Can a mojo 2 feed a powered sub?
Jul 10, 2023 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

some dude

Head-Fier
If I run a 3.5mm to rca cable from my mojo 2 to a powered sub would that work? The sub has a selectable crossover so I assume it would be ok but I wonder if the signal might be too weak since normally it would be connected to an AV receiver putting out more than 100x more power.

I would just test it myself but the sub is at my moms house which is not very close to my house and it is huge and very heavy so I would rather not waist the time and effort to go get it if it won’t work. The goal would be to use it with my he1000se.

Jul 11, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #3 of 6
Depends
If the sub is connected with the AV using speaker wire (high level input), the mojo is unable to drive it.
If the sub has RCA input, it will work.
Thank you, I’m pretty sure it does have rca in. It’s been stored down in my mom’s basement since we moved out of state like 10years ago so I’m not positive but I’m pretty sure. I just haven’t really had much use for it so I haven’t gone to get it. I saw the Burson soloist gt had a sub out and it got me thinking if there was other ways to try a sub with open back headphones and then it occurred to me that maybe I could do it with my mojo 2 since it has 2 outputs and can function as a dac.

Jul 11, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #4 of 6
If I run a 3.5mm to rca cable from my mojo 2 to a powered sub would that work? The sub has a selectable crossover so I assume it would be ok but I wonder if the signal might be too weak since normally it would be connected to an AV receiver putting out more than 100x more power.

An A/V receiver's LFE output or the Sub Out on most integrated amps if they use RCA will likely be low level ie line signal. Meaning the signal is measured in volts, not watts. If there's any difference in voltage the Mojo is going to output a fixed 2V signal while an A/V receiver can go higher or lower depending on how you set the sub output ie if you have a +X or -Y value on it relative to the rest of the system.

It can still affect how loud the sub goes but you can compensate by cranking up the gain on the sub plate amp but there are bigger problems than that.

1) How do you get a signal to the mains if you're feeding that to the sub?

2) You don't have the LFE controls that are available on a home theater receiver's/AV pre-pro's LFE output.

Jul 11, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #5 of 6
An A/V receiver's LFE output or the Sub Out on most integrated amps if they use RCA will likely be low level ie line signal. Meaning the signal is measured in volts, not watts. If there's any difference in voltage the Mojo is going to output a fixed 2V signal while an A/V receiver can go higher or lower depending on how you set the sub output ie if you have a +X or -Y value on it relative to the rest of the system.

It can still affect how loud the sub goes but you can compensate by cranking up the gain on the sub plate amp but there are bigger problems than that.

1) How do you get a signal to the mains if you're feeding that to the sub?

2) You don't have the LFE controls that are available on a home theater receiver's/AV pre-pro's LFE output.
A mojo 2 is a headphone amp that has 2 separate 3.5mm outputs that are both always on. I would run one to my headphones and 1 to the rca inputs on the back of the sub. I do have an AV receiver with a LFE output but my headphones are considerably better than my speakers so I would like to see how the sub works with those if it will. More curious than anything, I don’t particularly expect it to be super good or anything, might be cool for watching shows/movies on my phone though.

Jul 11, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #6 of 6
A mojo 2 is a headphone amp that has 2 separate 3.5mm outputs that are both always on. I would run one to my headphones and 1 to the rca inputs on the back of the sub. I do have an AV receiver with a LFE output but my headphones are considerably better than my speakers so I would like to see how the sub works with those if it will. More curious than anything, I don’t particularly expect it to be super good or anything, might be cool for watching shows/movies on my phone though.

If it has two outputs then it can probably work. Just crank up the gain on the sub's plate amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back