Campfire Chat - Official Campfire Audio 2024 Thread!
May 21, 2024 at 2:56 AM Post #1,261 of 1,320
When you say this. what does that mean to you? I ask because that seems to mean different things to different people.

No way, flat wound cables are way more of a hassle than round ones! :p

It is flat responding from the upper mids down to its low end, with suitable peaks for in ear interaction. Its not colored in any way like the Bonny or Trifecta. Heck, the andro gold is noticeably warmer.

Those flat cables you coil on the horizontal plane and place the iems in the middle, very easy. Nicer ear hooks too. Never tangling. 😅 I am over the super litz/smoked super litz. Even the Ares 2+ I put on the Andro Golds are obnoxious.

May 21, 2024 at 4:24 AM Post #1,262 of 1,320
20240520_152404.jpg
I did it! thank you so much @CFA Chris for accommodating some demo time.

The Trifecta is amazing. Will buy. Coolest thing coming from Empire Ears, there was no driver flex at all. The hype is real.

The Solaris Stellar Horizon IS absolutely an upgrade over the OG's and much smaller than I imagined. But if you have an older Solaris, don't rush to replace it. Enjoy.

The Moon Rover shell is very cool, and it's tuning very much reference. More-so than the Solaris and even Ara from what I remember (tonality wise). Less bass than everything. Don't count on an impressive or present low end, the SH has more here. I would only listen to acoustic with this set, might even consider it a
suitable monitor, however, if you want an emotional connection there's other "tools" *cough trifecta*. This is not to say it doesn't reproduce low frequencies, they just aren't going to rumble/slam/go BOOM. You can definitely hear but not feel low end.

Ultimately I'd say the Moon Rover is very competitive with the FiR E10 and $100 less (I drove down to campfire right after stopping by FiR).

PS: Time stream cables are the way. Just get one if you're still rocking an OG litz 😅.

PSS: I meeting Ken Ball was a small moment of being star struck. Very cool.

Any chances you heard the Fathom and compared them to the Moon Rover?

May 21, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #1,263 of 1,320
20240520_152404.jpg
I did it! thank you so much @CFA Chris for accommodating some demo time.

The Trifecta is amazing. Will buy. Coolest thing coming from Empire Ears, there was no driver flex at all. The hype is real.

The Solaris Stellar Horizon IS absolutely an upgrade over the OG's and much smaller than I imagined. But if you have an older Solaris, don't rush to replace it. Enjoy.

The Moon Rover shell is very cool, and it's tuning very much reference. More-so than the Solaris and even Ara from what I remember (tonality wise). Less bass than everything. Don't count on an impressive or present low end, the SH has more here. I would only listen to acoustic with this set, might even consider it a
suitable monitor, however, if you want an emotional connection there's other "tools" *cough trifecta*. This is not to say it doesn't reproduce low frequencies, they just aren't going to rumble/slam/go BOOM. You can definitely hear but not feel low end.

Ultimately I'd say the Moon Rover is very competitive with the FiR E10 and $100 less (I drove down to campfire right after stopping by FiR).

PS: Time stream cables are the way. Just get one if you're still rocking an OG litz 😅.

PSS: I meeting Ken Ball was a small moment of being star struck. Very cool.

Thanks for coming by and trying stuff out! We always love converting another Trifecta believer :sweat_smile:

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
May 21, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #1,264 of 1,320
It is flat responding from the upper mids down to its low end, with suitable peaks for in ear interaction. Its not colored in any way like the Bonny or Trifecta. Heck, the andro gold is noticeably warmer.

Those flat cables you coil on the horizontal plane and place the iems in the middle, very easy. Nicer ear hooks too. Never tangling. 😅 I am over the super litz/smoked super litz. Even the Ares 2+ I put on the Andro Golds are obnoxious.
Gotcha, thanks!

Yeah I know flat cables tangle less easily, but for me the fact you have to wrap them that way gives me the ick. I think the "over-under" technique has been too far ingrained in me after all the time I've spent working with audio engineers! 🤣

May 21, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #1,266 of 1,320
Any chances you heard the Fathom and compared them to the Moon Rover?
I actually did not listen to the Fathom (it was sitting right in front of me) I failed the forum 🤣. I really had one mission in mind, hear the Trifecta. Remembered the Stellar Horizon was a thing, and of course check out the Moon Rover pre-release.

May 21, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #1,267 of 1,320
Alright folks, I'm here with some notes re: Moon Rover vs. Fathom. A caveat to start, in terms of our broader line-up, these two sit pretty close to one another. I definitely consider these our closest to 'neutral' IEMs in our current line-up. So many differences noted here are more subtle than they would otherwise be when compared vs. something like Bonneville or Trifecta. So here are my thoughts after a couple hours of A/B-ing:

The most notable difference between these to me, is timbre. There's just a certain color and characteristic to planars that sets them apart. I think this stems from the size - making some rounder wider bass, with less of that kick-drum beat 'punch' - and the speed - creating that super fast, snappy hit in the snare and hi-hats - So though I feel that Fathom and Moon Rover are similarly balanced in terms of FR they provide a different flavor, maybe like lime vs lemon sparkling water haha. Overall MR feels more analytical than Fathom, but Fathom feels more analytical than much of our line-up, so not a huge delta there.

I mentioned MR's bass response, and I think that is a point of difference here. Fathom's has more of that physical hit while MR is rounder and wider. Similar volumes of bass, but very slightly more in Fathom.

Fathom has some great top-end detail, but it's hard to beat planars in terms of their transient speed, and this can definitely be felt with MR. As I've mentioned elsewhere, Supermoon has even more top-end sizzle to it than MR, and MR sits in between Fathom and SM here.

Another notable difference here is mid/vocal performance. Fathom's vocals are more forward, and presented with more richness, sweetness to them. MR's don't feel recessed to me, but I find one of the defining characteristics of Fathom to be its focus on vocal performance.

So overall I find MR to be the more neutral of the two, very even-keeled across the board and not really favoring any frequency bands but bringing that planar texture, timbre, and technical ability to the table (alliteration not intended :sweat_smile: ). While Fathom is sort of holding down that 'just-north-of-neutral' spot in the line-up previously held by classic Andro; with a bit more bass and vocal forwardness.

Hope this helps!

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 21, 2024 at 9:35 PM Post #1,268 of 1,320
Alright folks, I'm here with some notes re: Moon Rover vs. Fathom. A caveat to start, in terms of our broader line-up, these two sit pretty close to one another. I definitely consider these our closest to 'neutral' IEMs in our current line-up. So many differences noted here are more subtle than they would otherwise be when compared vs. something like Bonneville or Trifecta. So here are my thoughts after a couple hours of A/B-ing:

The most notable difference between these to me, is timbre. There's just a certain color and characteristic to planars that sets them apart. I think this stems from the size - making some rounder wider bass, with less of that kick-drum beat 'punch' - and the speed - creating that super fast, snappy hit in the snare and hi-hats - So though I feel that Fathom and Moon Rover are similarly balanced in terms of FR they provide a different flavor, maybe like lime vs lemon sparkling water haha. Overall MR feels more analytical than Fathom, but Fathom feels more analytical than much of our line-up, so not a huge delta there.

I mentioned MR's bass response, and I think that is a point of difference here. Fathom's has more of that physical hit while MR is rounder and wider. Similar volumes of bass, but very slightly more in Fathom.

Fathom has some great top-end detail, but it's hard to beat planars in terms of their transient speed, and this can definitely be felt with MR. As I've mentioned elsewhere, Supermoon has even more top-end sizzle to it than MR, and MR sits in between Fathom and SM here.

Another notable difference here is mid/vocal performance. Fathom's vocals are more forward, and presented with more richness, sweetness to them. MR's don't feel recessed to me, but I find one of the defining characteristics of Fathom to be its focus on vocal performance.

So overall I find MR to be the more neutral of the two, very even-keeled across the board and not really favoring any frequency bands but bringing that planar texture, timbre, and technical ability to the table (alliteration not intended :sweat_smile: ). While Fathom is sort of holding down that 'just-north-of-neutral' spot in the line-up previously held by classic Andro; with a bit more bass and vocal forwardness.

Hope this helps!
Thank you so much!!! Looks like I might be grabbing a moon rover :p

May 22, 2024 at 1:42 AM Post #1,269 of 1,320

Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot!!!

May 22, 2024 at 5:27 AM Post #1,270 of 1,320
Great impressions, thank you! :)

Trifecta is in a league all its own in my opinion. I can’t see myself ever letting go of it. Being able to have in ears that sound like a full size pair of headphones in your pocket is amazing. Older recordings really shine on it. I recently put on Creatures of the Night by KISS with my Trifecta and it immediately put a big smile on my face. I could feel my head rumble.

Solaris SH is one that I’ve been fortunate enough to demo 4 or 5 times. Each time I come away utterly impressed. It’s another one of a kind set, but in a totally different way than Trifecta. Seperation and resolution kill on those.

Having been a fan of Supermoon since it released, it’s super exciting hearing your thoughts on Moon Rover. I really hope to hear a set for myself one of these days. I love that they used the classic shell as well, it’s absolutely beautiful. I’m still holding out for a CFA planar with a similar tuning to Bonneville however. That’d be killer. :)
If MR was Bonny low(shelved 200hz down flat to 15) with Ara highs and a flat mid through the upper rise it would be the most insane sub 2k in ear on the market.

But there's physical constraints on single drivers 🤣 a miniature Audeze LCD-2 pre fazor would be mind blowing. But then again, with planers, diaphragm size is the name of the game.

What they did with that size driver is really impressive. Only downside, sucks up power.

May 22, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #1,271 of 1,320
Is the nozzle on the MR the same nozzle they used across all their 2020 models?? I’m trying to figure out if the custom tips I have for my classic andromedas will fit the MR. (My guess is it won’t but wanted to double check)

May 22, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #1,273 of 1,320
Is the nozzle on the MR the same nozzle they used across all their 2020 models?? I’m trying to figure out if the custom tips I have for my classic andromedas will fit the MR. (My guess is it won’t but wanted to double check)

The nozzle on MR is the same as Ara, Holocene, Mammoth, etc. Pretty different from the 'snub-nosed' Andro spouts, so you're correct that they probably won't fit your custom tips

Users who are viewing this thread

Back