can a 4.4mm to 3.5mm balanced cable have TS connection in the 3.5mm end ? i read that ts is only for unbalanced ,im confused please help
Feb 11, 2023 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mohnishvishal

New Head-Fier
Headphone-zone-meze-99-4.4m-cable-01_800x.jpg

Feb 11, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #3 of 14
Its been a while since I've worked in the industry, but as far as I know the tip passes the signal and the sleeve is for the shielding and goes to the ground, which is why you need three contacts, so trs. In order to pass a balanced signal. t and r would pass the + an -, with the sleeve connecting the shielding to the ground. Again, its been a while, and at the end of the day a cable is just a bunch of wires conducting electricity. So long as you pass a balanced signal on one end, and the other end can handle balanced signals, what gets sent over which contacts don't matter I guess. It does however, strike me as odd. The point of balanced signals is to reduce noise being picked up from the environment no? having a shielded cable is like the bare minimum for that no? To the best of my (admittedly outdated) knowledge you need 3 contacts in order to pass a balanced signal and a ts plug would not be able to do that as it only has 2.

Because of the way you phrased your question I feel it may be relevant to mention here: what connectors (or size of said connectors) you use doesn't matter, the cable is not balanced - the signal is balanced. Again, if the sending end is sending a balanced signal and the receiving end knows how to handle a balanced signal, the result would be a balanced signal, so long as the cable can connect them correctly. I do suspect a 2 contact cable will not be able to do this - what's the context here? what made you ask? The photo you used here is for connecting headphones to a source - this wouldn't be balanced either way. t would be for left, r would be for right (maybe they would be the other way around - I don't remember) and s is the ground. The additional rings would be for the mic and/or buttons. The plug in the photo has 5 contacts so I suppose 2 could be for left and right, 2 for + and - (for the mic) and they could share the ground - this is just speculation though...

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #4 of 14
Its been a while since I've worked in the industry, but as far as I know the tip passes the signal and the sleeve is for the shielding and goes to the ground, which is why you need three contacts, so trs. In order to pass a balanced signal. t and r would pass the + an -, with the sleeve connecting the shielding to the ground. Again, its been a while, and at the end of the day a cable is just a bunch of wires conducting electricity. So long as you pass a balanced signal on one end, and the other end can handle balanced signals, what gets sent over which contacts don't matter I guess. It does however, strike me as odd. The point of balanced signals is to reduce noise being picked up from the environment no? having a shielded cable is like the bare minimum for that no? To the best of my (admittedly outdated) knowledge you need 3 contacts in order to pass a balanced signal and a ts plug would not be able to do that as it only has 2.

Because of the way you phrased your question I feel it may be relevant to mention here: what connectors (or size of said connectors) you use doesn't matter, the cable is not balanced - the signal is balanced. Again, if the sending end is sending a balanced signal and the receiving end knows how to handle a balanced signal, the result would be a balanced signal, so long as the cable can connect them correctly. I do suspect a 2 contact cable will not be able to do this - what's the context here? what made you ask? The photo you used here is for connecting headphones to a source - this wouldn't be balanced either way. t would be for left, r would be for right (maybe they would be the other way around - I don't remember) and s is the ground. The additional rings would be for the mic and/or buttons. The plug in the photo has 5 contacts so I suppose 2 could be for left and right, 2 for + and - (for the mic) and they could share the ground - this is just speculation though...
Sorry, not true, you need only tip and sleeve on the headphone side to be balanced as long as the amp end is a balanced connection hence two wire per side

Feb 11, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #5 of 14

Thank you for your reply

My purpose was to connect my balanced amp (XDUOO mt 604) which had 4.4mm output to my hifi man sundara which has 3.5mm input ,dac im using is topping d10 balaced .

The cable pictured above was sold to me as a 4.4mm to 3.5mm balanced cable , which left me puzzled since i noticed it has a ts connector . Do you think i have been cheated ? i just wanted a confirmtion from the community before i confronted the seller

Feb 11, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #8 of 14
Thank you for your reply

My purpose was to connect my balanced amp (XDUOO mt 604) which had 4.4mm output to my hifi man sundara which has 3.5mm input ,dac im using is topping d10 balaced .

The cable pictured above was sold to me as a 4.4mm to 3.5mm balanced cable , which left me puzzled since i noticed it has a ts connector . Do you think i have been cheated ? i just wanted a confirmtion from the community before i confronted the seller
not in the slightest the cable as long as it works is fine

Feb 11, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #11 of 14
Sorry, not true, you need only tip and sleeve on the headphone side to be balanced as long as the amp end is a balanced connection hence two wire per side
Ooohhh is that why the plug in the photo has 5 contacts then? I get it now. But is one of the signals actually passed over the shielding? Is that not weird? Or is it two wires inside?
Do you think i have been cheated ? i just wanted a confirmtion from the community before i confronted the seller
Looks like your fine =]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back