Can all ear-pleasing colored sound dynamics of DACs and AMPs be achieved through VST Plugins, making the quest for the perfect DAC and AMP obsolete?
Jan 2, 2021 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

exwhyzed01

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

After weeks of researching Headphones, DACs and Amps, I recently began my audio journey starting with headphones, and ended-up with the Massdrop Sennheiser HD6xx. Finding them way too dark (i need some sizzle/more hi-hat-cymbal detail, which i can add with EQ), and the bass notes slurring together (I can't fix this), i stumbled upon a Headfi guide, by the user Lunatique, entitled
The most reliable/easiest way to EQ headphones properly to achieve the most ideal sound (for non-professionals)

I began following the initial steps and very early on, and when media players are being suggested, the guide indicates that VSTs can be used with the JRiver media player. WHAAAAAAT (in a good way)?!

I come from a background of making electronic music as a hobby, and VST instruments are an essential aspect. There are VSTs for everything...for seemingly every aspect of sound. From graphic to parametric EQs, Reverbs with hundreds of presets, Amplifiers, Air providers, Warmth bringers, Wideners, Distortions, Harmonic suppliers, Exciters, Compressors, Effects, Tape saturation/hisses, and an array of magical acoustic property adders (VSTs that use a blend of different combinations of audio-property tweaks to add character to sound).

If music can now be colored in a plethora of ear-pleasing ways...
- Do i need to continue endless hours of DAC/AMP researching, and then testing, to find one with the perfect sound for me?
- Can all DAC/Amp sound colorations be captured by combinations of plugins alone?
- Should I just get a basic and cheap clean sounding DAC and Amp (potential endless research hours still required for this task) to get sound to my headphones, and then tweak VST knobs and controls to my liking, resulting in audio-bliss for the rest of eternity?

I'm really interested in hearing of people's experiences and opinions on this.

Please find a small list below, of the types of VSTs I'm talking about.

P.S. For those who don't have experiences with VST's, its very easy to turn them on/off so you can A/B the sound at the click of a mouse. Users can tweak knobs to really over-drive an effect to hear what its all about, then scale it back to an almost imperceptible level. Users can also stack VSTs just like physical hardware, and the order you stack them makes a difference in the final output sound.

WARMTH

Klanghelm MJUC
Klanghelm MJUC.jpg

PSP Vintage Warmer
psp vintage warmer.png

Voxengo Warmifier
voxengo warmifier.jpg

AIR

Plug-in Alliance Maag EQ4 (yellow and blue knobs on the right)
plug in alliance maag eq4.png

Slate Revival
slate revival.jpg

Softube Abbey Road Studios Brilliance Pack
softube abbeyroad brilliance pack.png

HARMONICS

Softube Harmonics Analog Saturation Processor
Softube harmonics.png

BBE H82 Harmonic Maximizer
bbe harmonic.jpg

SPL TwinTube
spl twin tube.jpg