Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Apr 19, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #166 of 9,829
I have not heard the latest iteration of the Nova. What I did hear, was a mid centric sound.

Ken did say that it's still going to retain that character but it's supposedly much improved.

I can't comment on the final tuning. But I will get back to you guys regarding the nova once I have received the review units.

Apr 19, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #167 of 9,829
  Somebody needs to reply to the several inquiries about what the Nova sounds like. There is absolutely no info or talk about the Nova. Need some sound bytes.

Also if Ken could confirm if the housing is smaller on the Nova than the Andromeda or the Jupiter. Is it the same size as the Orion?

Gurus,

Yes all the shells are identical, Orion, Nova, Jupiter and Andromeda.

The Nova is much like the Orion only with a more powerful presence and has a more low end weight. I think its quite balanced and controlled and quite smooth with no fatigue.... We are going to be sending out review units soon so you will see some early impressions.

Thank you,

Ken 

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Apr 19, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #168 of 9,829
I won't comment on the shure as I haven't tried that, but the andromeda is in my opinion (to my ears), more accurate and technically proficient by a clear margin than the other IEMs mentioned there
smily_headphones1.gif
. And I have a k10 myself, so no incentive for me to put it down
smily_headphones1.gif

A fair (in both price and configuration) comparison with the savant would be the new Nova, now that would be an exciting comparison!

That is actually what I meant to write I think. They are the same price point more or less and I'd love to hear how they stack up. Especially with the preorder price!

Also, I don't totally understand what you mean with the K10 comparison. You mean to say that Andromeda didn't entice you to stop using K10?

Apr 19, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #169 of 9,829
Gurus,

Yes all the shells are identical, Orion, Nova, Jupiter and Andromeda.

The Nova is much like the Orion only with a more powerful presence and has a more low end weight. I think its quite balanced and controlled and quite smooth with no fatigue.... We are going to be sending out review units soon so you will see some early impressions.

Thank you,

Ken 
Ken will you be doing loaner units for reviews by head fi members or will it be only professional sites? If it will be for head fi'ers i would be interested in taking part.

Apr 19, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #171 of 9,829

That is actually what I meant to write I think. They are the same price point more or less and I'd love to hear how they stack up. Especially with the preorder price!

Also, I don't totally understand what you mean with the K10 comparison. You mean to say that Andromeda didn't entice you to stop using K10?

"so no incentive for me to put it down" = no reason for him to insult or degrade the K10.

Apr 19, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #172 of 9,829
The K10 is awesome, but if I had to pick between the K10 and Andromeda regardless of price, for my preference I would take the Andromeda. Your mileage may vary.

Soundwise they are side grades to each other. Buildwise, it's advantage Andromeda, as long as the MMCX hold up on them. After talking to the Campfire guys, they said their MMCX is more durable than the industry standard. Looking closely at them it seems to be a bit more solid than most MMCX.

Apr 19, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #173 of 9,829
I actually think it's surpassed it on the technical front by quite a bit
smily_headphones1.gif

If he meant to say the andrmeda wasn't enough to entice him into putting down the k10, it'd clearly be contradictory to what he said earlier. He was in agreement with what hisoundfi said, but then he went further to say it's technically superior to the k10. 

Apr 19, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #176 of 9,829
you got me right, The andromeda has, in my opinion, surpassed the K10.

Do bear in mind though that the K10 was never meant to be a technically incredible IEM. it was always more about the tuning and musicality.

Apr 19, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #177 of 9,829
  How does it compare to the Shure 846? Would anybody be able to comment? Thanks in advance!

Hi doofalb, I've lived with the 846 for 2 years and only recently switched to the Jupiter and did hear the Andromeda this weekend. The 846 to my ears is very detailed but narrow with little to no sound stage. The 846 sounds like an in-ear. The new Campfires offer more warmth, fuller sound, and more of an on-ear / open sound. They are not clinical sounding as say K10, UM, or even some of the upper tier Empire Ears offerings. If you want studio mastering, I would look else where. If you want a full room listening experience that is very engaging then the Jupiter or Andromeda would be the way to go.

FYI, I already own the Jupiter and I'm still getting to know this IEM so I'll probably resist the urge to "upgrade" to the Andromeda anytime soon.

Apr 19, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #179 of 9,829
The K10 is awesome, but if I had to pick between the K10 and Andromeda regardless of price, for my preference I would take the Andromeda. Your mileage may vary.

Soundwise they are side grades to each other. Buildwise, it's advantage Andromeda, as long as the MMCX hold up on them. After talking to the Campfire guys, they said their MMCX is more durable than the industry standard. Looking closely at them it seems to be a bit more solid than most MMCX.

I agree, my friend.  Looking forward to your full review!

I'm jumping on the hype train early for a reason. After one listen you guys will see why.

And by the way, the metallic green looks sexy with the white cable. If I end up with a pair I might even buy a green shirt
smily_headphones1.gif

I like headphones

Just like I posted for the HyperDynamic:

Do bear in mind though that the K10 was never meant to be a technically incredible IEM. it was always more about the tuning and musicality.

I agree with your statement as well. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 19, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #180 of 9,829

True that. Your comment brings to mind the reviews I read on the earsonics s em6. While it's said to not be one of the most technically proficient high end iems, it does well enough while concurrently maintaining an excellent sense of emotion and musicality. I'm glad to hear that the andromeda seems as good as or better than the k10 in terms of technicalities. I just hope it also has a good balance between that and emotion and musicality.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back