Can i get lineout from 1G ipod?
Nov 11, 2005 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

eduj

1000+ Head-Fier
I love my oldschool ipod (first gen 10 G) and use it with a Sony 7506 (very easy to drive cans).I m thinking about getting a better headphone but can i get a line out from the 1G ipod?It only has a firewire and a headout.If yes i ll get an amp and some harder-to-drive cans.If not i ll go for some Grado 225 for example as i love the grado sound and they generally sound nice out of portables.I listen mainly to rock
basshead.gif

Nov 11, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 7
New Old School baby...

grado-ipod.jpg

No, you can't get a true line-out, but the 1G volume at 100% approximates a line out signal. I wouldn't let it get in your way. I used it with a variety of phones and a couple amps. The 1G was more dynamic than current iPods. A little more alive, but a little brighter. Trade-offs.

Nov 11, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #3 of 7
Lovely pic blessingx
rs1smile.gif
.Oldschooler ipod+grado.Since you have experience can you suggest some cans that worked well unamped?and did the amp helped?

Nov 11, 2005 at 2:13 AM Post #4 of 7
It's been a while and my sonic tastes were far different then. For instance I perferred Grado over Senn by a long shot and that's reversed itself. On the Grado side I tried SR80, MS1 and SR225 and all the way up their advantages shown even ampless, but I'm not sure the price/performance was there for the top without an amp. I had a Meta42 amp at the time and paired nicely with the cans. I tried a pair of HD580 and thought they were lifeless. Part of that what my preferences, but the other part is you do really need a stronger amp than I had. A lot that people claim can power the Senns I disagree with. Plus even the 1G is laid back and a laid back source and laid back phones may not be the best match (espeically with an underpowered amp
wink.gif
).

Otherwise (and not sure with your music preferences) I think the AT A900s are a great closed phone with the iPod (amped or unamped).. though very different than the Grado sound. The Sony SA5000 is probably also worth looking into ampless, but I'm always nervous about Sony highs after the V6 and CD3000.

And I think every iPod owner should have a pair of Koss KSC75/35/PortaPros (with foam punched) around. I had the V6s twice (as you probably know the sister to yours) and even the $20 KSC75 is a step up (though open so different purpose).

Nov 11, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanx for the info
smily_headphones1.gif

Im familiar with Grados and Senns and i prefer Grados.Much better for rock.The downside is that the plastic ones look crappy (dork factor)
I ve never heard a AT can and they look big-not very mobile (again dork factor here)
I think ill go for a grado (for in house) and a canalphone when out

Nov 11, 2005 at 10:55 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by eduj
I ve never heard a AT can and they look big-not very mobile (again dork factor here)

They're very not very mobile.
wink.gif

Nov 12, 2005 at 7:08 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by eduj

Audio-Techica makes a wide range of headphones. The A and AD Series are large and not intended for mobile use, but that doesn't mean they can't be used on the move.
icon10.gif
One downside to them is that you can't hang them around your neck.

The ATH-EC7, ATH-CM7ti, ATH-EW9, ATH-ES5, and newer ATH-ES7 as well as various other clip-ons and earbuds are all designed for mobile use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back