Can the AKG K701 do rock/metal?
Mar 13, 2007 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Cid

100+ Head-Fier
Just curious. Is the K701 alright with rock? They look like awesome cans! and hey the HD595's aren't cutting it for me so it's time to upgrade. I listen to uhm a lot of music.

Game Soundtracks, Jpop, Jrock, Anime soundtracks, Metal, Rock, Classical and probably some more I've forgot. So, yeah picking a headphone is always tricky for me.

Or would something else be better for my needs? Hey, aslong as it isn't a sennheiser, I'm listening.

Mar 13, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #2 of 45
They're decent for rock, but if you really want to rock out, grab a Grado. An RS-1 would be the ideal for rock, and roughly the same price used as a K701 new ($400-500). If you want to buy a new Grado for the price of a new K701, then you're looking more at the RS-2 or SR-325i, though I've heard the RS-2 deviates from the Grado house sound a bit, so you might be best off choosing between the SR-325i and the RS-1.

Mar 13, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're decent for rock, but if you really want to rock out, grab a Grado. An RS-1 would be the ideal for rock, and roughly the same price used as a K701 new ($400-500). If you want to buy a new Grado for the price of a new K701, then you're looking more at the RS-2 or SR-325i, though I've heard the RS-2 deviates from the Grado house sound a bit, so you might be best off choosing between the SR-325i and the RS-1.

Man, seems I can't escape Grado. I was hoping the K701 would be a great for all, headphone. It seems I'll need to buy different headphones for certain types of music? Damn, that's gonna get expensive. I don't even have a decent source or amp to go with all this either.

Mar 13, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 45
They are fine for rock, and certainly work well as a one headphone all arounder.

Yes, Grados are probably more exciting for rock music, but the K701 are DEFINITELY not bad at all. Because of comfort and soundstage I like them alot better for most rock anyways. They only lack a little with metal and electric guitar heavy stuff.

Mar 13, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #5 of 45
In my opinion, no, K701 and metal music are not very compatible. Grados may be the ideal choice (I use them with flats, I do not like them with bowls), but there are other interesting options like Beyers 990. It depends on your taste. K701s are aggresive enough, but the bass is not strong enough and the highs may result overpowering. I have found recordings in which cymbals drowned the guitars
wink.gif

Mar 13, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #6 of 45
The K701 is a great all-arounder, and they can do well by the sharp, thin production of death metal. But some listeners need that added bass punch, and these phones are freqently too accurate for that.

Mar 13, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #7 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosgp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my opinion, no, K701 and metal music are not very compatible. Grados may be the ideal choice (I use them with flats, I do not like them with bowls), but there are other interesting options like Beyers 990. It depends on your taste. K701s are aggresive enough, but the bass is not strong enough and the highs may result overpowering. I have found recordings in which cymbals drowned the guitars
wink.gif

Now those sound interesting. I'm guessing it's the 05 edition your talking about? Would a go-vibe be sufficient to drive them? Any idea where I could buy a pair that would ship to the UK?

EDIT: It might seem I'm being too hasty, but I'm not. I just want to check out all the options available to me.

Mar 13, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #8 of 45
They will work...

It's a good all around phone. Later, when you feel the need to part with money, you can get better
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 13, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #9 of 45
Yes they'll rock-out pretty hard. They need the right amplification/source to do so however (IMHO). Something bass heavy with forward mids. Millet hybrid for starters, and tube-roll to taste.

Mar 13, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #10 of 45
Either Alessandro, Grado SR-225 with flats (if you disliked sound with Bowl pads and/or have bright source), or Beyerdynamic DT990 '05. These are most common recommendations for Metal. Sony SA5000 is reported to be good too, but if you disliked Grado + Bowl pads already...

Mar 13, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, seems I can't escape Grado.

Don't even try, you just Can't
tongue.gif

Mar 13, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #12 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Either Alessandro, Grado SR-225 with flats (if you disliked sound with Bowl pads and/or have bright source), or Beyerdynamic DT990 '05. These are main recommendations when Metal is needed. Sony SA5000 is reported to be good too, but if you disliked Grado + Bowl pads already...

I haven't tried them yet. I'm just looking at all the options, especially with my huge range of music. In order to fund something further up the ladder like the DT990 '05 I need to sell my current headphones, but by doing so I also need to get an amp due to the impedance on the DT990's and to do that I'll most likely need to sell my guitar too.

Mar 13, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #13 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't tried them yet. I'm just looking at all the options, especially with my huge range of music. In order to fund something further up the ladder like the DT990 '05 I need to sell my current headphones, but by doing so I also need to get an amp due to the impedance on the DT990's and to do that I'll most likely need to sell my guitar too.

There is also 32ohm version available. Not so big hassle for amplifier as long as source is decent.

Mar 13, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #15 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can try the Grados but you might find them too grainy, highly distorted, and extremely bright. so also be prepared to resell them.

Thats the risk. But also thats the reason Alessandro line gets recommended. And so do Flat pads for Grado. Or warm source. Very warm tubeamp + Grado = Bliss!
rs1smile.gif

With every headphone that generally sounds good with metal, its common that they exhibit some rawness. DT990 has a spike in highs that is unbearable for some. Grados have very vibrant and spiky uppermids-lowerhighs, while lively, also sets some certain needs for the source and amp (if listeners ears wont like them as they are).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back