Can Anyone Recommend a Tablet PC?
Jan 31, 2012 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

wolfen68

Headphoneus Supremus
A friend of mine is looking for a reliable tablet that covers the basics and is cheaper than the ipad.  I am also curious of anyone's expereince successfully intergrating one of the newer models into a the chain of a nice headphone rig.  So far he is looking at this one because of the alluring price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834322001

It doesn't appear to have a dedicated USB slot which might nix it as a good transport.  Any other options anyone can recommend?

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 13
Tablet PCs are my forte...

...not media slates, though, which are what you're looking into.

Since you're looking at possibly integrating one into a headphone rig with a USB DAC, I'm not sure how those react to non-Windows OSes. To be on the safe side, that leaves a few options...with a common problem.

The problem? If you want them cheaper than an iPad, then you're not going to be able to input with just your bare fingers. Not an issue for me, but I'm using them as pen-and-paper replacements to begin with, not just a casual computing device.

Maybe if you asked over at Tablet PC Review, you'd get more assistance.

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
Tablet PCs are my forte...

...not media slates, though, which are what you're looking into.

Since you're looking at possibly integrating one into a headphone rig with a USB DAC, I'm not sure how those react to non-Windows OSes. To be on the safe side, that leaves a few options...with a common problem.

The problem? If you want them cheaper than an iPad, then you're not going to be able to input with just your bare fingers. Not an issue for me, but I'm using them as pen-and-paper replacements to begin with, not just a casual computing device.

Maybe if you asked over at Tablet PC Review, you'd get more assistance.

Any recommedations on tablet PC's?

Feb 1, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
Any recommedations on tablet PC's?

...I somehow still don't think it's right for me to just straight-up recommend an HP 2730p or Fujitsu T5010 used from eBay as I usually do, if only because you can't use them with finger touch and nothing you mentioned really benefits from pen input.

I suggest asking here. You'll get more suitable recommendations.

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #6 of 13
Mar 14, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #8 of 13
As hard as it is to believe, I don't think there's any tablet with a dedicated optical nor coaxial SPDIF connection yet...
In that case an USB/HDMI to SPDIF converter would have to be used to a DAC with SPDIF input....

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
A friend of mine is looking for a reliable tablet that covers the basics and is cheaper than the ipad.  I am also curious of anyone's expereince successfully intergrating one of the newer models into a the chain of a nice headphone rig.  So far he is looking at this one because of the alluring price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834322001

Depending on how OC he is, Samsung and Apple (you can probably get used or NOS iPad1 or iPad2 for a lot less now, the only problem is %$^*%^&$*$#^! iTunes not having drag and drop) have the best solution for a desktop music system : they have docks where you can hook up the proper adapter to send out USB audio (USB OTG or Camera Connection Kit-USB), although others may have this as well by now. I was looking into getting a Samsung (or Asus Android) last year once USB audio is confirmed working, plus some of them have the dock port on the wide side so my music player will be more like a desktop computer interface (album art on one side, track list on the other half), plus the obvious - a microSD slot.

That was the plan until my family gave me an iPad2 because I was the only one who didn't have one. Aside from not wanting to disappoint well-meaning people for their choice, given my brother thought far enough ahead to include the dock and CCK knowing what I'm likely to do with it, one reason why I didn't sell it is because it looked neat on the stand, save for 1) them giving me the black tablet knowing I like black, but 2) Apple's docks only come in white. Anyways when my car comes in for a paint job I'm leaving a spare dock with the body shop so they can hit it with spare PPG Nero and polish it as well.

Quote:
It doesn't appear to have a dedicated USB slot which might nix it as a good transport.  Any other options anyone can recommend?

Actually, you're better off with some tablets without a dedicated USB slot, save maybe for the ones that run on Windows 8 (I think). The older Androids that have separate integrated dock ports plus auxilliary USB and power ports, like an Acer 7" I got to try, had older Android versions that don't run with the conventional USB host mode. That is, it doesn't 'control' the device, but gets controlled by it, essentially running like the Android device is just a storage medium as opposed to a real music stream via USB (just like how Android-compatible car audio systems work). A similar implementation was done by NuForce, in that the iDo isn't compatible with music formats not recognized by iTunes, as it essentially takes over all audio processing with the iPad basically just a storage and interface device. The only exception I can think of is the Archos 5, and maybe the Windows tablets.

On the other hand, you have tablets (or phones) with only an integrated dock/USB port and, as mentioned above, will stream USB audio if used with the appropriate adapter. It's the CCK for the dock-era iPads, but there are some compatibility issues I think with the Lightning models; but there's a lot of good news about more convenient USB OTG cables for Android so you won't have to deal with teh more cumbersome miniUSB OTG to female USB-A adapter (I think the Samsungs have a 30pin dock plug on the dock stand and then have a miniUSB on the rear of the dock).

BTW whatever tablet you plan on using as a music server find reviews on how its battery fares for that purpose, since it can determine how many years you can use it as such given a tablet with a weak battery usually can't charge and send USB audio simultaneously due to integrated dock ports; the iPad has the HRT iStreamer though which sends up some current from the power supply. My iPad2 can go three weeks without charging, with about 1hr+ of listening and some eMagazine download/reading in between. Some iOS5.x.xx update screwed it up though, draining the battery too fast whenever the WiFi is running, but the latest iOS6 update fixed it.

Also look at the links below.

----

Quote:
As hard as it is to believe, I don't think there's any tablet with a dedicated optical nor coaxial SPDIF connection yet...
In that case an USB/HDMI to SPDIF converter would have to be used to a DAC with SPDIF input....

Archos 5 (also has USB audio host mode with some DACs), Cowon D3 (OK so it's more the size of an iPod Touch, but close enough)

----

Here's another option for a home system though - the Minix Neo, a mini Android PC (ie, MacMini size). I think it can be set-up as a media player and an Android phone/tablet with the accompanying remote app, but of course you'd still need a conventional monitor for setting this up and for troubleshooting. It can use an external HDD so you can basically go nuts with how much music you don't have to swap microSDHCs for. So basically he can spend around $120 on this, integrate it into his home network to access his media NAS (or get a separate external HDD for it about $100), and then get a tablet if he actually needs a tablet for other uses and then set up the remote app. Otherwise an Android smartphone will do (if he doesn't have one, personally that might be something to upgrade to rather than getting a tablet, depending on his needs).

Mar 16, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #11 of 13
Thanks Protoge... and all.

Basically I want to take my macbook Pro off my night stand at night... leave it on my work desk.  and have a smaller scale device to play my apple lossless library from my external USB hard drives.

That Minix mini PC looks like it would get the job done.  I wouldn't mind having a small flatscreen on my nightstand.  Do you know if the Minix can USB host an external drive thats been setup for apple iOS?

Mar 16, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #12 of 13
Well actually this is a topic I'm very familiar with as it is what I do for a living. And as an avid Android fan-boy, and part-time scripter/developer, the best bang for your buck is a clear thumbs up to the Nexus 7. Pure glitch-free Google supported pure-android environment and some pretty musclely hardware under the hood, thanks to the Tegra 3. In the higher dollar range I also love my Asus Transformer Infinity (TF700). Hardware wise is about 2 to 3 times faster then an Ipad CPU to CPU and GPU to GPU, plus a ton more options like micro sd card slot then the Ipad.I have both and cherish them equally. But what do I know, I'm an Android fanboy 
beyersmile.png

Anywho, We should soon be seeing support on android devices for usb DAC and soundcard over a USB OTG interface, so you will be able to connect your DAC and/or Soundcard directly to your tablet like you would with your PC. Not sure if we will see that kind of support on Jellybean or if it will come on Key Lime, but there should be apps that cover support before then. 

In terms of the onboard sound on a tablet, most tablets will have slightly superior internal sound then a laptop due to a few factors. One being this is far less internal system noise from DC fans, HDDs, and even trackpads. Second is on the PCB on most tablets sound processing is pushed partially to the joint GPU/CPU area rather then just the CPU in most laptop computers, also yielding lower noise generally. On some tablets like those running the Tegra 3, there is a 5th core in the CPU which handles low demand tasks like music playback, while the the other 4 cores handle more intensive tasks. 

Ultimately most tabletss are going to be like Laptops in there innate ability to process sound, and there are none that boast certain high spec dedicated sound cards or anything like that. Choose a tablet in your price range, and it should be able to handle audio without a problem, including the sub $80 tablets you see on Amazon and the like.

Edit: Saw your post kramer. You should be able to hook up you ext. HDDs with a usb otg cable (like $3 on Amazon) to a tablet that has a micro usb port or even run a few HDDs by connecting a usb hub to the adapter, just make sure the HDDs have their own power supply, because most tablets cannot push enough power through the charging port to run more then one usb device that draws full power. I got a $100 HKC (from walmart) tablet that I do exactly that with. I got 2 HDDs a mouse and keyboard connected with a USB OTG cable to it and use it as a media station.

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
Thanks Protoge... and all.

Basically I want to take my macbook Pro off my night stand at night... leave it on my work desk.  and have a smaller scale device to play my apple lossless library from my external USB hard drives.

That Minix mini PC looks like it would get the job done.  I wouldn't mind having a small flatscreen on my nightstand.  Do you know if the Minix can USB host an external drive thats been setup for apple iOS?

If it's an external drive, is it full yet, or would you mind just getting another one (I'm assuming you're not referring to an NAS)? Thing is I don't think an HDD set up for a Mac will just work; there's a reason why there are Mac-specific external drives or you reformat it. I think the file formatting is the issue between Windows and OSx, so chances are there are likely to be issues with Android too.

I think it can. I read somewhere it can do USB host natively, including USB audio, so I suppose it has some modified kernel in it to make it function more like a desktop computer than (well, older) mobile devices. However to be safe I'd use a desktop drive, not a portable, since it may not have enough power through the USB bus to run a portable drive. If you already have the drive try it first before you buy the 3.5" with its own PSU. In any case there's a dedicated thread somewhere so you can confirm with other users.

BTW it has optical output too so that expands DAC choices. I'm actually thinking of getting this instead of a wireless HDD for my iPad2, and use my audio archive drive for the time being and when I get a new HDD that'll be my new archive, but then the other expense will be that a new DAC will be too tempting, given there's SPDIF. Well, if Goldenears releases the Accudio player for Android*, I'll probably give in.

*Problem why they haven't, I think, is that part of the testing method is that they already know that most iOS devices measure flat - any distortion results more from mismatch of the kind of power the headphone needs, but still it works through digital out. But if they implement it for Android, they can always put a disclaimer that it's more a guarantee that they can more accurately hit a flat response for USB or SPDIF digital output.

-----

@Kramer5150,

Make sure you check the threads on running headless and which media players work, I just saw a review on the Minix X5's Amazon page and someone couldn't run XBMC on it but it runs on the Midnight. It probably runs but it's probably more complicated; but of course there are bound to be other apps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back