it doesn't really interest me any more. Who says you need to be 40 to have a midlife crisis? I'm having mine at 25 it seems.
frown.gif

Sep 27, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #45 of 64
Graduated from Carleton U - BA Economics minor in Business

Way to go Last Chance U!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back