Can anyone recommend a strong-cable IEM?
May 18, 2010 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

the dude

New Head-Fier
Last year i bought my Shure se210. After using them almost daily, rapping the cable around the ear like your supposed to, the cable started to tear apart. now days the earphones in 95% of the time don't work, with a lot of messing around and pressing the line sometimes i hear some sounds that with every little move of the cable stop.

I am hoping to get recommendations for IEM that have cables that are more aggressive or flexible, or maybe just don't need rapping around the ear - what i think caused the first breaks in the cable [in both sides almost simultaneously].

If anyone can recommend to me such kind or maybe have a tip for handling with the earphones besides keeping them all the time in a safe box.

After this disappointment i don't want to spend so much money as i did last time [around 200$] and hope to find something reasonable for around 100$.

Any help would be very appreciated.

May 18, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #2 of 13
try Westone line of product. My UM3x took a lot of abuse still running good

May 18, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #3 of 13
The Etymotic ER4S had the most industrial cabling I've seen in an IEM, very rugged, thick, reliefs everywhere.  It's not exactly light or super flexible though, and there is no over the ear so to speak.  microphonics are bad unless you use the shirt clip.  However, I don't think they'd ever wear out.  The sound is quite remarkable but most likely significantly different than the SE210.  Around $100, nope, but it's an option if you still want to chance a $200 item.

Small suggestion, buy used.  You can typically buy and later resell products at almost no loss if you can get away from the idea that everything you own has to be new to start with.

I can't say if you'll run into similar problems running a variety of other earphones, over the ear or not.  I've personally never had an issue with anything I've owned, but I can see it happening in some cases after some time of ownership.  Copper does what copper does.  After so many flexes, it simply breaks.  Thinner strands will reduce the wear rate, so better quality cabling (tiny gauge, high strand count) will last the longest, as well as be the most flexible.  Some earphones minimize wear by reducing the flexing the the first place with various forms of over the ear devices.  The hope is you set them right initially, and you never adjust them again.

May 18, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #5 of 13
I definately agree on the RE0.  I swear I have yanked the cable so many times, and its going strong.  I never would have predicted a non-recognizable brand from china to be so durable and have such good sound quality.  These headphones really surpassed my expectations.

May 18, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #6 of 13
The RE0 and Ety 4s have both been very durable.  The Ety4s are a rather stiff cable though.  A bit off topic, but the Yuin PK line of earbuds are pretty rugged too, although they don't look it.

May 30, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #9 of 13
If you're afraid you'll be really rough on your cables, try some IEMs with removable cables.  These include the Triple.Fi 10s, the Sennheiser IE8s, and the new removable cable version of the UM3Xs.

May 31, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #10 of 13
The sennheiser IE line has good, strong, lightweight cables. Kevlar-reinforced & no microphonics. IE6, 7 & 8 all have it. 

May 31, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #11 of 13

Hey Now,

I treat my Ety ER4Ps with gusto. I wear them regularly on the tractor for hours on end. I have had them ripped out of my ears by low hanging branches while cutting the pasture, quite often actually! I usually tuck them under safety glasses temple's and wrap around my ear, but the loop sticks out some. They have survived very well for the last nine years of abusership, I have only had to replace the cable once in 9 years at the 7 year mark. It does hurt a little when they get ripped out unexpectedly, but they are the best at sound isolation, so I love them on the tractor.

Mine have been as tough as nails. YMMV 
wink_face.gif

--

Finest kind,

Chris

Jun 4, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #13 of 13
sennheiser IE cables and the westone cables are both very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back