calling KOREANS!!!!!!!
Sep 29, 2010 at 6:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

wind016

Headphoneus Supremus
im currently in Seoul for vacation and travel. I know it's a long shot, but i was wondering if anyone knew some great headphones stores in the area. I've seen some excellent stores carrying Beyer T1 and various Audio Techs, but I would really appreciate more locations.

Thanks in advance!

Joe

Sep 30, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #6 of 21
Buy some movies while you're there. South Korean movies are so good. I suggest "Peppermint Candy".

Wonder if any headphones are made in South Korea? Probably not.

Only been to Hong Kong, but I want to visit South Korea and Japan sometime.

Oct 1, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #7 of 21

Quote:
@tisbob
funny comment :p but they are really good it at, though!

Well it is a professional sport =p: http://www.cracked.com/article_18763_5-insane-true-facts-about-starcraft-professional-sport.html

Oct 1, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #8 of 21
I see some Starcraft when I feel like it, and yeah, they are very good. Even some friends around me...when they play, I go dizzy when I watch their playing.

For the headphone shops, there aren't many here. The biggest here is the Kukje Midi at Yongsan Station. Anything you find at the other shops you can pretty much hear it there.

Map(the location is A) :
http://map.naver.com/index.nhn?enc=b64&dlevel=12&mapMode=0&query=7Jqp7IKwIOyVhOydtO2MjO2BrOuqsA%3D%3D&menu=location&siteOrder=185276552&stab=SITE_1%3B1&queryRank=1&enc=b64

and here is the list of what you can hear there
http://headphoneland.co.kr/board/board.asp?n=3624&m=view&s=notice&p=1

Although my English is not that good if you need help with some Korean pm me
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #9 of 21

Quote:

Well it is a professional sport =p: http://www.cracked.com/article_18763_5-insane-true-facts-about-starcraft-professional-sport.html

wow they really do take the game seriously huh
o2smile.gif

Oct 1, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #10 of 21
I was there recently in end of July. Was able to demo many headphones!  Certainly a better place to demo headphones than places here in North America.

The two major places to visit are Kukje Midi, as mentioned earlier, as well as the Headphoneshop which is located nearby on the 5th floor of the i'Park Mall at Yongsan station.  The latter is easy to find, but the former you will have to walk from the station a bit.  These two places should cover most Sennheiser, Beyer, Audio Technica, AKG, and Ultrasone headphones.  Also look out for many bookstores scattered across town (like Kyobo Bookstores); most of these stores have an music/audio section and they usually have some lower end headphones you are able to demo (typically lower end Shures, Phiaton, AT, etc).

Also, in the basement floor of Mokdong Hyundai department store (located at the west end of town), there was a place where you could demo Denons, Phiatons, and AT's, as well as many different IEM's.  Demo'ed the D5000, 7000 and ESW9 there.

Have fun!

Oct 1, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #11 of 21
One of Headfi's sponsors: SoundCAT is also located in Yongsan and at the same station is headphone.kr where I bought my ES7. But honestly, Korea is more expensive than your native land for headphones. If you want to try some out, go ahead, but be prepared to pay 10%-50% more for each phone. Of course, you might get discount and tax is included, but if you want anything but Phiaton, it is expensive.

Oct 1, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #12 of 21
Oh yeah, if you are good enough in Korean then DO feel free to haggle for a better price.  Store owners actually expect this, especially at Yongsan.  However, like Shigzeo said, headphones over there are overpriced (even after you haggle) so if you want to purchase them then I'd buy them elsewhere, unless you want Phiatons (made in Korea thus cheaper) or come across some rare AT's that are hard to come by in North America.  Nice place to demo, but not so much to buy.

Oct 1, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #13 of 21
O.M.G. Thanks alot everyone!!!! You helped SOOOO much!  Headphones in Korea do seem more expensive, but since I'm here for a month I might as well demo them. I am quite surprised and wondering why the headphones are so expensive...

Starcraft 2 does look sick btw...

Oct 1, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
O.M.G. Thanks alot everyone!!!! You helped SOOOO much!  Headphones in Korea do seem more expensive, but since I'm here for a month I might as well demo them. I am quite surprised and wondering why the headphones are so expensive...

Starcraft 2 does look sick btw...

No problem.  Hope you have fun!  Also, if you can read Korean fine try browsing here for a lot of good info:  www.goldenears.net

Quote:
I see some Starcraft when I feel like it, and yeah, they are very good. Even some friends around me...when they play, I go dizzy when I watch their playing.

For the headphone shops, there aren't many here. The biggest here is the Kukje Midi at Yongsan Station. Anything you find at the other shops you can pretty much hear it there.

Map(the location is A) :
http://map.naver.com/index.nhn?enc=b64&dlevel=12&mapMode=0&query=7Jqp7IKwIOyVhOydtO2MjO2BrOuqsA%3D%3D&menu=location&siteOrder=185276552&stab=SITE_1%3B1&queryRank=1&enc=b64

and here is the list of what you can hear there
http://headphoneland.co.kr/board/board.asp?n=3624&m=view&s=notice&p=1

Although my English is not that good if you need help with some Korean pm me
biggrin.gif

Are you a member of either Seeko or Goldenears communities btw?  I browse those two forums quite often but it's too bad I can't contribute since I'm really bad at writing Korean (I can read perfectly though).
redface.gif

Oct 1, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
Headphones in Korea do seem more expensive, but since I'm here for a month I might as well demo them. I am quite surprised and wondering why the headphones are so expensive...

Thats a good question, let us know when your back! I never been to korea but would like to visit sometime. 
They are good at making Dragon ball headphones. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back