Can Amps damage headphones?
Oct 25, 2009 at 7:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

seraphjei

100+ Head-Fier
I just recently bought an Aune DAC/amp and i've had to recently replace it twice. Well technically once. My current Aune also needs some repairs but I don't plan on replacing it. At this point it's far too much hassle. Of course that's not the point of this thread.

The first time I used my the aune I was using my Alessandro MS2i at the time. Everything was fine for the first 150 hours of burn in. However as time went on I noticed there was an inbalance of sound in the right and left channel of the headphone. Most of the vocals and bass seemed to come from the right channel. I returned the aune, but even AFTER the said event the headphone seemed to be louder in the right ear.

It seemed to even out eventually so I assumed it was psychological. However with my second aune, I used my K701s and the same problem occurred again. I stopped using the aune and resorted to just driving them straight out of my laptop until I could find a suitable replacement. Once again, the right channel appeared to be louder than the left even with the aune. So the question boils down to this. Did the aune somehow damage my headphones or is this all in my head?

*NOTE* I used a traditional 110v American adapter rather than the 220 adapter and voltage converter that came shipped with it. Stupid right? The converter that it was shipped with did not work, so I resorted to just using a spare adapter I had around the house. Does it matter?

in any case for those who are thinking tl;dr

I got a new dac. After I used it all my headphones are louder in the right ear. I have been using the wrong voltage adapter. Did I break my headphones by using my dac incorrectly?

Oct 25, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #2 of 6
Wait...you fed a device made for 220V 110V? Instead of using the converter, you just used an adapter? That is not optimal.

As for the headphones, I can think of nothing that would cause imbalance and then fix itself other than a psychological expectation that skewed what was actually coming out of the headphones.

-Nkk

EDIT: Are your K701s still imbalanced? Or has that now evened out?

Oct 25, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait...you fed a device made for 220V 110V? Instead of using the converter, you just used an adapter? That is not optimal.

As for the headphones, I can think of nothing that would cause imbalance and then fix itself other than a psychological expectation that skewed what was actually coming out of the headphones.

-Nkk

It was completely idiotic and I blame my impatience more than anything. It's definitely not something I'll ever do again.

My only worry is the fact if the dumb choice to use a 110v adapter is actually something that can physically damage the headphones. If this is something psychological, I better find some kind of counterpoint to reverse the effects because it is quite literally driving me insane.

Oct 25, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #4 of 6
A quick test of if it is psychological is stop listening to the headphones for 24 to 48 hours, and then try again. Unless this experience was so traumatic that it actually scarred you (as opposed to just causing different expectations or something), then that should long enough for a mental reset of sorts. Not that I actually know what I am talking of, but that is from my experience (and the psych major (sophomore) next door).

-Nkk

Oct 25, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #5 of 6
By adapter, do you mean a AC/DC adapter? (I can't imagine a piece of equipment built for 220V being damaged when plugged into 110V) As long as the voltage and the pin polarity were right it would have worked fine.

But yes, an amp can damage headphones if it sends DC to the headphone - if that was what happened the Aune is very poorly designed.

Oct 25, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #6 of 6
I have the same unit, i had the same problem(Right channel feels louder, left feels recessed and quiet). Actually, the problem with mine was easy to fix(pm me if interested). Guess then more units suffer from the same problem. After i fixed it i had some psychological after-effects as well but it's gone now. The power supply won't damage anything, you need to supply 12-18V DC to it (1000mA or more), how you do it it's irrevelant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back