Can the E9 compete with the 'big boy' entry-level amps ?
Apr 12, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #16 of 32

Quote:
Oh, I was speaking in general. Wasn't aimed at you directly.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thats odd - I got exactly the same response to another thread in 'Portable Sources'  .......  :)

I dont mind a bit of 'spirited discussion', as long as the opposing viewpoint contains something beyond emotion - its easy to become an evangelist for a product we like, but your post had the kind of specifics I'm looking for and I thank you for it.

Apr 12, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #17 of 32
Behold, E9 with RCA Line In:

This was made by Uncle Ken, godfather of Philippine Head Fi. :)

Anyway you can't compare the E9 to the P4. I have both and the P4 doesn't even compare. The definition in the mids is all in favor of the E9, and it's a lot more liquid as well. 

RCA cables vs RCA to Mini, come on it's very easy to just cut a cable you have and re-terminate it into a 20cm length. If you can't solder, lots of people have the ability to do it. But moot, MLE has posted an existing product.

Apr 12, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #18 of 32
Regarding the E9 compared to other amps, I currently have the E9 and the MP5 with me right now. The Mp5 was a $500 amp a few years ago. What I have is the revision with better internal parts and the American version tube sockets. I will say that the E9 holds against the MP5 very well. In fact I like the E9 better than the MP5 in many respect sonically.

Here's a quick write up I made some time back. BTW Mios = K701

M11x -> Winamp -> E7 DAC -> E7 Amp -> Mios
M11x -> Winamp -> E7 DAC -> E9 Amp -> Mios
M11x -> Winamp -> E7 DAC -> MP5 Amp -> Mios

This chain let me segregate the E9 amp so that I can see how it compares to the other amps I have on hand. With the E9's wealth of inputs and outputs, doing this was easy. As a bonus I also tried the HeadAmp4 which is a favorite for splitting the audio signal to 8 different headphones.

In general, the E9's amp section has a pretty neutral sound, but there is added body all around. The bass is tight and full, and doesn't sound anemic or boomy. The highs are sparkly and clear, and there is quite a bit of air in it as the highs do extend pretty well, not as well as the MP5 but but there isn't much roll off to my ears. 

The thing about the E7 is that it really can't drive the Mios properly. It gets loud enough, but the sound is kind of hard and crackly, and the bass is there but a messy muddy clump. The highs are a bit shrill and remind me of rasping glass. However out of the E9 the all of these problems disappear. Instead you get a very liquid mid-range which really brings out the Mio's strengths, as she is a very mid-focused can. 

Compared to the MP5, though, it is a very different story. Both the MP5 and the E9 have mid-focused sound, but the E9 is a more up-front kind of sound, compared to the MP5 which has a crystal and very airy character. The E9 sounds ever so slightly wetter than the MP5, and the MP5 overall has a slightly harder sound to it where as the E9 feels a bit smoother. It is this wet quality with a good amount of decay I believe that gives the E9 its liquid quality. Sounds just seem to flow one into another from its headphone out. 

I've been testing the E9 with more cans since then and I'm finding I prefer the E9 more and more to the MP5. Sure, the MP5 these days only costs about $200 compared to how much it was before, but the E9 is still like a $100 amp. It's amazing how well it does. I actually went and ordered some new tubes for my MP5 because I was no longer happy with how it sounded. I may end up selling it soon if I can't roll it into a sound that betters the E9. Funny though, the tubes I ordered cost more than the E9 itself.

Apr 12, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #19 of 32
Mochan,
Thanks for those impressions - and the pic of the RCA modded E9 - wish I had the tools and skills to do that to mine but I guess 3.5mm will do if I need it.

What I'd be interested in is comparrisons of different DACs and the E9 against the E7 - that's where I am pretty confident the weak link in my rig lies.

I'd be really grateful if anyone with acess to a few budget DACs and the E16 combo who could do some testing.

Apr 12, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #20 of 32
I've only done a test of the E7 vs. the uDac. Let me tell you the E7's DAC component was better to my ears. But I'll post that comparison later have to run to get to work.

Apr 12, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #21 of 32
EddieE,

There are a good selection of budget DAC comparisons on Headfonia.com. The E7 is reviewed along with the uDac, HRT MS2, Audinst HUD-MX1, Yulong U100, Musiland Monitor, etc. Reading other reviews and comparisons, the HRT MS2 seems to be almost unanimously the budget DAC champ (but I have to confess, I haven't had the opportunity to hear it for myself - I was hoping someone would have brought one at the London meet). Other than that, you are welcome to compare the E16 combo with my Nuforce HDP (unless you already did at the meet).

Apr 12, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #22 of 32
Type35,
I didn't have the chance to try out any DACs with my E9 at the meet - would have felt awkward asking people if I could dismantle other people's rigs 
smile.gif

Thanks for the tip on the HRT MS2, will keep that in mind when some budget resurfaces for me!

Apr 12, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #23 of 32

Quote:
EddieE,

There are a good selection of budget DAC comparisons on Headfonia.com. The E7 is reviewed along with the uDac, HRT MS2, Audinst HUD-MX1, Yulong U100, Musiland Monitor, etc. Reading other reviews and comparisons, the HRT MS2 seems to be almost unanimously the budget DAC champ (but I have to confess, I haven't had the opportunity to hear it for myself - I was hoping someone would have brought one at the London meet). Other than that, you are welcome to compare the E16 combo with my Nuforce HDP (unless you already did at the meet).

Yep, and when I posted words to that effect in a thread asking for comparisons with the uDAC2 and other budget amps, someone else responded that they had read reviews where the uDAC2 got the nod over the MSII - it never ends. Just find one you like and stick with it.

Apr 12, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #24 of 32
I'm going to most likely get the MSII+ for the Schiit Lyr until I see what dacs Schiit comes out with in the future. Then I will evenutally pair the MSII+ with the e9. I've never got a chance to demo the music streamers, the opinions by forum members are pretty mixed as far as the MSII goes, but most online reviews are quite strong. The guy on headfonia liked it more than the popular dacmagic so with that, it's very basic functionality and a good price point I'm pretty much set on it. i don't know how reputable the 6moons reviews are but the MSII+ also got a stellar review from them also. I want to eventually upgrade the e7 anyway.

Apr 12, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #25 of 32
All I can say is that it really does come down to your individual preferences - read some of the contrasting opinions on the Benchmark DAC1, long held as one of the most resolving DACs available for less than 2K. Some find it 'heaven on earth' with their high-end cans, others find it 'sterile' : I dont know of a single DAC that is all things to all people. The Grace M902 made a lot of folks very happy, but the long-awaited M903 seems to have surprised a few people and initial impressions havent been as favourable - perhaps it just takes time for man and machine to come to an understanding.

All I can say is that the base model MSII does some very good things with my music for very little money, but it wont suit those who want uber levels of detail.

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #26 of 32
Well I have the cheaper MS II DAC and all I can say is that I really love it. Better than my older udac 1 and compass DAC by a fair margin. I could barely differentiate between all my earlier budget DACs used - Hotaudio MKIV, Govibe DAC, uDAC 1 and Compass DAC. However the MS II is a noticeable step up from all the above mentioned DACs. Its a smidgen bit on the brighter side of neutral but the main difference was the soundstage performance. It was a bit wider and more defined than any of the previous DACs. Worth every penny I paid for it. I heard the udac 2 (never owned it so I had a short comparison only) and IMO the MS2 was a bit better, but the difference was smaller compared to the difference between the MS 2 and the udac 1.

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #27 of 32
brendon, if I had to describe the MSII in a word I would say 'effortless' - it lets me forget that I *have* a DAC. I had two significantly more expensive DAC/amps before that were both more technically 'ready' (optical and coax in as well as USB, toggles for bitrate/sample rate on the DAC) but both seemed to be working a little too hard - its one thing to upscale everything to 24/192, its another to find the result enjoyable. Maybe I just needed to spend a few hundred more on cables :)

Apr 13, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #28 of 32
^^ Yes thats the nice way to describe the sound of the MS2 and I wouldn't disagree with you there. :)

But cables ? Ah lets not get into that.
tongue.gif

Mar 15, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #29 of 32

What would you guys rather recommend for the AKG 701's, the E9 or the Asgard?

I'm leaning more towards the Asgard because it's backed by a 5 year warranty and aesthetics but I also understand the E9 is also very well built and about 100 bucks cheaper and if I decide to get the E9 i'll get the E7 to pair them up. BUT reading numerous reviews, many people had problems with their FiiO products, some faulty, some not working at all, etc... 

I'd love to save and get the E9 for the 701's but i'm just worried if some issue comes up, then I would have no problem spending the extra cash for the Asgard which I know is built to last.

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #30 of 32
I have had zero problems with my E9, and I've owned it for around 12 months (from memory). It sounds like you have already decided to buy the Asgard - do it, but be aware that Schiit amps run hot while the E9 is never even warm to the touch. Just something to keep in mind. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back