Can-con 2 (Sydney 2012) Meet Aug 18th 3:30 to 8:30pm (near Epping station)
May 5, 2012 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 421

svyr

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello everyone,

Paul asked me to co-organize a new meet for this year.
The previous meet was under http://www.head-fi.org/t/549400/can-con-sydney-meet-10-07-unique-melody-i-enjoy-com-au-jaben-australia-twisted-cables-krispy-kables-to-join-us-major-prize-giveaway-by-jaben-aus /
He'll be busy with a baby Jun-Jul (and possibly August). I'll be busy falling apart as usual, but hey, why not.

A meet is a nice chance for people to exchange impressions, sample new and old gear and maybe buy or sell gear.

Here are the meet details so far:

a) Meet Aug 18th 3:30 to 8:30pm

b) The venue is near Epping station, details available upon registration (a few days before the meet).

c) As to the rules, we will be making announcements soon.

d) I assume the conditions will be the same as last time - (see the start of the post for the old meet link) - incl similar fees for vendors ($20) and regular attendees ($10-15).

e) post the gear you might bring (IEMs, full size cans, amps, dacs, electrostatics, etc).

f) Depending on how you get to the place (not sure how applicable this is before we determine the venue, but some people brought large amps, so it still is), and how much you want to help us have a larger meet with more gear, you may volunteer yourself for car pooling (state the area you're in)

g) The format will probably be similar to the one last year. (subject to change)
The Set up.
Registeration.
Vendor presentation ( introduction (who they are, what goods or services they are involved with, feature product introduction/demonstration). ( I particularly loved Uniques Melody's table drape with their name and logo and it would be good and very professional if the vendors could organise one themselves).
Free time.
Draw. (prize if any available).
Free time.
Pack up.
Clean.

The preliminary rules are:

1. I'll contact the pre-registered attendees to get the Name, Address, Email, Contact number on Tue before the Meet, and when provided will respond with the venue details.

2. At the meet, you would be required to provide a valid photo id when registering at the registration table. Your valid photo id will be cross checked with the details provided prior to the meet. (the info aside from your name and forum id will be burnt within a few days of the meet). For vendors - you can give them your details if you wish separately?

3. You should bring an extension cord or power board if you can (along with other cables necessary for your setup)

4. Please be careful and respect other member`s properties, ask before you pull a phone out of a plug – some amps if they are not powered down before inserting or pulling out a jack have the potential to blow. Again be very careful.

5. Be on the watch out for power cords and headphone cable on the floor and tables, you can easily knock over equipment, or hurt yourself – if this is your first meet be weary the floor will be littered with cable.

6. Please restrict consumption of food or drinks to the designated place ONLY and place all rubbish in the plastic bags provided. PLEASE also wash your hands if it is dirty before touching anything.

7. No wet hair, or put anything in their hair at all (e.g. wax, gel, mousse etc) (Will be refused entry). Strong aftershave or deodorant are also not good. Also, clean in and around your ears. Nobody wants their cans covered with earwax.

8. No need to panic or spoil the mood (it's unlikely I'll run off with your 10kg amp) - but leaving keys, wallets or expensive IEMs unattended might not be a good idea

9. You must wear the name tag at all times.

May 5, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #2 of 421

Potential attendee list:

People: (some are TBC)
a_recording, abee, alex699, AudioApirant, AyeCee (maybe), Caution, drez, Errymoose, Golotripa, GhosT98, Grant625, humourless, hpz, iamthem, ikhuong, mrAdrian, mitos, monkee, nattonrice, navii (maybe), pigwave, pkwak, rzy6cn(maybe),sandalaudio, scratchy, sjay, svyr, syfjhz22, Timmyw, TnTMaN, wink, zowki, ztick

Vendors:
Addicted To Audio
Good Times (Krispy Kables) (Narrabeen)
qusp
Unique Melody Australia unfortunately not.
Lillee - AMP + IEM vendor - bringing 'secret' hybrid IEMs :wink:

You will possibly see the following gear: (PM to confirm if you really want to see something)

DACs/Amps/Transports
ADL Esprit headphone amp/dac (Good Times)
ADL Stride portable dac/amp (Good Times)
Arcam CD23T.(Errymoose)
AudioGD NFB-10 SE, Reference 7.1, Master 6 (pre/hp) - drez
Aurender S10 digital transport (Good Times)
Audinst-mx1 DAC/Amp (cwon6239)
Audiophilleo 2(Caution)
Benchmark DAC1 (syfjhz22 - ask)
Burson HA-160DS(Grant625)
Cambridge DacMagic(navii)
Cambridge Audio DACMagic (Timmyw)
C.E.C HD53N (syfjhz22 - ask)
CF mod iHP132 (qusp)
CAL! (iamthem)
CLAS + Arrow 2g (Timmyw)
DV 336 (mrAdrian)
DIY ESS dacs including a pretty special ackodac and the portable (qusp)
DIY(?) ESS 9018 Buffalo32s DAC (nattonrice)
DIY dual mono LPUHP 16wpc poweramp - used for high power HP (but an impressive less than 12 mOhms output impedance.)
Esoteric D-05 dac (Good Times)
Fiio E10 (zowki)
Fiio e17 (scratchy)
Fostex HP-P1 (lillee)
Grace m903 (sandalaudio)
Graham Slee Solo (syfjhz22 - ask)
GoVibe Vulcan+ (pkwak)
HeadAmp Pico AMP/DAC(Grant625)
HeadAmp GS 1 (hpz)
HeadRoom Amps (i.e. '11 Desktop Amp and BitHead) (alex699)
Headroom Balanced Desktop (onboard DAC) (AudioAspirant) + Balanced Cardas Cable for HD650s if anybody has a set and wants to trial it balanced.
Headroom DPS (AudioAspirant) + Kimber Cable USB (bring your digital source).
Hifiman HE 500 (abee)
ibasso D10 (modded - qusp)
O2 - JDS Labs (iamthem)
ODAC - JDSLabs (Timmyw)
ODAC (a_recording)
John Kenny mk3 HiFace - drez
Leckerton UHA-6S MKII (TnTMaN)
Lehmann BCL (sandalaudio)
little dot mk1+ with sylvania gold brand 408A tubes (Errymoose - ask)
Meier Corda Arietta (mrAdrian)
Musical Fidelity M1 headphone amp (monkee )
NAD M51 (sjay - ask)
Nationite S:flo2(pkwak)
O2 (a_recording)
Ordnance .22 (Caution)
RME Babyface (sandalaudio)
RWA ssd iMod (Grant625)
Sansa Clip+ (Caution)
Schiit Lyr with Bifrost (TnTMaN - ask)
shonyun - a prototype class A single ended input hybrid solid state amp (qusp)
SPL Phonitor (Timmyw - probably - ask)
Tianyun ZERO DAC/Amp (Errymoose)
Trafomatic Aries valve amp/headphone amp (Good Times)
Woo Audio WA6 amp (navii),
WYRED-4-SOUND DAC-1 (Caution)
Wyred4Sound Dac2 (hpz)
Yulong D100 MK2 (Golotripa - maybe)

Stax-ish DIY T2 (nattonrice),
Stax-ish DIY BH"SE" (nattonrice)
STAX-ish High Amp Transistor Amp V3(Caution)
(more stax and stax-ish gear by wink at the bottom)

HP
AKG K240 studio (monkee) (gen i)
AKG K 240 Mk II (alex699),
AKG K340 (electrostatic/dynamic) (sandalaudio)
akg k550 (scratchy)
AKG K702 with Cardas upgrade cable (alex699)
Akg K702 (monkee)
AKG K701 (Balanced Cardas) (AudioAspirant)
AKG K701 (#7xxxx series iamthem)
AKG K702 Stock cable(pkwak)
Alessandro MS1 - 1000 mod' (mrAdrian)
Alessandro MSPro (mradrian)
Alumod MS-1 (a_recording)
Audio Technica Pro700 Mk2 ANV (a_recording - ask)
Audio Technica - ATH AD900 (mrAdrian)
Audio Technica ES10 (TnTMaN)
Audio-Technica M50s (zowki),
Audio Technica ATH-W3000ANV. (pigwave )!
Beyerdynamic T1 (Timmyw)
BeyerDynamic Dt 990 (cwon6239)
Beyerdynamic T70P (TnTMaN)
Beyerdynamic T70 (Errymoose)
Denon D2000 (mrAdrian)
Denon D5000 (Golotripa),
Denon D5000 (zowki),
Denon D7000 Balanced (syfjhz22)
Fischer Audio FA-003 (cwon6239)
Fostex T50RP [badly] modified - drez
Fostex T50RP (modded) (a_recording)
Fostex t50rp modded w/ Cardas cable (Caution)
Grado: PS1. (rzy6cn - maybe)
Grado RS1i (Errymoose)
Hifiman HE-6 - drez
Sennheiser HD555 (syfjhz22 - ask)
Sennheiser HD580 (mrAdrian)
Sennheiser HD598 (Golotripa)
Sennheiser HD600 (balanced - qusp)
Sennheiser HD650 (mitos)
Sennheiser HD650 (syfjhz22 not in very good condition)
Sennheiser HD800 (# 12xxx ALO cable, single ended - Grant625)
Sennheiser HD800 - Balanced (syfjhz22 )
Sennheiser HE60 (rzy6cn - maybe and that's why you should pester him to come :D :wink: )
Shure SRH940 (lillee)
Sony MDR-CD900st (Ztick)
Sony mdr-MA900 (a_recording)
Sony MDR-Z1000 (sandalaudio)
Sony SA3000 (mrAdrian)
Sony MDR-CD3000(Caution)
Sony SA-5000 (a_recording)
V-Mode M80

STAX SR-507(Caution)
STAX SR-007 MK1 SZ1xxx(Caution)
Stax O2 (nattonrice)
(more stax and stax-ish gear by wink below)

IEMs
Creative Aurvana (iamthem)
Hifiman RE-0 (mitos)
jh13 (qusp) ... with a couple of cables.
JH13 (hpz) and
JVC FXD80 (a_recording)
Logitech UE200 (iamthem)
Ortofon EQ-5 (TnTMaN)
Sony MDR-EX1000 (a_recording)
Sony MDR-EX1000 (syfjhz22)
Sony XBA-3 (TnTMaN)
Sony XBA-4 (a_recording)
Shure SE535Ltd (lillee)
Shure SE 535s (timmyw)
Unique Melody Merlin(pkwak)
Unique Melody Miracles.(hpz)
Vsonic GR-07 (mitos)
Westone 4R (TnTMaN)
Westone ES5 (lillee)

Gear wink said he'll bring : KGSS and some electrostatics, (HE60, 02 MK1) as well as a load of dynamics and orthos.

Secret vendor gear: http://www.head-fi.org/t/608735/can-con-2-sydney-2012-meet-aug-18th-3-30-to-8-30pm-near-epping-station/330#post_8614964

Addicted to Audio Gear: http://www.head-fi.org/t/608735/can-con-2-sydney-2012-meet-aug-18th-3-30-to-8-30pm-near-epping-station/330#post_8615216

HP/IEMs on demand
If you want to see any of the following - PM mrAdrian):
Fischer Audio FA011 / Beyer DT1350 / HD25 / ATH EW9 / GR07 / TF10 / PL50 / TS02
See a_recording's profile for more gear you can request he brings.
a2a said to have a look at their site and let them know what gear people want them to bring (subject to demo stock availability =) ). you can PM George and their site is http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au

May 5, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #3 of 421
Sounds great - I should be able to attend on August 19.

At this point I am using my parents' car, so I will need to confirm whether I can give anyone a lift, or whether I myself will require a lift.

Gear that I can bring:

AudioGD NFB-10 SE
AudioGD Reference 7.1
AudioGD Master 6
John Kenny mk3 HiFace
Hifiman HE-6
[badly] modified Fostex T50RP
cabling (spare BNC digital, RCA digital, RCA analogue)

I am still a bit stuck when it comes to a transport front end - I am using my desktop PC which weights 15+ kilos and has HDD's flying around loose etc, I also have an XPS latpot but that has 2 graphics cards in it and I don't think will make a very good front end.  If its all too much I could always piggy back of someone else's CD player to make life easier, but my DAC also has a digital output (not sure if this works at the same time as the DAC) so possibly I could pass the SPDIF through.  Anyway I will see what I feel like taking on the day.

If anyone has any spare surge protection this might be a good idea - I don't think anyone wants to blow any fuses.
eek.gif

May 5, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #4 of 421
Shall be coming!

I live in the hills area and I shall be driving. Most likely I'll bring a very dear friend of mine to join too.

Gear I have (as of now...),

Keces DAC 151
DV 336
Meier Corda Arietta

Sennheiser HD580
Denon D2000
Sony SA3000
Alessandro MS1 - 1000 mod'
ATH AD900
Fischer FA011 if someone is interested

DT1350 / HD25 / ATH EW9 / GR07 / TF10 / PL50 / TS02 if anyone is interested.

p.s. UNSW meet was awesome :wink: Less people, less gear, more head time with them and discussions :D Plus its so easy to organize :wink: Thanks for doing this for Syd Headfi-ers twice in a row svyr... Last meet was great

May 5, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #5 of 421
Oh and anyone feel like inviting ATH Australia? Just so they realize there's a bunch of head-fiers in the city, and to have a listen at some of the AT-W series :D

May 5, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #6 of 421
Count me in, I missed last years Sydney meet but ended up at one down in Melbourne.

I live in the east and would be driving. I would bring the following;

Meier Audio StageDAC
Meier Audio Concerto
AKG k701
DT880 600Ohm

I could plug in another amp in at the same time with the StageDAC

May 5, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #7 of 421
So going to listen to the 880 more in depth this time.

May 5, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #8 of 421
I'm very interested. Hopefully By then I'll have some more gear to show off, although I'd probably be doing more demoing rather than showing my stuff. I'd really like UM to be there, really interested in listening to their products, (merlin especially :p).

May 5, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #10 of 421
Thanks drez, mrAdrian and goobags and AyeCee. Added you to potential attendee list along w the potential gear list.

> I also have an XPS latpot but that has 2 graphics cards in it and I don't think will make a very good front end.

GFX card power saving mode of any sort :D ? or you're worried it's optimized for GFX performance and not audio :D ? (you could ask around if anyone has a spare netbook or something closer to the date, since um, 3 10kg dacamps is probably quite enough :D )

>Oh and anyone feel like inviting ATH Australia? Just so they realize there's a bunch of head-fiers in the city, and to have a listen at some of the AT-W series :D

We could, I've sent them an email and contacted audiofly for now. Not sure if it's the right thing to ask them before we have the details and # of attendees worked out, but hey why not. If anything unexpected happens, I'll just ask them again later on/ask to confirm their desire to attend or skip it.

>Thanks for doing this for Syd Headfi-ers twice in a row svyr... Last meet was great

Paul has exagerrated my contributions :) I've mostly just answered some PMs about organizing the meet for him last time/scoped one of the potential venues out.

>p.s. UNSW meet was awesome :wink: Less people, less gear, more head time with them and discussions :D Plus its so easy to organize :wink: Thanks for doing this for Syd Headfi-ers twice in a row svyr... Last meet was great

heh, lucky small venue/uni room people :wink:

>Vlad and everybody last year there was more than 50 people who have attended (believe it or not).

nice, I was just going off the list in the old topic assuming it was 25.

May 6, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #11 of 421
I wonder would UM bring a pair of reshells for demo'n purposes, like a TF10X4 or X6 kind of, haha.

Oh shameless ad, if anyone is interested in an extremely casual meet with absolutely NO organisation/rules/what so ever, feel free to pm me. UNSW do have rooms that would fit prob 15 people together with their gears. Just very, very casual ones.

I'm also very interested in audiofly.

May 6, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #12 of 421
I wonder would UM bring a pair of reshells for demo'n purposes, like a TF10X4 or X6 kind of, haha.

Oh shameless ad, if anyone is interested in an extremely casual meet with absolutely NO organisation/rules/what so ever, feel free to pm me. UNSW do have rooms that would fit prob 15 people together with their gears. Just very, very casual ones.

I'm also very interested in audiofly.

uuum, dunno. You could ask Matt/UMAus. I have a feeling Reshells/driver upgrades/etc are generally done to order, and UM doesn't hold any in stock. (let alone any in universal mold form).

I was considering bringing my UM universal reshell/driver upgrade/frankensteins, but I'm not sure (inclined to say I won't ) (my UM SM3x8 was extremely expensive + IEMs are potentially brittle (e.g. people dropping them, or changing the tips on the nozzle and snapping it off if they're especially 'talented' and unlucky), highly personal hygiene wise (I'm not sure I'd like cleaning other people's wax out of them lol) and we'd need a ton of tips for them and presumably some hygienic wipes and need more supervision than full size cans (which means I'll be stressing instead of enjoying the meet, so this sort of thing is best left to dealers with insured stock :wink: )

May 6, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #15 of 421
^awesome
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back