Can we save my boards?
Nov 26, 2008 at 3:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

cobaltmute

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay, in a fit of whatever, I decided to order my PCBs before running them by the peer review that could happen here.

However, it turns out I've been caught by something that I didn't expect. I had to setup the PCM2707 on my board. So I selected my footprint TQFP-32 from the available footprints and laid out and order my boards. Now I go to solder my PCM2707 onto the board and find out it doesn't fit. Turns out there is an issue in the master database and what was listed as TQFP-32 was mapped into a TSQFP-32. Slight size difference there.

So is there anything I can do aside from some creative point to point wiring?

Picture of the board is here:
pup1r1pcbfrontdx2.jpg

Nov 26, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 12
You might be able to find an adapter to do what you want. Aries is the big name in that world. I don't recall anything from BrownDog that's suitable. You might be forced to mount those caps on the underside to make this all work.

Nov 26, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 12
While it sucks to make a panel full of 17 coasters, I've got to balance the costs of adapters versus just re-running the boards.

I've already got my r2 version ready with the right package.

It just sucks that the package definition in Multisim was wrong in the master database. Every TSQFP is mapped to TSQFP.

Nov 26, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #6 of 12
I've redesigned the boards already.

I'm going to get a quote this time from Imagineering. For me Gold Phoenix had the advantage that they have a panel special on for cheap when I order these. I got 17 boards for less than what Imagineering was quoting for 10.

Nov 27, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #9 of 12
The database you refer to, is that supplied by the company who makes the pcb for you?
Do you use thier(the co. making the pcb for you) software to design the pcb?

Nov 27, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #10 of 12
No. National Instruments Electronics Workbench - Multisim and Ultiboard. Ultiboard has the TQFP32 footprint. In Multisim, I selected TQFP32 as the footprint but if you actually look at it says many columns over that it will use Ultiboard footprint TSQFP-32. This is the provided Master DB which cannot be edited.

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #11 of 12
Sorry to hear about the messup, I'm sure this is a lession well learned. A couple of things I do before I make any board order, is to use a Gerber file viewer program and examine each layer carefully, and to print a 1:1 copy of the board on paper and actually place the parts on it to make sure they fit as intended. Even with that, occasionally I still goofed. One cannot be careful enough.

Nov 27, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #12 of 12
The worst bit was that I was going to print it out and do the check as you say, but I got impatient and just wanted to get going on it.

Not going to make that mistake the second time. I'v got 17 nice blue bords to look at the layout now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back