Can Someone briefly summarize the SP problems by model?
Aug 12, 2009 at 8:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Frihed89

1000+ Head-Fier
For many of US, it is not clear whether our SP head model is likely to have problems. Some models, like the Extreme, seem to share a common set of issue; also the electrostatic amps; and some Supras. But that still leaves, the PPX3 and MPX3. Admittedly, these came in many flavors and promised mods were not always installed.

But some MPX3 and PPX owners have panicked, and this may not be appropriate.

I wonder if members who have failed amps or Kevin Gilmore and other like him who have devoted so much to helping memmbers fix their broken SP amps can summarize briefly the problems to look for in the various models. Even a table would help: models in the columns, problems in the rows. Something like that.

Can anyone help?

Aug 12, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #2 of 6
Part of the trouble is that there are huge variations within models and many of them were customized. You're better off looking at each one as an individual rather than hoping a particular model to be OK because others similar to it are.

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #3 of 6
I have an SDS-XLR which works fine and has been for over 3 years but I have no idea if it's potentially dangerous or likely to fail.It's seems the only way is to open it up,take pics and post them here for others to view.

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Part of the trouble is that there are huge variations within models and many of them were customized. You're better off looking at each one as an individual rather than hoping a particular model to be OK because others similar to it are.

Yup, herein lies the great headache. Even though many amps are referred to as the same model the internal differences can be substantial. It's a can of worms, that much is clear.

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #5 of 6
Here's what I do know, from my personal experience:

1. My Extreme was in the process of burning up it's transformer

2. My MPX3's tranny was running so hot that it could not be touched for more than a second or two - so it too was slowly cooking.

At least one of the most critical issues is if your transformer runs too hot too touch, you have a problem.

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an SDS-XLR which works fine and has been for over 3 years but I have no idea if it's potentially dangerous or likely to fail.It's seems the only way is to open it up,take pics and post them here for others to view.

Given Voltron's unit I'd take a look at the filament transformer first. His was way under spec...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back