Cambridge Audio Azur 851D Digital Preamplifier/DAC/Headphone Amp
Mar 2, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #16 of 19
Thanks, Jim.

I increasingly think the AD1955 chips used here and in the Emo DC1 are largely responsible for the great sound.

I just evaluated the Emo against the vaunted NAD M 51, and prefer the Emo DC1 in my system, at a quarter of the cost.

I may just try out the 851 D to confirm this.

Stay tuned!

Hi Bill,

I have no doubt the AD1955s are good DAC chips and have read much about them.   At the same time, I do not think there can be any true magic to these chips that would eliminate the very significant variables in sound signature of overall circuit design, output stages, supply regulation, and even digital/analog filtering used.     It would be interesting to read your comparison from one similar design to another, highlighting these other variables as they manifest themselves.   For the 851D, just the digital filter chosen through the DSP made a huge different to me -- as outlined in the linked review.   Infact, if it didn't have a linear choice, the unit would have found its way returned out of digital fatigue.      Now some of these other units don't have such filtering options, yet with the significant other variables contributing to their sound --- this doesn't mean that much to me.     A real direct comparison would be necessary.

Best to you

Jim

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #18 of 19
Cambridge audio has always made good sounding digital equipment, even in their early CD players. Now they use advanced technology and designed and manufacture their equipment in China to keep the cost down. However, I  can say that their 851C CD player with digital inputs is truly exceptional and easily rivals more expensive DACs. The 851D should be at the top of it's class in terms of performance. DACs like the Musical fidelity M6DAC, Bryston BDA-2 or NAD M51 are better but also cost a fair amount more and to many people, the price in difference wouldn't justify the difference in cost. I own the Bryston but could have easily gone for the Cambridge 851C and not miss all that much. Still, the prospect of discrete componentry in both input and output stage on the Bryston swayed me in that direction and it was a bit more refined DAC so I got that insread. But I can clearly see how to many those advantages wouldn't be worth the extra premium.

Cheers!
Antun

Users who are viewing this thread

Back