Can you compare a PC to a $1500+ cd-player ?
Feb 22, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #16 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by lcrim
Reading a digital signal from a hard drive is inherently quite a bit superior to reading from an optical disk.

Yeah, I know, by "work just as well" I meant in that it would also be pretty high quality. Maybe not quite as good because of inferior transport, jitter, and whatnot, but still very good.

From what he said I'm not sure he wants to deal with a computer. If he doesn't, either a standalone cd player or a cd transport/dac would do him best. I'm not entirely on top of this segment, so I'm not sure which of those would be a better option at this pricepoint.

Feb 22, 2005 at 10:08 PM Post #17 of 72
Good SQ can be had from both paths at that price point. I think the main decision really is about the interface. Its a pretty big change going from swapping discs to using playlists. Not to mention you will need a mouse, kb and monitor to access your files. That may not be convinient for your setup so you really have to decide what makes the most sense. You don't want to invest in a system that you won't enjoy using.

That being said, I think PC is the way to go. If you already have a decent PC to use, then I say go for the Lynx Card. Its supposedly head and shoulders above all other cards at the moment. http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/v...ic.php?t=15994

Feb 22, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #18 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by recca
That being said, I think PC is the way to go. If you already have a decent PC to use, then I say go for the Lynx Card. Its supposedly head and shoulders above all other cards at the moment. http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/v...ic.php?t=15994

But is it better than an external DAC? For $1,500 you can get a nice DAC, a bit-perfect low jitter soundcard to go with it, AND a HDD or two to store your rips. So, he has enough money to go either way. Has anyone actually compared products like the Benchmark and Bel-Canto to the Lynx?

Feb 22, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #19 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by IstariAsuka
Has anyone actually compared products like the Benchmark and Bel-Canto to the Lynx?

Not really.

Unfortunately the Lynx card vs. "Component X" comparisons are very small in number. I plan on buying a Lynx TWO-B eventually, and comparing it to my modded E-MU 1212m, but I don't have a DAC to compare it to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcrim
Reading a digital signal from a hard drive is inherently quite a bit superior to reading from an optical disk.

Yeah, but you had to read it from an optical drive (i.e. burning it with EAC) to get it onto the hard drive. So what you said is a moot point, isn't it?
blink.gif

Feb 22, 2005 at 11:32 PM Post #20 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
Yeah, but you had to read it from an optical drive (i.e. burning it with EAC) to get it onto the hard drive. So what you said is a moot point, isn't it?
blink.gif

EAC uses error correction while saving the music to your hard drive. The resulting files should be of better quality than on the CD. The quality of the disks that most commercial music is recorded on is poor. You may get better results copying the disc using EAC.

Feb 22, 2005 at 11:34 PM Post #21 of 72
Quote:

EAC uses error correction while saving the music to your hard drive. The resulting files should be of better quality than on the CD. The quality of the disks that most commercial music is recorded on is poor. You may get better results copying the disc using EAC.

HMmm. This is interesting, because I commented in another thread that in some cases I prefer the sound of the cd from the drive to the sound of an EAC'd .wav file.

Feb 22, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #22 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by IstariAsuka
But is it better than an external DAC? For $1,500 you can get a nice DAC, a bit-perfect low jitter soundcard to go with it, AND a HDD or two to store your rips. So, he has enough money to go either way. Has anyone actually compared products like the Benchmark and Bel-Canto to the Lynx?

I don't see why not. I think as a DAC itself the Lynx is probably excellent. Plus you don't have to deal with jitter induced from SPDIF transmission / reception so it will have a better signal to deal with. You could spend the money to get some custom cables built to interface with your preamp.

PC-> Lynx2 -> IC -> Amp

PC-> EMU xxxx-> Digital Cable -> DAC -> IC -> Amp

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that there's no way a seperate DAC couldn't be better, I just think that the Lynx probably won't dissapoint.

FWIW - I just upgraded from a AV710 to a 1212m and it was a pretty huge difference. I can imagine that the Lynx sounds way better!

Feb 22, 2005 at 11:39 PM Post #23 of 72
Quote:

HMmm. This is interesting, because I commented in another thread that in some cases I prefer the sound of the cd from the drive to the sound of an EAC'd .wav file.

I've always preferred the WAV. I guess different strokes. . .

Feb 22, 2005 at 11:45 PM Post #24 of 72
Quote:

I've always preferred the WAV. I guess different strokes. . .

Could you describe the differences you heard? I seem to remember the Wav sounding less dynamic, more "lifeless."

Then again, perhaps my system has that signature to it, and the Wav files are simply more transparent. hmmm

Feb 22, 2005 at 11:52 PM Post #25 of 72
I would say more transparent and more direct. Sometimes I felt as if images weren't as deep with the WAV files, but the tonality was better and a little more detailed.

BTW - Are playing talking about your CD-Rom drive or a standalone CDP?

Feb 23, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #26 of 72
Quote:

I would say more transparent and more direct. Sometimes I felt as if images weren't as deep with the WAV files, but the tonality was better and a little more detailed.

BTW - Are playing talking about your CD-Rom drive or a standalone CDP?

Cd drive... Plextor 708A

Feb 23, 2005 at 1:47 AM Post #27 of 72
At this budget of 1000-2000, I also recommend external DAC.

I wouldn't consider any internal soundcard as truly high performance. Lynx2 or not
tongue.gif

Feb 23, 2005 at 1:53 AM Post #28 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
At this budget of 1000-2000, I also recommend external DAC.

I wouldn't consider any internal soundcard as truly high performance. Lynx2 or not
tongue.gif

Can't knock it til you've tried it, I say.

Feb 23, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #29 of 72
PC sound cards has gotten a lot better than it used to be since the mid 90's, but still no match for high-end separates due to the amount of electrical noise/interference from within the PC, the power supply is also not up to that of well designed hifi separates.

For a $1500 CD player you will require high end amplifier and speakers costing around as much each in addition to high end $100+ interconnects andtop class speaker wires to bring the true potential out of the setup, not cheap.

Feb 23, 2005 at 2:28 AM Post #30 of 72
Quote:

Can't knock it til you've tried it, I say.

I never bothered with higher priced RME and Lynx because the switching power supply handicaps any internal soundcard. And since I'm a big believer in power quality, that is just a turnoff for me.

I've run my emu on internal PC power, linear power supply and battery now and the internal PC power is just the worst of the 3. Not even close.

Also using the Headroom Overture DAC. which is same DAC chip as on 1212m/1820m, I can finally hear this chip cleanly on battery power or a linear one. So in my experience, PCI cards are handicapped by lesser quality power and this is noticible even with using upgrade caps on my emus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back