Camera Gear in Japan?
May 8, 2007 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

fureshi

Headphoneus Supremus
hey guys, i'm here in japan right now on a business trip and just wondering if anyone knows where to go to get camera gear at a decent price. i know there's akihabara, a nikon store in Ginza across from the Nissan showroom and also near the south exit at Shinjuku there are supposed to be lots of used camera gear stores. does anyone else know of any other places that you can suggest?

May 8, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 13
In Akihabara station there's a Yodobashi Camera, which are pretty hard to beat. It's one of the main exits, assuming you weren't talking about that. Electric Town is pretty sweet as well, heh.

May 9, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #3 of 13
thanks marados. i'm already planning on going to akiba on saturday for headphone, camera gear shopping but just wondering if there was anywhere else that had decent prices. akiba isn't always that cheap since it's so well known.

May 9, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #4 of 13
Yes, Yodobashi Camera is an absolute must. And not just for the camera gear.

You also must make it to Dynamic Audio when you are in Akiba. Headphones are on the first floor, where you can sit down and relax while listening to just about any top quality headphone.

Also, check out the High-end Audio Lab (HAL) on the 7th floor IIRC. Probably some of the most expensive and amazing sounding audio gear that you're likely to come across.

There are two Dynamic Audio stores across the street from each other. One is for used gear, the other for new. You want the new gear store, which has the headphones on display at street level.

Sorry that I can't describe exactly where it is, but it is on one of the main streets (pretty close to the JR Station), that runs perpindicular to the main street, which I think is called Showa Dori.

Ask around and I'm sure someone will be able to help you find it.

Good luck,

Rob

May 9, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #5 of 13
Heh, I'm about to head back to Tokyo for a few weeks and am also gonna look for some camera gear...

I got this list from another site (rangefinderforum.com), so I haven't checked them myself. But I have passed by many of them while I was living in Japan (before I got into this camera thing) and I imagine they're all quite good:

Quote:

MAP CAMERA, Shinjuku, Tokyo.
MAP CAMERA, SHIJUKU.
MAP CAMERA started life as part of SOFTMAP, a computer retailer.
Map camera is located in Two separate buildings on the west side of Shinjuku Station.
About a 5 minute walk from the West and south exits.

Map Camera Building 1 "FilmCameraStore" Contains:

B1 Floor: New & Secondhand Cameras from Leica RF & SLR, Nikon RF, Canon RF, Cosina Voightlander, Zeiss ZM, Russian/Chinese RF, Hasselblads, MF & LF Cameras & Lenses, Bags, Straps and their latest section on Collectable Watches & Pens.
2nd Floor: New Cameras & Lenses from, Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Map Camera's own Accesories (Filters, Adapters etc) and a Book setion.
3rd Floor: Secondhand Cameras & Lenses by, Canon, Minolta, Pentax, Olympus,
Konica, Binoculars and MF Pentax's and Bronica's
4th Floor: Secondhand Cameras & Lenses by, Nikon, Contax, MF Mamiyas and Fuji and Light meters.
6th Floor: This is their Trade/Purchase valuation office. So If you wanted to part exchange or sell (Outright/Consignment) some equiptment this is where to take it.

Map Camera Building 2 "DigitalCameraStore" Contains:

2nd Floor: DSLR Floor, New & Secondhand DSLR Cameras & Lenses.
3rd Floor: New & Secondhand Compacts and P&S Digitals, Memory cards and accesories. ( EPSON RD-1 is here)

MAP RENTALS

Map Camera also has a rental sevice, The office is diagonally opposite Map Camera 2, and is called Map rentals, They have everything from DSLRS & Lenses to Video cameras to AV equpment for rent. Need Passport and Credit card to rent.

Map Camera Web Page is Here
Tel : Map1 = 03-3342-3381 Map2 = 03-3342-3381
Business hours : Daily 10:30~20:30
Address : 1-13-6, Nishi-Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, 160-0023

Map Camera does have an English enquiry form....
They have a lot of equiptment on the net but purchasing from abroad???
If you are a member of this forum I would be willing to look into helping out with a Purchase...It would cost you a beer or two!
Well this is shop #1 It will take a while to get the rest done so please bear with me, and if someone else wants to Tackle one of the other shops Please feel free!!
Mike

Shinjuku Secondhand Camera Market

The Secondhand Camera market is a Shop in Shinjuku very close to Map Cameras.
The Shop is located on the second floor above a Shoe store called ABC Mart.
ABC Mart has a big bright yellow sign and is hard to miss.
Secondhand Camera Market, as the name implies, only has secondhand equipment,
The shop is quite small but manages to stock a lot of equipment. most of their inventory is classic camera gear and the majority I suspect is on Consignment.
You won't find dslrs or many digitals, nor a lot of autofocus gear.

RF GEAR : Leica, Nikon, Canon, Contax, CV, Russian, Fixed Lens RFs
(They have quite a selection of RF Lenses & Accessories inc Russian Lenses.)
SLR Gear : Nikon, Canon, Contax, Pentax, Olympus.
some less common Miranda, Topcon, older Minolta, Olympus Pen Fs.
MF & LF Gear : Hasselblads, Pentax, Mamiya, Makina, Linhoff, Horseman and Sinars.

They also have quite a large "JUNK" section which houses Cameras, Lenses and Accessories with minor problems to ones that look like they are beyond repair. A good source for donor parts.
There is also a large selection of Camera Brochures and Manuals.
This is also the place where I had my Canon RF Lens and a couple of other lenses CLAd.
Quite reasonably priced and good workmanship.

Shinjuku Secondhand Camera Market
(in Japanese: Shinjuku chuko camera ichi-ba)
No web presence.
Tel & Fax: 03-3348-0118
Business Hours:
Address : 1-13-2, Nishi-Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, 160

One of the better shops to try and find hard to find Accesories!

You should log into rangefinderforum.com and check the "photo club" forum for the Japan group/thread, and the full list is there.

How long you gonna be in town? I'll be there Fri for a bit more than two weeks.

Best,

-Jason

May 9, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #6 of 13
Isn't gear in Japan relatively more expensive than if you were to just buy it in the US?

May 9, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, I'm about to head back to Tokyo for a few weeks and am also gonna look for some camera gear...

I got this list from another site (rangefinderforum.com), so I haven't checked them myself. But I have passed by many of them while I was living in Japan (before I got into this camera thing) and I imagine they're all quite good:

You should log into rangefinderforum.com and check the "photo club" forum for the Japan group/thread, and the full list is there.

How long you gonna be in town? I'll be there Fri for a bit more than two weeks.

Best,

-Jason

thanks jason. this was exactly what i was looking for. i also remember passing by map camera a few times but never went in as i wasn't into photography either at that time. i'm here until sunday and will probably use saturday as a shopping day. let me know if you want to meet up. i'm staying at a hotel in shiodome.

rlanger, thanks for the suggestions. i've been to dynamic audio a few times before and am usually amazed by their selection.

May 9, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks jason. this was exactly what i was looking for. i also remember passing by map camera a few times but never went in as i wasn't into photography either at that time. i'm here until sunday and will probably use saturday as a shopping day. let me know if you want to meet up. i'm staying at a hotel in shiodome.

Cool - I probably can't get away from obligations (meeting the mother-in-law... and other husbandly duties
wink.gif
) for this weekend, so we'll have to meet up some other time (actually, I'm in San Jose with my parents at the moment!) Good luck, and let us know if you find any great finds while shopping!

Best,

-Jason

May 9, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool - I probably can't get away from obligations (meeting the mother-in-law... and other husbandly duties
wink.gif
) for this weekend, so we'll have to meet up some other time (actually, I'm in San Jose with my parents at the moment!) Good luck, and let us know if you find any great finds while shopping!

have fun on your trip here! i haven't been here for about a year so it feels nice just being here.

May 10, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't gear in Japan relatively more expensive than if you were to just buy it in the US?

i would not say so... just that they don't keep gear around for 3 years and call it new and sell it at amazing price. everything is new basically. i found some great used shops not far from sofmap in akihabara, not far, but i don't remember where; i'd have to walk those lanes again. see you later

May 10, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would not say so... just that they don't keep gear around for 3 years and call it new and sell it at amazing price. everything is new basically. i found some great used shops not far from sofmap in akihabara, not far, but i don't remember where; i'd have to walk those lanes again. see you later

Hmm...I was always under the impression that, like Europe, everything was more expensive in Japan. Oh well.

May 10, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i'd have to agree. everything here in japan seems to be the latest and greatest and with the exchange rate, it's slightly more affordable in japan. it looks like i'll be spending a few hrs in akiba on saturday walking the lanes anyways so i'll keep my eyes peeled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back