Can you handle the Beast! Introducing the iDSD Diablo 2!!
Dec 24, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #181 of 263
During the last few days, I was somewhat annoyed with the whine that the iFi showed when connected to the usb port of the macbook... a whine that disappeared completely when connected to the SE300 —a pairing that, by the way, sounds excellent: with the DIABLO 2, the SE300 acquires the taste of a Pesquera red wine, while, without it, it is more Muga, both being, as we know, good wines. So, to secure my impression that the iFi did not isolate as much as expected, perhaps naively, I put a pair of JitterBug in parallel —yes I know, snake oil. A tweak, since the Macbook ports are usb-c. But a fix that, as I supposed, would allow me, at least, to intuit where the shots could go. The result: end of whining (or almost). The sound is not so shaky nor the scene so hollowed out. The bass also acquires greater definition. The sound now delivered by the imp is clean bordering on unobjectionable. It does not reach the black background of HUGO 2. But, in exchange, the performers come alive. The music is no longer sculpted on Carrara marble, which is not strictly a flaw either. Actually, I'm a fan of the HUGO 2.

Apart from the power —which is more than enough for a portable... as was the case of the OG—, this DIABLO 2 offers, without a doubt, a very good sound. Taking advantage of these days, I've been listening to it for many hours —some while working, others simply for listening to music, and most of them, especially at night, in critical listening mode—, and I'm more and more convinced... being aware of its "limits", which have nothing to do with power —obviously—, but with a profile that, I would say, accentuates the bright end of the notes. In fact, not that it is properly a limit. But I am aware that some may not like this accent.

In this sense, the OG is closer to "neutrality", giving you, by the way, the feeling that the notes finish whole. The D2 doesn't finish them, but it does let them float. Hence it produces the impression of greater depth or air. This effect is clearly perceived, for example, listening to the recording by Rinaldo Alessandrini and his troupe of the second book of Luca Marenzio's Madrigals —here—: you can even effortlessly hear the subtle acoustics of the hall... which was difficult to perceive with the OG. At first —and not only with this disc— I thought it was an effect that added the D2 —and hence my suspicion that the iFi guys were sneaking you an EQ between watts.... But this is not noticeable with pop music, which is usually recorded in a studio. And so I deduce that the D2 translates the ambience better... which does not exclude, however, that there is a minimum of EQ involved. Or at least, the impression is still there...

I also believe that, in the D2, the resolution is higher, although the difference is not abysmal with respect to the OG. Let's not exaggerate either. However, what is certain is that the timbral nuances and those related to the attack of the strings or the keys are shown more clearly. For example, Joel Frederiksen's lute —here— is more lute and less guitar, plucking included. In parallel, I get the impression that the dynamic contrasts are delivered with a bit more edge.

Dec 24, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #182 of 263
Hm. I have both here, the Diablo and Diablo 2 as well as the Expanse and I can not reproduce the issue you shortly described. Or maybe it kicks in far beyond normal hearing level.
But what I can say is that I can not hear very loughtly with the Expanse, because both Diablos are getting shrill and exhausting. Which is usually the case when the amp does not have enough power. I assume that this is a sign that both Diablos does not deliver the ~5W but far less. I can set my D90SE + ifi Pro iCan Sig to the same db volume (Measured with a sound pressure meter) and the same song sounds much more pleasant on the desktop stack. Sure sure, apple vs pears, but just saying.
I had the same hearing experience with the Fiio Q7, which should have 3W on paper. But the Q7 was a bit less engaging compared to the Diablos. With low and medium hearing level, I like the Diablos more compared to the Q7 from Fiio.

Since I owned every ifi micro iDSD device in the past years (exept the Diablo X, which was an absolutely unnecessary product?), I had the hope that the Diablo 2 is a step up in sound quality and power deliverey. But unfortunatly this is not the case. It sounds the same or almost (maybe a bit more resolving) the same as the original Diablo. Is this bad? I do not think so, I really like the Diablo and for me it is still one of the best (or maybe the best?) portable DAC/Amp device out there. And the Diablo 2 is a smart improvement with features I was missing a lot on the original Diablo. I like the Bluetooth option, the integrated IEmatch (I used an external ifi 4.4 IEmatch with the original Diablo when using IEMs), volumen knob lock, USB-C for data and charging and the desktop mode. It is not mentioned by ifi as far as I know, but ifi improved the annoying channel imbalance with the volumen knob. I do not say it is completly gone, but much better and no problem in daily usage anymore. At the end it is a clever further development, but not the jack-of-all-trades (I used Google translate here, in Germany we call it "Eierlegende Wollmilchsau") that many fans were waiting for. Is the Diablo 2 worth the extra 300€? Due to all the additional improvements and added features, I would say yes. But if we are honest, both Diablos are just to expensive for what they are. I would see the original Diablo at around 749€-799€ and the Diablo 2 at around 899€-949€.

PS: ifi, I still miss the Xbass, even if I do not need it for my Expanse and Tia Trio :D But your Xbass is a killer feature in many of your products and the community like the feature a lot :)
I also own both Diablo... and my impression is that they don't sound exactly the same, both being very good: the D2, as you say, offers a tip of resolution not found in the OG. However, I would say that the soundstage is more holographic, adding more air between instruments. I also think the D2 translates textures and microdynamics better. I find this to be the case, to the point that I suspect the D2 is "equalized"... as if it somehow includes 3D and xbass on the back burner. All in all, I imagine that the differences between the two will be more or less noticeable depending on the music one usually listens to, classical in my case. IMO, of course...:wink:

Dec 25, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #183 of 263
Do you guys perceive any difference in the way it sounds when used with line out as a DAC only? Because for sure the electronics is certainly a bit different between D1 and D2 after the DAC on the amp side.

Dec 25, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #184 of 263
Do you guys perceive any difference in the way it sounds when used with line out as a DAC only? Because for sure the electronics is certainly a bit different between D1 and D2 after the DAC on the amp side.
I have not compared them both using them only as DAC. I will do it during these next days (and I will tell you about it). In fact, the differences between the D2 and the OG that I was referring to before were appreciated with the line output of the A&K SE300, as I can't use the OG through the usb-A port... as it came loose after connecting it to the PC with the stock cable, after a year of use —that's why I went for the D2, as it has a usb-C port... Maybe because I bought the OG second hand at a knockdown price.... In any case, the usb-A of the OG always seemed to me a bad idea... (although I don't know if, electronically, it's preferable to a usb-C).

Dec 27, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #185 of 263
I reviewed the iFi Diablo 2 using hifiman he-6se v2, and can confirm it has enough power to drive one of the hardest to drive headphones in existence. Also I reviewed it with the Abyss Diana MR as well! The addition of IE match is a welcome addition for more usable range for IEM (original was literally to powerful for most IEM to play on it at reasonable volume)

Dec 28, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #186 of 263
I reviewed the iFi Diablo 2 using hifiman he-6se v2, and can confirm it has enough power to drive one of the hardest to drive headphones in existence. Also I reviewed it with the Abyss Diana MR as well! The addition of IE match is a welcome addition for more usable range for IEM (original was literally to powerful for most IEM to play on it at reasonable volume)

Thank you for the review! I will pass this along to the folks at the main HQ! :L3000:

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 29, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #187 of 263
In my opinion, the synergy of the HEDD with the DIABLO 2 is absolute. Very surprising (and rewarding).

Dec 31, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #188 of 263
I just wanted to take a moment to wish everyone a Happy New Year!

Thank you from iFi for all the support! We have had a great year and appreciate this community's support! Stay tuned folks, new products are right around the bend, and our goal of making great audio products for every budget and need continues to grow! Keep your ears open!

Cheers, and Thank you for a great 2023!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 1, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #189 of 263
I just wanted to take a moment to wish everyone a Happy New Year!

Thank you from iFi for all the support! We have had a great year and appreciate this community's support! Stay tuned folks, new products are right around the bend, and our goal of making great audio products for every budget and need continues to grow! Keep your ears open!

Cheers, and Thank you for a great 2023!
Yes, finally a transportable R2R DAC is right around the corner! 😁. Happy new years to iFi.

Jan 7, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #193 of 263
My review of the Diablo 2 is up:

How did your earlier testing of the Diablo not determine the power issue that you discussed for the first half the Diablo 2 video ?

You stated 5 watts continuous near the start, made general references to 5 watts several times and stated that the balanced output was twice as powerful as the single ended. Now it seems none of those things is correct yet you had the testing equipment right there on the desk in the review video.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #194 of 263
How did your earlier testing of the Diablo not determine the power issue that you discussed for the first half the Diablo 2 video ?

You stated 5 watts continuous near the start, made general references to 5 watts several times and stated that the balanced output was twice as powerful as the single ended. Now it seems none of those things is correct yet you had the testing equipment right there on the desk in the review video.

At the time of filming the original idsd lineup review I didn't have a dummy load so wasn't able to do power testing yet.

Jan 7, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #195 of 263
My review of the Diablo 2 is up:

Hope this video set an example for companies to not mislead consumers, thanks GoldenSound for bringing this up, and I hope similars tests are done by other folks (with necessary equiments) with other audio products (from other conpanies too), this is only good for us consumers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back