Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Oct 19, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #121 of 5,394
Oct 19, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #123 of 5,394

I haven't taken the time to break these in yet as I just received them this morning so take this with a grain of salt, but I didn't even know I enjoyed bass this much until I heard it in such dynamic proportions of detail and amount.  It will be incredibly satisfying to see how these drivers sound in a few days when they are fully put through the paces.  Also, I appreciate the information straight from Campfire about breaking in these dynamic models in the previous posts.  This is why I love Head-Fi.  The manufacturer knows their materials best and there is simply no reason not to do it since it doesn't take any real effort.  I'm not a patient person, as I clearly pulled the trigger on these the second I received an email announcement from Campfire, but I'm told good things come to those who wait.

My favorite dynamic IEM before the Vega was the IE800, which has a slightly boosted bass that was pretty satisfying with many different genres of music.  Even without break-in, I can already tell that the Vega has more bass quantity than the IE800 to an enveloping degree while still offering textured detail.  I predict that the Vega will be the stuff of legends among bass head audiophiles.

The Andromeda also has excellent mid-bass and sub-bass extension for a balanced armature IEM, but I would say that the Vega is definitely my overall preference because of my predilection for dynamic drivers.

+1 on the bass. Every transducer I've heard with this kind of bass ended up with the low end bleeding into the mids and smearing them, which is not pleasant. I'm not a basshead by any means but I am struck by the quality, extension, and impact of the bass on the Vegas. It's so good that it's almost distracting (it's not overwhelming the FR but it's very prominent), and I can see it being too much for some people.

Oct 19, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #124 of 5,394
How is the treble compared to Andromeda, which I consider to have some of the best treble, if not THE best treble, I have ever heard (including the Utopia)?

Oct 19, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #125 of 5,394
Pretty sure it's MMCX. All of CA's stuff seems to use their proprietary MMCX cables. 

MMCX is a type of connector that is used by many different iem manufacturers. It is not proprietary to Campfire. Ibasso's new IT03 uses it, Final audio's F7200 uses it etc. it is a much better connector than the traditional two pin connector in that it won't come loose with repeated use. I love it.

Oct 19, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #126 of 5,394
I've heard people complain
about MMCX. I've only had it once, se846 and it was more troublesome than the standard 2 pin.

My buggy complaint is all of my good cables are 2 pin except my Whiplash 8 strand modular. I have to dig those up now. I think I know where I stashed them though.

I love the concept of MMCX, better than the 2 pin. Hopefully they nailed it.

Oct 19, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #127 of 5,394
MMCX is a type of connector that is used by many different iem manufacturers. It is not proprietary to Campfire. Ibasso's new IT03 uses it, Final audio's F7200 uses it etc. it is a much better connector than the traditional two pin connector in that it won't come loose with repeated use. I love it.

I know, I was referring to the metal alloy they use in the connectors. It's supposed to be much more robust than your standard MMCX connectors. At least that seemed to bear out when I tried to disconnect the Andro cable (fairly tough) vs the FX850/Pinnacle P1 (much easier)

Oct 19, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #128 of 5,394
How is the treble compared to Andromeda, which I consider to have some of the best treble, if not THE best treble, I have ever heard (including the Utopia)?

You are right the Andromeda does have the best treble. My understanding is that the Andro may be more precise and airy than the Vega due to the nature of the BA drivers, but the Vega is more organic and smooth. They are just two different type of sound and I wouldn't call one is an upgrade over the other. In fact I intend to keep both for when I am in different mood. I will find out for myself tomorrow morning when FedEx overnight shows up.

Oct 19, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #129 of 5,394

I haven't taken the time to break these in yet as I just received them this morning so take this with a grain of salt, but I didn't even know I enjoyed bass this much until I heard it in such dynamic proportions of detail and amount.  It will be incredibly satisfying to see how these drivers sound in a few days when they are fully put through the paces.  Also, I appreciate the information straight from Campfire about breaking in these dynamic models in the previous posts.  This is why I love Head-Fi.  The manufacturer knows their materials best and there is simply no reason not to do it since it doesn't take any real effort.  I'm not a patient person, as I clearly pulled the trigger on these the second I received an email announcement from Campfire, but I'm told good things come to those who wait.

My favorite dynamic IEM before the Vega was the IE800, which has a slightly boosted bass that was pretty satisfying with many different genres of music.  Even without break-in, I can already tell that the Vega has more bass quantity than the IE800 to an enveloping degree while still offering textured detail.  I predict that the Vega will be the stuff of legends among bass head audiophiles.

The Andromeda also has excellent mid-bass and sub-bass extension for a balanced armature IEM, but I would say that the Vega is definitely my overall preference because of my predilection for dynamic drivers.

More mid bass than the IE800! Wow, isn't it a bit too much bass?

Oct 19, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #130 of 5,394
  More mid bass than the IE800! Wow, isn't it a bit too much bass?

there will never be too much bass my friend
biggrin.gif
  ordered mine

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #131 of 5,394
Be awesome if campfire got in with the Adel tech. I won't buy another iem without it, Adel is a game changer. Campfire with Adel would be incredible!

Ken: go talk to those guys at asius:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back