Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Oct 3, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #4,486 of 9,829
I'm trying to find a balanced cable. Is the connector MMCX, and as long as they are MMCX, would work fine?

Absolutely. I am using ALO Litz 2.5, really appreciate the Campfire team putting the effort in tuning the stock cable.

Oct 4, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #4,487 of 9,829
So I’ve had the Andromedas + Ref 8 cable for a few weeks now, I came from the SE846 + sensaphonic custom sleeves. I love everything about how the andromeda’s sound, however after some time I get discomfort in my left ear due to the shape of the IEM. I’m tempted to pick up a pair of Vega’s as they look much smaller in pictures but I know they have a different sound signature to the Andros.

Any advice/recommendations? I listen to mainly EDM. I also bought the comply comfort tips which definitely helped the situation but it’s still a little discomforting.

Oct 4, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #4,488 of 9,829
So I’ve had the Andromedas + Ref 8 cable for a few weeks now, I came from the SE846 + sensaphonic custom sleeves. I love everything about how the andromeda’s sound, however after some time I get discomfort in my left ear due to the shape of the IEM. I’m tempted to pick up a pair of Vega’s as they look much smaller in pictures but I know they have a different sound signature to the Andros.

Any advice/recommendations? I listen to mainly EDM. I also bought the comply comfort tips which definitely helped the situation but it’s still a little discomforting.

nic's review on the Vega might help. At the end of the day it all depends on your preference as the Vega have a very very very different signature compared to the Andro. The vega is also relatively harder to drive compared to the Andro.

Rank #13:

I can’t say whether it’s due to the inherent properties of the advanced dynamic driver or Ken’s tuning choices, but Vega possesses one of the most unique signatures within this lineup. Ken clearly decided to step away from the audiophile pedestal of what is considered ‘right’, to what can be considered awesome – Vega is tuned with character. It’s a powerful type of sound, due to its significantly enhanced bass response. Saying Vega’s bass is north of neutral would be an understatement – Vega’s bass is the most enhanced in the shootout. That might make one think Vega leans towards a ‘fun’ tuning. But that isn’t necessarily the case – Vega sounds dead serious.

The reason being, is that Vega’s sound carries a lot of weight, propelled by its enhanced bass. It’s sub-bass not only has tremendous body, the enhanced mid- and upper-bass creates a rather thick and rich note structure. But even thought it’s a very full sound, it doesn’t necessarily sound overly warm. This was achieved by coloring the sound with a nice dose of treble, in order to balance the quantity of the bass. The result is a rather interesting cocktail, as neither the bass nor treble overpowers each other; notes are full-bodied, clearly articulated and well-defined, even in bass-heavy music. Interestingly, it sounds neither warm nor bright. Instead it sounds heavy, and impactful: Vega, the speaker.

Oct 4, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #4,489 of 9,829
nic's review on the Vega might help. At the end of the day it all depends on your preference as the Vega have a very very very different signature compared to the Andro. The vega is also relatively harder to drive compared to the Andro.

I forgot to add I also have the chord mojo so i believe driving it should be fine. I’m going to hunt down a pair of used Vega’s and see how I like them and I’ll go from there. Thank you for the quoted info in your post!

Oct 5, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #4,490 of 9,829
10% off offer on ALO and Campfire stuff apart from earphones, tempted to pick up a reference 8 cable with that

Oct 6, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #4,491 of 9,829
Currently, Noble Audio is flaunting a good deal on a collaborative version of the Kaiser 10, but the depressing thing is this: I don't give two malamutes' morphologies about it! Though the MD x Noble collaboration looks tremends, I only have one question:

When the schnell will the Andromeda return to Massdrop? Where the Helga are you, Strapping Master Ken Ball?

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #4,492 of 9,829
This is really sad when I get asked questions regularly on my gear if Andromeda is hissing.

This is just misinformed sad parroting. I have not experienced Andromeda hiss except on a phone during a call that probably has poor shielding on components.

But I have not heard it on any dap I've tried. It seems they all have low noise floors.

But it's like a stereotype. Maybe in a old computer or a device with a high noise floor.

I also listen to low gain and at low volumes because I only raise volume to what I need and wish to protect my hearing.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #4,493 of 9,829
I keep getting people PM me to ask about how the Andromeda CK white sounds.

According to about one month's listening,

I'd like to say that the Andromeda CK white has a slightly larger sound stage with boosted treble but a bit less bass comparing to the original Andromeda.

Yet, don't get me wrong, they are all sharing the same sound signature, but just a different tuned.

I not only did some AB at some time, but also do a period switch, like using one for a week then the other for next week.

Hopefully this can help some of you to make decision.

By the way, I've got a very bad case with Noble Audio, I bought their Kaiser Encore on 6/28 (Wizard birthday promotion, good deal).

The IEM came to me on 7/13, yet it didn't fit my ear at all (Tried all types of tips inside), so I returned it at the same day, and the package was delivered to them the next day.

Till today they still didn't give me refund, I cannot believe it! I have to contact my bank to help this case.

Not sure anyone had similar case like this, I'm really disappointed...

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #4,494 of 9,829
I keep getting people PM me to ask about how the Andromeda CK white sounds.

According to about one month's listening,

I'd like to say that the Andromeda CK white has a slightly larger sound stage with boosted treble but a bit less bass comparing to the original Andromeda.

Yet, don't get me wrong, they are all sharing the same sound signature, but just a different tuned.

I not only did some AB at some time, but also do a period switch, like using one for a week then the other for next week.

Hopefully this can help some of you to make decision.

By the way, I've got a very bad case with Noble Audio, I bought their Kaiser Encore on 6/28 (Wizard birthday promotion, good deal).

The IEM came to me on 7/13, yet it didn't fit my ear at all (Tried all types of tips inside), so I returned it at the same day, and the package was delivered to them the next day.

Till today they still didn't give me refund, I cannot believe it! I have to contact my bank to help this case.

Not sure anyone had similar case like this, I'm really disappointed...
:c that is really bad if you have to dispute with your bank for a refund a company can't give you.

Oct 7, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #4,495 of 9,829
:c that is really bad if you have to dispute with your bank for a refund a company can't give you.
Yea,yet I had no choice, was really tired of their customer service just kept playing "games" with me... Luckily, I got all the evidence on my side. : )

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #4,496 of 9,829
Last weekend i had the opportunity to demo the vega and andromeda. In terms of comfort and look i would choose the vega, but i fell in love with the sound of the andromeda, and i gives a * about look if the sound feels right^^ Im looking forward to a lot of hearing sessions.

Oct 10, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #4,500 of 9,829
Ref8 cable dispatched on Friday and delivered to the UK on Monday lol, that's pretty fast. Cable sounds slightly more open the the stock cable but it's microphonic as hell. I might have to get a cable clip for it or something because I can hear every slight rub against my lanyard or desk

I also bought a pack of those Symbio W tips based on the comments a couple pages ago to compare against my current JCV spiral dots. Strangely enough the treble is cleaner on the spiral dots whereas bass is punchier on the Symbio, but the seal on the symbio is much weaker for me. Medium on the Symbio is slightly too small whilst large is far too large and I can't even insert it so I'm going to stick with my spiral dots for now. Would be nice if they released more incremental sizes, but JVC are the only people I've seen do another version between SML

Users who are viewing this thread

Back