Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Jul 22, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #4,156 of 9,829
Depends on who you speak to. Some will say no, some will say yes. I personally burn in anything that I get in contact with/own, which could be in-ears of any type, headphones, DAC/Amps, speakers, etcetera, usually for at least 100 - 200+ hours before reviewing.

Sorry we couldn't meet at CanJam London so you could listen to my Andromeda, but glad you were able to listen to Ethan's Andromeda (we were probably the only two at the event that brought one). I was around both days, very easy to find, since I was in the main ballroom (I was in one spot in the main ballroom pretty much entirely the first day, and slowly went around to booths in the main ballroom the second day) and both days I wore custom Arsenal kits (either said my name [Saturday] or said "CanJam" [Sunday]). Hopefully next year if we both attend, we can meet, especially so you can listen to another Campfire Audio product. :slight_smile:

Enjoy your Andromeda! :right_facing_fist: (imagine a brown-skinned fistbump)
No problem, every time I started looking for you I got distracted, first CanJam. Next year I'll be getting a weekend pass for sure and maybe I'll where a Chelsea shirt :ksc75smile:. Ethan seems like a real nice guy, I think he over heard me talking about the Andromeda and said he had a pair if I wanted to try them. Met some great people there, even got my son hooked on Head gear and now he is a head fi member. Nice to have a bit of back up:smile_phones: I'll start saving for my next Campfire product for next year, look forward to meeting up. Thanks

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #4,157 of 9,829
No problem, every time I started looking for you I got distracted, first CanJam. Next year I'll be getting a weekend pass for sure and maybe I'll where a Chelsea shirt :ksc75smile:. Ethan seems like a real nice guy, I think he over heard me talking about the Andromeda and said he had a pair if I wanted to try them. Met some great people there, even got my son hooked on Head gear and now he is a head fi member. Nice to have a bit of back up:smile_phones: I'll start saving for my next Campfire product for next year, look forward to meeting up. Thanks
It's all gravy, my friend! Glad to hear that about you and your son, awesome! I also read on the CanJam London impressions thread (I haven't posted there yet) that you may give me a Chelsea shirt. If you do, I'll wear it!

Very smart idea to start saving -- there's bound to be something you'll thoroughly enjoy if we meet!

Jul 23, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #4,158 of 9,829
It's all gravy, my friend! Glad to hear that about you and your son, awesome! I also read on the CanJam London impressions thread (I haven't posted there yet) that you may give me a Chelsea shirt. If you do, I'll wear it!

Very smart idea to start saving -- there's bound to be something you'll thoroughly enjoy if we meet!
If I get you a Chelsea shirt you'll have to promise not to wear the Arsenal shirt lol
Now I have the Campfire badge, I'm really interested in their products. Beautifully crafted and a perfect sound to my ears. If I could not have anything else, I would be happy with the Andromeda.

Jul 23, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #4,159 of 9,829
If I get you a Chelsea shirt you'll have to promise not to wear the Arsenal shirt lol
Now I have the Campfire badge, I'm really interested in their products. Beautifully crafted and a perfect sound to my ears. If I could not have anything else, I would be happy with the Andromeda.
LOL - If only you knew the process it took for me to obtain the 2017-2018 Arsenal kit to make it custom! At least that alone, I have to wear it at some point. If only Chelsea was closer to both CanJam venues, it would have been my team. :grin:

Great choice with the Andromeda. It's still my favorite of their lineup. I'm also getting a new Snugs Only version for the Andromeda as well, as my first version wasn't the best it could be in my experience. I'll post my thoughts once I'm able to try it out.

Jul 23, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #4,160 of 9,829
LOL - If only you knew the process it took for me to obtain the 2017-2018 Arsenal kit to make it custom! At least that alone, I have to wear it at some point. If only Chelsea was closer to both CanJam venues, it would have been my team. :grin:

Great choice with the Andromeda. It's still my favorite of their lineup. I'm also getting a new Snugs Only version for the Andromeda as well, as my first version wasn't the best it could be in my experience. I'll post my thoughts once I'm able to try it out.
I'd be interested to about read about the Snugs. I was a bit concerned about the fit but in the end they are a really good fit and I think I prefer the shorter nozzle, which really suprised me.

Jul 23, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #4,161 of 9,829
I'm sure it's been asked numerous times throughout the 278 pages of this thread, but I would appreciate additional feedback or summary information on preferred pairing combinations for the Andros.. I researched and bought them based on a long thread on a different site and understand the impedance requirements but more feedback is always a good thing.

My preferred sound is between the HD800 and HD80S when both are running at their best. Treble and clarity first...... Bass is important but not my priority.

Pairings I've tried.....

iPhone SE - This is my preferred pairing from a tonal standpoint. I think they sound great and hiss is reasonable but I know presentation can be better.
Sony ZX2 (with audio enhancements turned off) - This was the number one pick on the "other sight". This is a good sound but it's a bit too warm for me and hides the highs. It sounds very nice but for my preference, it doesn't sound natural. I currently own this but am within the return period.
Sony WMA1 - Great player, nice sound but I the treble still felt held back. Things are suppose to improve with a balanced cable but frankly the lack of Tidal support proved more of a show stopper than I realized so I returned it.
AK70 - Closer to the iPhone SE but very limited sound stage.

I would frankly prefer a DAC/AMP combo vs a DAP since I stream most of my music from my MAC or iPhone via Tidal Hifi / Roon.

Chord Mojo - I own - Way too much bass and even with an IEMatch the sound does not work for me with the Andro
Chord Hugo 2 - I own - A better match than the Mojo with less bass but it still requires an IEMatch and the sound does not grab me as much as it does with the iPhone. This blows me away since this DAC is amazing with all of my other HP's.
Woo Audio WA8 - I own - I use this tube DAC/AMP with my HD800S and LOVE it. I do not know the impedance but assume it's well above 1. The mids and highs are actually great with this pairing but bass swings too far in the opposite direction and becomes too light. Frankly it makes them closer to my old HD800's which isn't a bad thing but still not ideal and not the mobile solution I'm looking for.

I've seen the IFI Black addition recommended but have not tried it, yet. What other solutions are working for all you "treble heads"?

Jul 23, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #4,162 of 9,829
I'm sure it's been asked numerous times throughout the 278 pages of this thread, but I would appreciate additional feedback or summary information on preferred pairing combinations for the Andros.. I researched and bought them based on a long thread on a different site and understand the impedance requirements but more feedback is always a good thing.

My preferred sound is between the HD800 and HD80S when both are running at their best. Treble and clarity first...... Bass is important but not my priority.

Pairings I've tried.....

iPhone SE - This is my preferred pairing from a tonal standpoint. I think they sound great and hiss is reasonable but I know presentation can be better.
Sony ZX2 (with audio enhancements turned off) - This was the number one pick on the "other sight". This is a good sound but it's a bit too warm for me and hides the highs. It sounds very nice but for my preference, it doesn't sound natural. I currently own this but am within the return period.
Sony WMA1 - Great player, nice sound but I the treble still felt held back. Things are suppose to improve with a balanced cable but frankly the lack of Tidal support proved more of a show stopper than I realized so I returned it.

I would frankly prefer a DAC/AMP combo vs a DAP since I stream most of my music from my MAC or iPhone via Tidal Hifi / Roon.

Chord Mojo - I own - Way too much bass and even with an IEMatch the sound does not work for me with the Andro
Chord Hugo 2 - I own - A better match than the Mojo with less bass but it still requires an IEMatch and the sound does not grab me as much as it does with the iPhone. This blows me away since this DAC is amazing with all of my other HP's.
Woo Audio WA8 - I own - I use this tube DAC/AMP with my HD800S and LOVE it. I do not know the impedance but assume it's well above 1. The mids and highs are actually great with this pairing but bass swings too far in the opposite direction and becomes too light. Frankly it makes them closer to my old HD800's which isn't a bad thing but still not ideal and not the mobile solution I'm looking for.

I've seen the IFI Black addition recommended but have not tried it, yet. What other solutions are working for all you "treble heads"?
I'm pretty new to all this, so not had the chance to try out all these different combinations. I use the Ibasso DX200, the bass is there, nice and punchy but certainly not bass heavy. Treble and mids are very detailed, the DX200 has been called a detail monster. Andromedas are running out of the 2.5 balanced output and there is no hiss. If you can get to have a listen to one, it might be worth a try. Good luck

Jul 24, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #4,163 of 9,829

Pairings I've tried.....

Great post, thanks for your impressons. I think too that Campfire IEMs sounds great with iPhones, with Jupiter it was completely hiss free and sound was very good, what to want more. When I will get Andromeda I think iPhone will be for me enough. But I heard from one my friend that Andro is a little more sensitive so here can be maybe very little hiss from iPhone, who knows.

As regards DAC/amp, do not know sorry :D but I have similar experience when I had at home Hugo, I did not like it much with IEM was not ideal but with full size headphone was quite fine.

Jul 24, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #4,164 of 9,829

Pairings I've tried.....

James444 came up with an easy way to reduce bass in IEMs. https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/jvc-ha-fx850-iem-woody.703874/page-28#post_11162329

You can also make a hole in the tip stem above the tip but you'd need to know what diameter was best ahead of time.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #4,167 of 9,829
Now you have to buy them! LOL
Already did, I tried them in the DX80 because I've sent the DX200 back because of the dreaded ghost swipe. Hopefully get the replacement next week. I've had the Andromedas about a week or so and paired with the DX200 are match made in heaven. Great synergy, very very hard to stop listening even though you know you have to get up for work in a few hours. Haven't watched any TV since I got them :ksc75smile:

Jul 29, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #4,168 of 9,829
Is it me or do the spinfits kill the treble, boost the bass and introduces a bit of warm signature? I was having issues with the Chord Mojo untill I changed the tips to the silicones. Now they sound more neutral. But still not as good as the 12.9 iPad Pro (2017) though which also happens to be hiss free.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #4,169 of 9,829
Is it me or do the spinfits kill the treble, boost the bass and introduces a bit of warm signature? I was having issues with the Chord Mojo untill I changed the tips to the silicones. Now they sound more neutral. But still not as good as the 12.9 iPad Pro (2017) though which also happens to be hiss free.

Its impossible to classify what tips will do generally, because everyone has a different ear canal. Typically for me, Spinfits will cut bass, and enhance upper mid-range and treble - but I'm almost certaint hat this is seal related. I've modified a pair (foam inners, spin-fit outers, and they are much better. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can't classify a tip saying they will "do this" generally. Things like insertion depth, insertion angle and seal will all have a far greater influence on frequency. They could be related to the tip (for you personally) but vary from person to person.

Jul 30, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #4,170 of 9,829

Spinfit tips tend to make bass leaner and attenuate upper-mid~treble, but YMMV.
Due to mojo's extremely low zout, Andromeda will sound a little too bassy and slightly lacking in upper mids~treble which spinfit tips might just do the job.
You are experiencing the exact opposite of what you said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back