camille's trek through the IEM/canalphone-dom [56k, watch out]
Feb 12, 2007 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

camille

1000+ Head-Fier
My portable setup isn't entirely complete as I wanted, but it's going in the right direction. I tried to compile and search for any photos I may have kept or posted in forums pertaining, but seemed to only fish out about a couple or so (which seemed to be the ones I'm looking for)

But enough of that, it seemed like a long journey but the search is now over.

September 2005:

DSC00152_00.jpg

I was still in that buying frenzy after landing my first job, and splurged on ER-6is at full price. Of course, this was pre Head-Fi (don't let the registered date fool you), as I would easily bought it at a much cheaper price. I actually liked the sound that the ER-6i produced, problem was that the cable was real flimsy and one fateful day while on the SkyTrain, one of the TriFlanges got stuck in my ear. I knew it would happen again and again, so it was quite the turn off. I stopped using them soon after. I wish the comply tips weren't so damn worn out, I would've used them. Remember, this was Pre Head-Fi and I didn't realize Shure foamies would be the saving grace for these ER-6is. C'est la vie. Sold them in favour of Shure E3 (which then was sold soon after.)

October/November 2006

2gcamilleshuffleye2.jpg

The search for a decent IEM had halted almost a whole year before buying Sony MDR-EX90s. Notice the great downgrade to Uber-portability w/ the 2G iPod Shuffle. Granted, the EX90 are canalphones, but from what I heard, they were worlds better than the erstwhile EX71s. At first listen, I liked them, what's more they sounded just awesome modded. though finding a right fit was the challenge. The driver housing was huge, and didn't fit well in the ear. The other problem (which I have with many Sony earphones) is the J-style cord. It's just not the right kind to use in this situation. The cord weight gets shifted all to the left earphone, and you'd be finding yourself adjusting that left one at least every 5 minutes. Not cool. Sold those as a result.

November 2006-February 2007

FX33setup.jpg

Again, yet another downgrade as upon reading a thread about $25 canalphones that, yes kicked the EX71s ace in terms of sound; you can tell I'm not the biggest EX71 fan. The JVC HA-FX33 (or Marshmallows) for me definitely lived up to the hype. Easily worth the $25 I spent; on par with the KSC-75 for those dirt-cheap deals IMO. I will hold on to them as a beater pair.

February 2007

ES2_porta-1.jpg

at last, the IEM search is now complete. The portable setup altogether is far from finished. I knew I was through with universal IEMs. Enter the Westone ES2s. I think it was those or UE-5cs, but upon reading the mega-thread of the ES2s, I was convinced. So a massive firesale commenced shortly after the winter BC meet. They're not put to the very limit, but that will come in due time. I am loving every bit of them now. I don't even think the Custom Westone 3 will perk my interest in a new IEM; I am seriously done searching.

cheers!

Feb 12, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 23
plainface.gif

I thought we'd @ least get some pics of you other than that profile avatar....

BOOOOOO! your trek.....
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif
haha

Feb 12, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 23
copycat
evil_smiley.gif
I kid I kid!!!
biggrin.gif
Eye candy is always good!

Is is coincidence or what that we both downgraded our gear at one point in our journeys?
tongue.gif
[sorry if that didn't look like English to you
wink.gif
I am too lazy to go back and rephrase it yet I have the motivation to write this...]

Feb 12, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 23
lol, grats on finding your ideal portable rig. I hope the curse fades away after this. For me, it has no but I have no intention of it fading away any time soon
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 23
The ES2's really shine with a Hornet
very_evil_smiley.gif

amps.jpg

Feb 12, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #6 of 23
Pink Marshmallows and pink customs? Sometimes, I just have trouble believing you're a guy
wink.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 23
Yo. I think the pink thing has gone a bit far.

KIDDING!
smily_headphones1.gif

But those are very neon. LOL, do they glow in the dark? (I know they don't.)

You should join me and get a pink mix-style to mod up.

Feb 13, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #10 of 23
How well does the nano drive those? Is it pretty much the same as the standard ipod?

Feb 13, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

amps.jpg

Ditto.

Feb 13, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #12 of 23
wow, yet another vancouverite on the forums.
roastpuff pointed me out this site over a year ago, and here i am now.

where do you get your audio stuff in the city. it seems everybody has the grados, but nobody has nice beyers or senns. and no iem's to be found anywhere.

Feb 13, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

damn, 2 Hornets!!
blink.gif
Hook it up!!

seriously, I have my sets on some RSA amp -- either Tomahawk or Hornet. all depends on when i get my tax refund...
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile
Pink Marshmallows and pink customs? Sometimes, I just have trouble believing you're a guy

Is it that farfetched? As a guy, I have no problem upgrading from one pink canalphone to a pink IEM...
tongue.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #15 of 23
I only have one but I have two cases for it
biggrin.gif
If you can make it to the meet it would be a great opportunity for you to plug in to several different portables to see what you like best with the ES2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back