Can playing an instrument damage your hearing?
Mar 9, 2008 at 10:00 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are some effective violin mutes that are great for practising. I always used the rubber type as they're light and don't mute the sound too much. The metal ones mute more - handy if you have irritable neighbours.

That's a good suggestion. I would avoid using the very heavy metal ones that cover the whole bridge as 1) it puts unnecessary strain on the bridge and 2) it gets in the way of playing. A bog standard Tourte will do.

Quote:

Can't say I ever had the problem with ringing ears though.

I guess it depends how loud your violin is but I reckon what really matters iss how close your left ears is to the soundbox. Some people like to lie on their violins with the side of the face almost flat on the violin. Now that's a recipe for getting tinnitus.
wink.gif

It's generally unnecessary to play at full volume whilst practising anyway. I find it a total waste of energy and not particularly beneficial, unless of course you're practising tone power.

Mar 9, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #17 of 23
the violin/viola is one of the most unhealthy instruments out there. then there is the oboe of course ... just imagine you playing an instrument and you'll easily find out that there are some weak points. you just have to think.
drumming may result in hearing loss and crippled hands.

for example, if you play a classical guitar with a footstool for a long time, your spine will get a bump to the right. but you can always use an alternative that you can put between the instrument and your left leg. ...

Mar 9, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's generally unnecessary to play at full volume whilst practising anyway. I find it a total waste of energy and not particularly beneficial, unless of course you're practising tone power.

Haha good point, I hadn't thought of that. Sometimes I just get carried away and play out a lot (Mendelssohn violin concerto). I guess I'll quiet down unless I'm performing from now on. Might see about getting some Ety ear plugs...

Mar 9, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #19 of 23
Volume multiplied by time of exposure= risk of damage.

It would not surprise me to find that violinists had frequency drop out in the ear closest to the instrument and in line with the main frequencies produced.

My youngest son has played drums since age 8 and electric guitar since age 11.

He has always used ear defenders or HD280 pros when drumming along to music tracks and he does the same for his guitars.

Tinnitus is your brains way of telling you that you are causing damage.

My advice to anyone who can listen is this, always protect your hearing by reducing the volume or the time of exposure. These Ety inserts sound like a great way of protecting your sense of hearing.

Mar 9, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinus1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the violin/viola is one of the most unhealthy instruments out there. then there is the oboe of course ... just imagine you playing an instrument and you'll easily find out that there are some weak points. you just have to think.
drumming may result in hearing loss and crippled hands.

for example, if you play a classical guitar with a footstool for a long time, your spine will get a bump to the right. but you can always use an alternative that you can put between the instrument and your left leg. ...

****. I play tuba/sousaphone, guitar, trombone and am starting drums. What will I look like in 10 years?

Mar 9, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #21 of 23
There are some really bad habits that musicians can develop imo with headphones.

a) Try to reproduce the volume that you hear live on your instrument through headphones.
b) Musicians tend to listen to themselves louder than other people on headphones and I don't know why!!

Ian

Mar 9, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinus1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
then there is the oboe of course

My bassoon teacher told me that oboe players actually have a shorter life span because they build up so much pressure inside themselves while playing.

I never get ringing from playing the bassoon, but the stupid brass section always kill my ears in ensembles
mad.gif

Mar 10, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #23 of 23
And to think I was supposed to be an oboe player.

I played clarinet/sax/mellophone/various other stuff up to college and a tiny bit into professional life, and was a classically trained singer into college with a tiny bit of professional life, and my ears got through it alright.

I think it was in spite of, not because of, the abuse. I remember when the score order for practicing marching band stuff would have the drummers behind the clarinets. There were rimshots that would make your eyes water, but I seem to be ok. I confirmed that when I got the Sensas, as a hearing test was sort of thrown in.

It's dangerous to the hearing, but what can you do? Some of the best music out there came from someone who had not much hearing left - and I'd rather make music than listen to it.

But I agree with the basic idea that the little engine in your ear doesn't know if a cement drill made it hurt, or a violin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back