Can the Zune80 HDD be transplanted into the Zune30?
Jan 22, 2010 at 4:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Hanafuda

500+ Head-Fier
My old Zune 30 still works like a charm, though I do wish for more capacity.

My 17 yr old son's Zune 80 has a busted screen & a non-functional lock slider. The display is totally dead, not cost effective to repair, but he says the Zune 80 still 'works.' Since he got a Cowon S9 for Christmas, he has handed the old man his broken junk.

Will the hdd from the Zune 80 drop in the Zune 30 and work???? I'm not ready to update my portable source right now - I'm in RSA Hornet save-up phase. A cost-free capacity upgrade would be awesome.

Jan 22, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #2 of 4
Well, looks like the answer is no. I went ahead and tried it .. but with the Z80 hdd the Zune would only power up to screen #3, "Please wait." No attempt to format the drive and proceed with the restore process.

SO looks like I've got a Zune80 hdd for sale.
wink.gif
Anybody got a spare cmoybb 2.02 for trade?

Jan 22, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #3 of 4
To me, looks like the hard drive is broken in the first place.
did you test it in the Zune80 before trying to do the transplant?

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me, looks like the hard drive is broken in the first place.
did you test it in the Zune80 before trying to do the transplant?

yup. I also later found mention of this on the rapidrepair.com forums. Justin also says the Zune80 hdd won't work in the Z30. The ZIF socket is the right size, but the drive is still not compatible. I have no idea why, perhaps its the "pinout" lineupon the cable. But whatever the reason, with the original Zune80 hdd in the Zune30, it just stays stuck on "#3 Please wait."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back