Can anyone vouch for the Audinst MX-1?
Sep 15, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 18
Maybe because it's a new product from a new company? And it's currently sold out?

I'm a fan of it purely based on the positive reviews that pretty much agree with each other on the same points. Do not own it myself since I already have a Gamma 2. I bought an MX-1 as a gift for someone else though, and received good feedback about it.

Sep 15, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #5 of 18

Quote:
Maybe because it's a new product from a new company? And it's currently sold out?

I'm a fan of it purely based on the positive reviews that pretty much agree with each other on the same points. Do not own it myself since I already have a Gamma 2. I bought an MX-1 as a gift for someone else though, and received good feedback about it.

I guess I should start out with the much applauded uDac.

Sep 15, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #6 of 18
I have an Audinst HUD-mx1 (I bought one of the last ones before they ran out) driving a Sennheiser HD650 and I must say it's pretty good.  It was recommended to me because a couple other posters here said that the uDac imparts a sound-signature that is somewhat undesirable if you want your mids to come out.  It's a pleasant little device, and has plenty of power to drive the HD650s... What 'phones will you be driving? That can make a difference, though maybe not so much in this price range. I definitely recommend the Audinst though.

Sep 15, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #7 of 18

Quote:
I have an Audinst HUD-mx1 (I bought one of the last ones before they ran out) driving a Sennheiser HD650 and I must say it's pretty good.  It was recommended to me because a couple other posters here said that the uDac imparts a sound-signature that is somewhat undesirable if you want your mids to come out.  It's a pleasant little device, and has plenty of power to drive the HD650s... What 'phones will you be driving? That can make a difference, though maybe not so much in this price range. I definitely recommend the Audinst though.

Well I want to try out a couple cans before I settle on which ones I like best. but currently I have the Grado SR225i. 
Maybe that fact it is sold out mean that their other new products are coming out (if you don't know what I am talking about, go to their site).

Sep 23, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #8 of 18
im using audinst now, and i love it. my colleague owns a uDac and i have tried it, i think the audinst is distinctly worth the extra $$. While the uDac is nice, the audinst is clearly superior in every department.

Sep 23, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #9 of 18

Quote:
im using audinst now, and i love it. my colleague owns a uDac and i have tried it, i think the audinst is distinctly worth the extra $$. While the uDac is nice, the audinst is clearly superior in every department.

Once I can find an Audinst for $70...
biggrin.gif

For right now it seems the uDac is the right solution.

Sep 24, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #11 of 18
I actually sold my uDAC after a couple of weeks of owning it. I thought it sounded worse than my Sony X1050 (read: fuzzier and more sterile) and offered no improvement over my soundcard. I think the only way I see myself using a uDAC is if my only system was a laptop with a crappy onboard soundcard and I needed my DAC to be as portable as possible. 

Another DAC that seems really good (and cheap!) is the Purepiper DAC. There's a thread about that one in here somewhere.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
I actually sold my uDAC after a couple of weeks of owning it. I thought it sounded worse than my Sony X1050 (read: fuzzier and more sterile) and offered no improvement over my soundcard. I think the only way I see myself using a uDAC is if my only system was a laptop with a crappy onboard soundcard and I needed my DAC to be as portable as possible. 

Another DAC that seems really good (and cheap!) is the Purepiper DAC. There's a thread about that one in here somewhere.
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />

Well my onboard soundcard needs to be stabbed. It manages to give my headphones HUGE coloration/bloatation in the mid bass and no detail. My Droid is a better source. 

Sep 25, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
... offered no improvement over my soundcard. 

The uDAC compared with my onboard Realtek HD Audio is much better, I'm not sure how the difference wasn't detectable to you. The uDAC compared to my Zune HD however is very minor difference.

Oct 20, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #15 of 18
I own and Audinst HUD-MX1.  I bought it because one of the opamps is swappable, but I found I preferred the stock one anyway.
I used it with DT990 then HD650, then I used it as a DAC to my tube amp before I went to just listening to vinyl.

I presently picked up K701 which don't work well at all on my OTL Tube amp.  Sound great on the Audinst though.

I can't compare the Audinst HUD-MX1 with any of the other's talked about here, but I can say I am very happy with it.  I *would* recommend it to anyone that finds the features/price to be what they looking for.
I recall the shipping to be very fast and communication great.  Build quality leaves nothing to be desired.  Handy little unit to take with on travel with my netbook for music/movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back