Can the W2 be EQed to have bass like the W3?
Oct 6, 2011 at 7:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Carsonwen

Head-Fier
I purchased the W2's recently and i am wondering if it is possible to use eq to boost the bass till it is like the W3. i have the fiio E6 amp but it cannot boost the bass too much. If it is possible, i will purchase an eq.  thx

Oct 6, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 15
No, it cannot.  It is meant to be more polite and neutral.  The bass driver will distort.  You can add some bass but W2 will never have the underlying "fullness" that makes W3 so special. 

Oct 6, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 15
Yeah, I agree. I like the W2 a ton, but its bass is already a little "floppy" in comparison to some other iems. By amping, with EQ you can stretch the bass but you are more spreading than giving it more impact. You can't get something that's not there. In general, never expect an amp to change an iem from one to another. IMO, just go for the iem you want!

Quote:
No, it cannot.  It is meant to be more polite and neutral.  The bass driver will distort.  You can add some bass but W2 will never have the underlying "fullness" that makes W3 so special. 

Oct 6, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 15
Yea, great point imackler.

Another way to phrase it is that the bass is the opposite of effortless, especially when EQ'ing.  It sounds like you are trying to squeeze every ounce of "oomph" out of the W2 which makes it sort of distracting.  Great sounding IEM but I prefer a slightly more robust sound.

Oct 6, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 15
X2 which is why I returned mine

Quote:
Yea, great point imackler.

Another way to phrase it is that the bass is the opposite of effortless, especially when EQ'ing.  It sounds like you are trying to squeeze every ounce of "oomph" out of the W2 which makes it sort of distracting.  Great sounding IEM but I prefer a slightly more robust sound.

Oct 6, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 15
If you want an earphone like the W3 bass you will need to buy something with more bass such as the W3. Also doing that much EQ to the W2 would certainly cause distortion and the W2 bass is not meant to be that kind of bass. 

Oct 7, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #7 of 15
That's primarily why I'm not AT ALL a fan of moderate to heavy EQ adjustments, because from my experience, MUCH more often than not, manipulating the intended earphone's sound signature doesn't come without it's sacrifices, in that the earphone no longer COMPLETELY retains it's technical proficiency, especially since you're, in a sense, asking the driver to perform in an entirely different manner than was intended. Just my 2 cents. 
smile.gif

P.S. You may want to consider an amp with a bass boost, which won't distort the sound nearly to the extent EQ changes will. The Zo is as good an option as any, and even while I'm typing this, I'm listening to my beloved RE252 with the Zo amp, and there's little to no appreciable loss in SQ. 
ksc75smile.gif

Oct 7, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #9 of 15
ive heard many reviews on how the W3 isnt as crystal clear and accurate as the W2, therefore, i will keep the W2. i use to own a ue 500 and loved the bass, would the W3 come close to the ue 500 in bass? Is W4 better than W3? I basically want a W2 with bass of ue500. Maybe the ue customs might have that but theyre a little pricey. thx

Oct 7, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #10 of 15
oh, and is shure se 425 better than w2? in bass and other things like clarity and overall sq? i chose the w2 over shure because of free amp but i am wondering if that was bad choice. thx guys for all the replies!

Oct 7, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #12 of 15
I don't know what the bass or anything about the UE500 sound as I have not heard it.

I consider the W2,W3 and W4 to all have different sound signatures. I think the W2 is the most neutral of the three with the W3 to have a more "fun" sound signature and what I would consider a bass monster esp the mid bass. I would consider the W4 to be that of a very smooth sound with good extension on both ends.

If you want W2 but just a bit more bass I think getting an amp with a bass boost or if you have access to a good EQ. However i do consider the W3 and W4 on a higher level than the W2 but the W3 is also more V shaped to me with it definiteyl having more bass than the other two.

Oct 7, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #14 of 15
I personally see the W4 as the successor to the W2. They are clearly from the same family. IMO, the W4 does bass, mids, treble and soundstage all better than the W2, while still maintaining that ability to do all genres justice, preserving that slightly warm sound and playing nicely with older recordings. The W2 is a great earphone. In my experience at its price point, I think its unmatched, though it sounds like the GR07 may beat it. I just haven't heard it yet. I think the W4 is better though than the W2. For me, W2 is the affordable option for those wanting what the W4 does well. It's the B+ version at $150 less than the A version.

I must say that for me the W2 is a little more comfortable since is smaller than the W4, though the W4 is very comfortable, too.

Oct 7, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #15 of 15
W4 is certainly more refined sounding but that "veil" is unacceptable to me.  I think W2 is much brighter and lively sounding.  They are pretty different IMHO.

Yes, UM2 will have more bass than W2 and W4 and very similar to UM3X. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back